Big 5 Defensive Weapon for a Trails Guide

xanthus87

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for advice on weapons to use for defense as a walking safari (trails) guide in South Africa. The job will demand that I have a full pack and take clients on walks through dangerous game areas for distances of up to 20 km. Given the hiking oriented nature and the somewhat thicker bush found in many areas of the lowveld, carrying long, heavy, bolt actions doesn't seem like the best choice to me but it certainly seems to be the norm in the industry. That said has anyone had any experience mixing it up a little bit? The demands of trails guiding to seems to lend itself better to using something like a Marlin 1895 modified for .50 Alaskan rounds which would put it at about a .375 H&H in muzzle energy. I am attracted to the light weight, short barrel (no hanging up on bushes, etc.) of the Marlin mod. and the fact that they can hold 5+1 rounds which can be shot in rapid succession. Hmm, I guess I'm selling myself on the idea already. Does anyone know why I would not to carry such a gun for defense? Thanks for the help!

You might want to look at Ruger's compact "Guide Rifle" I believe you can get it in .375 or .416.

I assume you have checked and that you will be allowed to carry a weapon? In the parks I have visited (Namibia and SA) only government Parks and Wildlife officers were allowed to be armed and only when they had specific animal control or policing (anti-poacher) responsibilities.

.22 mag, that would be my maximum. Alcohol is great....beer is flowing good... and I'm just messing with you... Seriously though, .22 mag as a Maximum, anything more is just overkill..........................................

375 and up brother, whatever you can handle and shoot straight.

.22 mag, that would be my maximum. Alcohol is great....beer is flowing good... and I'm just messing with you... Seriously though, .22 mag as a Maximum, anything more is just overkill..........................................

375 and up brother, whatever you can handle and shoot straight.

I think Bart would agree, +1, :beer:

Thanks for input guys. I'll be working for a private reserve so the weapon will be allowed. I checked out the Ruger Guide Gun. It seems pretty nice and not too expensive either. One thing I also forgot to tell you guys is that I shoot left handed and so the only big bore LH bolt actions that I can find are the Ruger M77 African and the previously mentioned Guide Gun, only in .375. This was another reason for my interest in the .50 Alaskan lever. It's hard to choose. If only I was making the big bucks, then I could just get a custom lefty gun.

The Ruger Alaskan in 416 Ruger would be a pretty good way to go. I used one in Zim on a buff safari. Nice gun to carry as it is short and easy to move around in the thick stuff with.

I love my 50 Alaskan load it with Woodliegh bulletts, it is a hard hitter at short ranges. The only down side is cost and the time to have one built.

A LH bolt in 375 H&H would be my choice and some time to make sure it was absolutely reliable. There's a LH CZ in 375 H&H somewhere on Cabelas Gun Library for about $1500 says "like new" That would be a good start.

Don't overlook the Browning A-bolt. Just bought a new LH stainless 375 H&H for less than $1200 US and it's a full pound lighter than the CZ. Just a thought.

Your first choice is interesting .. :thumb: stopping power not so bad at a very short range.
Another possibility :
CZ-USA -> CZ 550 Carbine - Kevlar
Cal : 9.3x62 Mauser , short barrel 20" , 4 rds ; 7lbs, iron sights .. is it so important to have a left hand ...?

Sauer 202 9.3x62 Mauser left hand but .... $$$$$$ :bonk:

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for advice on weapons to use for defense as a walking safari (trails) guide in South Africa. The job will demand that I have a full pack and take clients on walks through dangerous game areas for distances of up to 20 km. Given the hiking oriented nature and the somewhat thicker bush found in many areas of the lowveld, carrying long, heavy, bolt actions doesn't seem like the best choice to me but it certainly seems to be the norm in the industry. That said has anyone had any experience mixing it up a little bit? The demands of trails guiding to seems to lend itself better to using something like a Marlin 1895 modified for .50 Alaskan rounds which would put it at about a .375 H&H in muzzle energy. I am attracted to the light weight, short barrel (no hanging up on bushes, etc.)of the Marlin mod. and the fact that they can hold 5+1 rounds which can be shot in rapid succession. Hmm, I guess I'm selling myself on the idea already. Does anyone know why I would not to carry such a gun for defense? Thanks for the help!

Marlin produces what I believe they call a scout guns must be honest though having been trail guide and going through the old TG 18 (advanced large calibre handling) i am not to sure if i would like it that much. But let's give with the handling nod.....

Ammo and especially projectiles and quality projectiles for such calibre are extremely hard to come by........ and while velocities on paper looks good i am just not sure if i was confronted by an ele and backed up by Nikon that i would feel comfortable with it.

Call me old fashioned but i would opt for a relatively in expensive 458 lott shorten the barrel to around 21" fit it with a quality recoil pad and have peace of mind. :)
You should have no issue finding an lh CZ they are working guns and can be beaten the p.....ssou off :)
Have a good one and stay save

My best always

"weapons to use for defense" what do you mean by "use for defense " ?
Stop a buff, kill eleph, scare lions ?
Else ?
Stop and/or kill need .470NE /.500NE or .458 Lott,WM, .416 (rig, rm, rug) ...mini .375H&H
Scare ... hurt (?) if needed 9.3x62 Mauser, .338WM ...
At what do you think ?

Ammo and especially projectiles and quality projectiles for such calibre are extremely hard to come by........ and while velocities on paper looks good i am just not sure if i was confronted by an ele and backed up by Nikon that i would feel comfortable with it.

Call me old fashioned but i would opt for a relatively in expensive 458 lott shorten the barrel to around 21" fit it with a quality recoil pad and have peace of mind. :)
You should have no issue finding an lh CZ they are working guns and can be beaten the p.....ssou off :)
Have a good one and stay save

My best always

i agree with you jaco with the cz and having it chopped. i also had a .375 ruger redone to .458lott , with the barrel chopped to 21 inches and a peep sight fitted. plenty of metal in those older ruger barrels!! IMG00624-20130804-2003.jpgIMG00626-20130804-2004.jpg

and Doc you are so very generous to want to lend your pea shooter :p

I bought my oldest left handed son a Winchester M70 LH 416 Rem Classic in stainless/synthetic when he got out of the Rangers. It wasn't cheap, $1500, but had hardly been used at all. At his request we had the barrel shortened to 22", a mercury recoil reducer put in to help with the balance (it was still very muzzle heavy) and all the metal Cerakoted. I think he wants to go get a big brown bear ... :) It's a nice rifle, but all in all I like my CZ better.

LH M70 416 Rem

My CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery

Attachments

• 500_Jeffrey_1.jpg
    500_Jeffrey_1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 175
" Winchester M70 LH 416 Rem Classic in stainless/synthetic a mercury recoil reducer "
Hello, would you tel me the trade mark of this synthetic stock please ? id for the mercury recoil reducer ...
I own a Winch M70 Safari Express .416RM and I'm interested by a synthetic stock.
My CZ 550 9.3x62 is mounted with a synthetic stock ... not so bad ...
Thanks a lot.
(sorry for my english but I'm french ..) :biggrin2:

Hi, the synthetic stock is the original that came from Winchester. I hear the MacMillans are real nice though. Our gunsmith put a C&H 12 oz mercury recoil reducer in. Don't worry, I'm sure your English is much better than my French (which is non existent).

:)

Best Regards,

Chuck

If your job is to protect your clients then I would go with what the professional hunters use because that is exactly what they are suppose to do. You will find that the minimum caliber used by the PHs is the .375 H&H. Since your job is protection and not hunting I would go with a .416 for better stopping power up close. You won't need anything for long shots because that's not protecting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg