Blaser 470??

Hi Guepard

I have always followed up with a Sauer in a .375 H&H. I really enjoy that rifle that was until managed to find my dream double i was not sold on a particular make but when i held the Blaser S2 the beaver tail forestock which keeps your fingers from getting burned the fact i can shoot 20 rounds at the rang and walk away with out any issues from hurt trigger fingers to bruised shoulders sold this double for me.
I have spend a bit of time loading for it and this was the only point i had to figure out as i was fairly new in the reloading game when i started with the 470NE rounds. I have thus figured this much out.

Sonchen S385 - 108gr
Pereguin 500gr monilithic solid and i shoot it just fine.
Total over all lentgh 4"

that is what is working for me but as i said i am still learning.

I have carried the rifle for about 2 years now and i don't think there would be a penetration issue.
one thing that always remains the same bullet placement but with that extra bit of size the margin of error increases just that little bit. Bullet placement will however remain an essential.
As was said when we started bow hunting " a small hole in the heart is better than a big hole anywhere else"

I am going to shoot with it today and will see if i can send a grouping pic. In my defence i might not be the best bench shooter but i in the field i can hold my own.

hope this has you on the way to the store if there is anything else feel free to ask.

Shot Shot

Last edited by a moderator:
Just back from Mozambique and Coutada 14 and had just the situation that makes this rifle such a gem. Had the scoped .375 barrels in place and loaded with a pair of TSXs. Son anchored a bull which blew up the herd, and a very old lone bull stopped at about 80 yards giving me a slight quartering away shot. I was able to double tap him with a LxR which put him down almost instantly ensuring no hairy follow-ups in the surrounding, submerged tall grass marsh. Used the rifle with '06 barrels mounted for most of the remainder of the two weeks.

Just back from Mozambique and Coutada 14 and had just the situation that makes this rifle such a gem. Had the scoped .375 barrels in place and loaded with a pair of TSXs. Son anchored a bull which blew up the herd, and a very old lone bull stopped at about 80 yards giving me a slight quartering away shot. I was able to double tap him with a LxR which put him down almost instantly ensuring no hairy follow-ups in the surrounding, submerged tall grass marsh. Used the rifle with '06 barrels mounted for most of the remainder of the two weeks.

Perfecto !

I have one in .500 NE, Only bought it recently, feels and shoots brilliant.

Hi Jono, thank for your reply.

Hi Red Leg,

I'm convinced of the effectiveness of 375 H&H on larger animals. I took my buffalo caffer this spring 2014 with 375 H&H.

However, let me ask you why did not you used your S2 with the 500/416 barrels for this trip? Thank you.

Hi Jono, thank for your reply.

Hi Red Leg,

I'm convinced of the effectiveness of 375 H&H on larger animals. I took my buffalo caffer this spring 2014 with 375 H&H.

However, let me ask you why did not you used your S2 with the 500/416 barrels for this trip? Thank you.

Good question. Originally, it looked likely that we would be hunting Buffalo in Muanza which is the same area we might encounter sable and other PG. The .375, regulated at 100 meters, gives me honest 200 meter reach if we ran into one of those other species while looking for a bull. The decision to go to the Delta was made after I had already worked rifle permits. The 500/416 would have been a great choice for the Delta. But no harm/ no foul - the .375 worked well also.

I believe a 375 is a cracker of a buffalo rifle but if the situation turns a bit sour open sights and as big a bullet as you have all ways play in your favour.
I am not taking anything from a 375 as it work just as well, but if you ar confident with a heavier calibier the bigger bullet will always pay dividends in the end.

Shot Shot

Exited all loaded going to shoot some practice this weekend life size target charging and departing animals..
A few beers and a braai (BBQ) after will go down well...Enjoy the weekend ..

Shot Shot

Hi everyone

talk about an eye opener, as you might have seen in the previous posts there was reference to my powder and amount.

My Lyman powder dispenser must have reacted to the coldest winter we have had (-9 degrees C)
So in the last two batches of loads my rifle had 2 hangfires and registered 1500fps on the cronie.

I stopped in my tracks pulled my rounds apart and pulled out the old faithful manual scale.
it threw only 72,1gr instead of 108gr.
mid way i decided to load a few other loads 110gr and 112gr.

To my suprise ( i have a new rest that handles for recoil) i shot the best group i have at 25m
with in an inch 5 rounds at 2050fps so i have since decided to test a few other to increase the speed a bit more and see what and where we end up.

just goes to show you always double check and you never know everything.

but i am happy to report i have never been more exited and ready to follow up.

Shot Shot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross