Binos 8X or 10X

Divernhunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
Hunted
USA, RSA
I am looking at the Zeiss Conquest HD binos in 8X42 or 10X42 and possibly the Cabelas (Meopta) Euro HD 10X42. A 3 are about the same price. The Zeiss say 90% light transmission and the Cabelas say 99.9% light transmission. I have owned cheaper binos in several different sizes but want a good pair. I have a small pair of Pentex 10X24 UFC III that I have had for many years and used some.
I cannot afford the Swarovski or Leica stuff.

My question is : For general big game hunting in the USA and PG hunting in South Africa(trip set for May 2013) which power would be most usefull. Most of my hunting her(USA) I have not used binos much partly due to conditions and not having a really good pair of Binos.

I have a pair of Swarovski 10x42s and they are great. I do alot of open county hunting in the mountains, which they were purchased for, and they work well for deer hunting too. The Zeiss binos should be similar in FOV and are excelent quality. Either the 8 or 10x will be fine and you will soon find your 10x24s in the garbage.

I think a good pair of binos are invaluable. One of my biggest pet peeves is sitting in a blind and some jack a$$ with no binos decides to get a better look through his rifle scope, I look back through mine to give him the hint that I dont like feeling like a target! Most guys get the hint real quick and drop their rifle and move on, hopefully they learn something but I doubt it.

either the 8x42 or 10x42 conquests will be good ,personally myself i use 8x42 because i find them sharper in low light at dawn or dusk , when i was was ordering mine the smithie said theres not much use having binos more powerfull than your scope for stailking which made great sense to me .if you want to glass longer distances then move in to hunt get yourself some 15x56 and a good tripod

Bought a pair of the new nikon monarch x in the 10.5X45. I have been so impressed by these binos. They are light enough to hold steady and in low light they are great, only thing I can fault is that they struggle abit when glassing into the sun (sunset/sunrise). price wise they are double the regular monarch, but you get what you pay for.

Bought a pair of the new nikon monarch x in the 10.5X45. I have been so impressed by these binos. They are light enough to hold steady and in low light they are great, only thing I can fault is that they struggle abit when glassing into the sun (sunset/sunrise). price wise they are double the regular monarch, but you get what you pay for.

I also bought a pair of the Nikon Monarch X 10.5 x 45. I also have Swarovski 7 x 50, Meopta 8 x 30 and others. I take the Nikons when I go hunting 99% of the time.

The best ones are the ones you will actually take along and go hunting with.
I finally discovered the chest harness and carry 10x50's. The harness also helps you hold them steady and they are ready to use.

I like 10x. (I want to see further/better than my rifle scope and that is the only reason.)

If you will not carry them, don't buy them.

Take any product you are considering into a dark/dimly lit room and see what your eyes can detect and determine light transmission for yourself.

(Cabela's miracle of Physics. You can pass electrons through an object and none will be absorbed.
They should get into building Semi conductors. Watch out Intel.)

Go with the Zeis Conquest HD 10x42

I have a pair of the older Zeiss Conquests in a 12X45. Great binocs. They are full size,but weigh a lot less than most binoc's in that size range. The new HD's should be even better. I have a pair of 8X30 Swarovski's and never use them, because of the area I'm in. First trip to Africa was Namibia and I took the Swaro's and wished I had the Zeiss. 2nd trip to Africa took the Zeiss and was glad I had them. My hunting buddy says that you can't shoot what you can't see. Get a good pair and they last for years. I'd go with the Zeiss's. I think you will love them. Bruce

The best ones are the ones you will actually take along and go hunting with.
I finally discovered the chest harness and carry 10x50's. The harness also helps you hold them steady and they are ready to use.

I like 10x. (I want to see further/better than my rifle scope and that is the only reason.)

If you will not carry them, don't buy them.

Take any product you are considering into a dark/dimly lit room and see what your eyes can detect and determine light transmission for yourself.

(Cabela's miracle of Physics. You can pass electrons through an object and none will be absorbed.
They should get into building Semi conductors. Watch out Intel.)

I very much agree with this.
Specially regarding the chest harness and Cabela's miracle.

I use a Zeiss Victory 7 x 42 myself. I am very happy with it and I want to kick myself for wasting money on cheaper half good binos before.

Because of the quality I can easily spot a ear, some antlers or other animal parts in the bush at distances I was not able to see any animals at all with half good 10x binos.

Try to save up some more money and buy a German made Zeiss Victory. You will be very happy you did.

Eight power are fine for most hunting, but many years ago I found I preferred the 10x for mountain hunting. Once I was use to them I never looked back. Having said that it really does depend on what and where you hunt, as well as if weight/bulk can be a factor. i would also recommend saving and going with the Zeiss Victory....... but that is just my opinion and others will disagree.

.... but that is just my opinion and others will disagree.

Skyline,

Just because you spend more time hunting and in the outdoors than most of us, have years of experience, and are a good guy why would we agree with you :shocked:

Good to see you posting again!!!!! Hope you had a good season.

99% of PH's use a 10 x 40 best quality'' they can afford ( or are graciously given) ! I had Swarovski's which grew legs and disappeared, now have Leupold Gold Ring HD units which are great! - but not as good!

In response to the power question, this morning my wife and I deer hunted together. I have 10 by 32 Leica Ultravids (not HDs) and my wife's binoculars are 8 by 30 SLC Swarovskis.

We each used and compared both binoculars this morning. The area we hunted is wide open marsh and we can see much further than we can shoot.

We both agreed the 10 powers were better suited for our hunting, not only at distance, but were better even less than 100 yards.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross