Big Bore Addiction Group

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
Hello, my name is Matt and I have a problem. It appears I have become addicted to large bore rifles. My addiction has soaked up large amounts of money and made the credit card company very happy.

Im pretty sure my addiction started when I bought my CZ 550 in 375 H&H, Beware of these rifles! They are gateway guns to a life of heavy recoil, empty wallets, and most importantly LOTS OF FUN!

here is a picture of the cartridges ive been playing with along with some more common cartridges for comparison.

left-right: 9mm Luger, 7.62x39, 375 H&H, 450/400 NE 3", 500/416 NE 3.25", and 505 Gibbs.

if you share my addiction, please state your name, how you started, and a picture.

-matt

Attachments

• bigbore_zps878c5dff.jpg
    bigbore_zps878c5dff.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 9,485
Hi, I started with a CZ 550 in 375 H&H then after joining too many forums decided the lack of recoil was disappointing, so I had it rebarrelled to 500 Jeffery lol. Then I decided to hunt brown bear in Alaska, and of course was told I shouldn't take my nice walnut/blued 500 Jeffery because it was too wet. So I bought a Rem XCR II in 375 H&H, had a Sako extractor, heavier firing pin installed (both to remedy issues with a brand new gun) and had it rechambered to 375 Weatherby while I was at it. I got a nice brown bear and then my youngest son claimed it. I bought my oldest a M70 Classic left hand in 416 Rem Mag because he had to have a big bore too. He and his brother got nice black bears with their big bores this August. So I thought I had bought all of my big bores until someone told me that big bores started at .600 and had to shoot a bullet of at least 900 grains with a minimum muzzle energy of 8000 ft/lbs. So now it seems is all I have is medium bores lol

Best Regards, Chuck

500 Jeffery with a 450 lb feral hog

Brown bear taken with the Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby

My oldest's 416 Rem (it's got a Leupold 1.5- 5x scope on it now)

Attachments

• P1010011.jpg
    P1010011.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 1,055
  • 500_Jeffrey_1.jpg
    500_Jeffrey_1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 863
  • P1010016.jpg
    P1010016.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 789
  • P1010076.jpg
    P1010076.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 751
  • P1000498.jpg
    P1000498.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 792
Stop it, stop it, stop it!!! I can't hear you.....la la la la.....I'm done at my .458B&M......la la la la la la!!!!!

Matt85 I could easily follow you into this addiction.

Hi my name is John and the largest calibre I currently own is .338 however about a year and a half ago I joined this forum called Africahunting.com so I could get help planning my first safari to the RSA. Long story short all the @$$holes on that site seem to think that centerfire cartridges begin at .375 calibre and their constant brainwashing is beginning to take hold. My gunsmith is now spec'ing out a .458 win mag for me. Please help.......is there any hope for me????

Hi my name is John and the largest calibre I currently own is .338 however about a year and a half ago I joined this forum called Africahunting.com so I could get help planning my first safari to the RSA. Long story short all the @$$holes on that site seem to think that centerfire cartridges begin at .375 calibre and their constant brainwashing is beginning to take hold. My gunsmith is now spec'ing out a .458 win mag for me. Please help.......is there any hope for me????

No, there isn't......the new rifle is just the start of a much bigger problem......sorry.

Colorado, you have a 500 Jeff so your putting out a .510" which makes the next logical step something that shoots a .550" or perhaps a .585".

Johnny7604, I'm afraid you have just begun. first its the 458 win, then you will realize the 458 Lott is a better cartridge. thankfully this is usually an easy/cheap fix by simply having your chamber bored deeper. what comes after the 458 Lott...

personally, my biggest challenge has been to resist the urge to sell or convert my smaller bore guns to larger bores. I must resist this urge as I need my small bore guns! :ROFLMAO:

-matt

Hi, my name is David. My first problem came with a pre-64 model 70 in 300 H&H. I thought I had it under control until I came upon a new Win model 70 in 375 H&H. My symptoms improved some after that. Then the remission was gone, and I found myself with a Heym double in 450/400. I received immediate care but it wasn't effective and I gave up, soon purchasing a Searcy double in 470 NE. Since then, my symptoms have vanished and I'm on the road to recovery....I think

I have sympathy with the problem. Mine also started at the .375, moved to a 458 and now the 500NE. Needless to say none replaced the other theyre just becoming more and more. Luckily I always have the excuse that I really need it for my job(this is what I tell the wife).

I have sympathy with the problem. Mine also started at the .375, moved to a 458 and now the 500NE. Needless to say none replaced the other theyre just becoming more and more. Luckily I always have the excuse that I really need it for my job(this is what I tell the wife).

Pieter,
A guy with your experience should know that ANY rifle is an "investment".........unlike a pair of shoes or handbag.

o_O so marius are you still breathing after making that statement, or just slightly damaged ????????? ;):ROFLMAO:

No one sits on my head.....that place is reserved for my wife.:D:D:D

Johnny 7604 you are in too deep. I'm afraid you will no longer be satisfied with the gateway guns. You MUST move on to more powerful things to satisfy your intense cravings. There is nothing for it........so you will have to cope.

Started at 14 years old (42yeas ago) shooting a family friends rolling block in 50/70. Now consider stuff under 40 cal boring (but useful).
So lets start with the little 40's and go up, 40/50 Straight Sharps, 40/65 win, 405WIN, 416 Express, 416 Rigby, 45/70, 45/90, 45/100, 450 Marlin,450NE,
458 WM, 458 Lott, 50/70, 50/90, 50 Alaskan, 500BPE, 500NE. 12 Bore muzzleloader and still building a 8 Bore muzzle loader. As you can see the addiction gets worse with age. Still on the list is a 404 Jeff, 577NE.
You are among friends:)

that's an impressive collection! I have always admired those sharps rifles but never got around to picking one up. having one in 50/90 would be loads of fun.

-matt

I live in Memphis where there are no Dugga Boys (my hunting fantasy) but your addiction has spread because I have moved from 300 Win to, very recently, 375 H&H and 375 Rem Ultra. The former was purchased to work up to shooting the latter which was a "bargain" from Cabella's Gun Library. The latter came with, seemingly, a splinter stock which I replaced with an HS Precision "wide body" with two mercury recoil reducers. I have still not worked myself up to loading ammunition for it in a somewhat reduced power mode. Call me a chicken s-t! My excuse of a hot humid Memphis Summer is starting fade and I am beginning to face my demons!

I haven't tried a 375 ulta mag but if its anything like a 378 Weatherby then its a true beast. the 378 Weatherby I shot belonged to another regular at my range and weighed in at around 11 pounds. his loads pushed a 300gr bullet at over 3000fps which even at that weight delivered a healthy dose of recoil.

-matt

I too am a member of the Big Bore Addiction Group (B-BAG for short, please don't confuse us with the other group with a similar name)! :eek:
My addiction started with a .416 Rem Mag in 2003 and my latest relapse was a Ruger RSM in .375 H&H that a drug dealer named Heym88 sold me :unsure:
So, I guess you could say I've almost got it back under control???
So good to know I'm not alone...

IdaRam the alone part is where and what to shoot with the big bores in the states. Elk, bear for sure but getting to them is fun. Going to Africa the big game is all over the place. Keep shooting the big stuff to make sausage meat out of the game.

That sounds like solid advice CAustin, I'll take it. Thanks!
I already feel my next relapse coming on and it's going to be a doosie! A Double in 450/400 may be my next drug of choice :eek: That one is going to take some saving or a lucky lotto ticket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smits

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg