Big 5 sightings?

wlambert

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Utah, Maine (USA); Limpopo, Eastern Cape (RSA)
I have booked a plains game hunt with Cruiser Safaris for May, 2015 - my first. I have found this site to be extremely valuable and I appreciate the effort of those who regularly post.

I was wondering what is the likelihood of seeing any or all of the Big 5 in the wild during my hunt? I realize I could visit Kruger but probably will not have the time to do that.

Many thanks!

I am sure that they have leopards, however seeing them will be difficult as best.

Looking at there web site, they do not list any of the Big 5. Not sure of your safari length so that you could add a game viewing drive. I am sure that they could arrange for you to do one.

http://www.cruisersafaris.com/wildlife_gallery.html

As you can see the big 5 pictures are from parks in the area.

Depends if the animals are on that property. If they are it's highly possible. Just don't expect to see a cheetah or leopard or lion. Rhino, elephants and Cape buffalo should be seen if they are there.

Lots of properties in RSA don't like to have Lions. The other game seems to take a kicking when they are around.
So try and get to a park of some sort. That does not guarantee a sighting though.

I have heard one, smelled one and been worried about seeing one while hunting.
I still have not seen a lion. (the only species I have not layer eyes on)
Been in Hluhluwe and the lions killed stuff every day and disappeared into the tall grass.
Never saw them once in three days.

Others have been lucky and seen them.

I thought for sure that I would never see a Leopard on my first trip.
Damned if I did not have more encounters with wild Leopard than anyone has a right to see. Bloody lucky.
Breeding pair and watched and entire hunt on a Bushbuck. It was awesome.

Good luck with your efforts to see the Big 5 on your trip.

Welcome to AH wlambert!

Welcome to AH wlambert! enjoy the hunt as stated I would recommend adding a day or to for a game drive even though they show all of the Big 5 in their wildlife gallery they are not necessarily all on their property.

Welcome to AH, wlambert !

Few properties in SA have the Big5, I did hunt in one, MKuze Falls PGR, where I saw not only the Big5, but also croc and hippo.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to the forums, Kruger is worth the extra time for a visit. but, there are also numerous other game parks around the country where you could take a day trip and visit, just a thought.

Welcome to the forums, Kruger is worth the extra time for a visit. but, there are also numerous other game parks around the country where you could take a day trip and visit, just a thought.

Welcome Wlambert,

You cannot go wrong with what HuntingAgent.com just posted here.
I always like to roll through The Kruger Park with my PH at the wheel, on Day One
It helps me to get over jet lag (Southern Africa is two days flying from my home) and time to jabber back and forth for full day before we get down to walking quietly and not talking.

Elephant numbers are up and so, you will likely see plenty of those at least, plus any other resident animal sighting is possible there because it is crawling with all sorts of wildlife.
As previously mentioned, the other parks general are as well.
Totally worth a day invested with your camera and your PH's excellent knowledge of the flora and fauna, not to mention the rich history of the area that he (or she) can tell you plenty about.

Regards,
Velo Dog.

Welcome!(y)
Welcome!(y)
Welcome!(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg