Big Bore Addiction Group

Sorry about the camera Matt....

Somebody will have a phone that can take video though, surely.... They can e-mail it to you, or post on youtube. Yes, I'm thinking selfishly, but we have to see this!

haha, it wont be my phone as its practically an antique. perhaps someone at the range can take the video.

-matt

Notice that I clearly stated, SOMEBODY will have a phone... I knew it wouldn't be you!!! LOL

Ah the nastalgia of a double rifle and a brick phone..........old school!haha

im great with guns, not so much with electronics. :E Pissed:

-matt

ok here are some pictures of the Saur conversion rifle. the camera that was used was cheap 10 years ago so the pictures aren't great.

-matt

Attachments

• DSCN0861_zpsjvn04yrh.jpg
    DSCN0861_zpsjvn04yrh.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN0865_zpsiafofdmu.jpg
    DSCN0865_zpsiafofdmu.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice Matt (y) Hope she shoots as good as she looks!

Looks like they did a great job on it. Love the look of the rib and that front sight.

I think you did very well picking that up!

Gents, I have an old double in .475 NE...wich is fine. A friend tries to sell me a Brno ZKK 602 in .458 win. that has been restocked and shoots well. I am thinking of buying it as a reserve/alternative rifle for elephant and buff with a low power scope (eyesight not getting better with age..).

But the .458 is no fun...and I want more power. What to do..?? I am thinking either .500 Jeffery or .505 Gibbs.. To do this on a shoestring budget (strictly a field gun...nothing fancy..) I am thinking a fat heavy barrel and a recoil reducer (lead plug..?) in the stock. I think the big .505 will fit better in this large action....but I velcome opinions..

You will drop from 5 in the box to 3 going from a 458 Lott to a 505 Gibbs. I have a CZ 550 in 505 Gibbs and love it... Pictures on here somewhere.

Interesting...is it easier to get the .505 to feed well in these rifles than the .458 Lott..?

What is the weight on your 550 ActionBob..?

Gents, I have an old double in .475 NE...wich is fine. A friend tries to sell me a Brno ZKK 602 in .458 win. that has been restocked and shoots well. I am thinking of buying it as a reserve/alternative rifle for elephant and buff with a low power scope (eyesight not getting better with age..).

But the .458 is no fun...and I want more power. What to do..?? I am thinking either .500 Jeffery or .505 Gibbs.. To do this on a shoestring budget (strictly a field gun...nothing fancy..) I am thinking a fat heavy barrel and a recoil reducer (lead plug..?) in the stock. I think the big .505 will fit better in this large action....but I welcome opinions

I would build your ideal gun from scratch. Why change a gun that is shooting well? If the gun wasn't shooting well, I'd say tear it apart and use the parts...but it's perfectly functional and good caliber too.

Some valid points there Enysse, I will certainly give this some thought before deciding.

The idea with a .505 is to make a stopping rifle primarily for elephant..

A .458 Lott conversion is also a (cheaper and simpler..) possibility..

But the .458 is no fun...and I want more power. What to do..?? I am thinking either .500 Jeffery or .505 Gibbs.. To do this on a shoestring budget (strictly a field gun...nothing fancy..) I am thinking a fat heavy barrel and a recoil reducer (lead plug..?) in the stock. I think the big .505 will fit better in this large action....but I velcome opinions..

define shoestring budget?

the issue with the 500 Jeffery and the 505 Gibbs is they often require a fair bit of skilled gunsmithing to get to feed properly. the best deal i can think of would be to find a used CZ 550 and have it worked on by AHR. this could yield a good service rifle for around $3000.

-matt

But wich round will be the best choice in a 602..... .500 Jeffery or .505 Gibbs..??

is it easier to get the .505 to feed well in these rifles than the .458 Lott..?
Haa, you are dreaming man!

The 505 Gibbs is a nightmare to get to feed out of a double stack mag... If your concerned about feeding issues you are heading down the wrong side of the road and driving right into oncoming traffic. LOL

Try searching 505 Gibbs on here a bit and read up, feel free to ask more questions but forget about nickel plated ammo for sure. You will need to remove metal to get the fat 505 Cartridges to sit under the feed lips without popping out. There is the contradiction of cutting away metal from a receiver you are loading with very powerful loads and pretty stout recoil.

Mine weighs 11.5 pounds with Trijicon 1-4 scope.

Oh well...I hear you...what about the .500 Jeffery then, feeding vise..?

I think Matt might have the stats but a 458 Lott should be a fine stopping rifle and may actually offer as good or better penetration than a 505 Gibbs or 500 Jeffery. I doubt the Jeffery feeds that much better but I don't have experience with that one.

If your on a budget, convert it to a Lott.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!