Bevy of CZ Beauties!

I never liked CZ triggers much but these new ones are better than the previous version in my opinion. Less clunky and more adjustable. Mine has a nice pull, not the cleanest pull but nice and soft. Some people like more firm pull I don't mind softer. Better than the factory Remington triggers I have and better than Ruger triggers I had. The nicest factory triggers I have seen so far were Sako, Tikka and Browning.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. It definitely needs to shoot straight all the times so I'll check it out on the range when I get it :). Still waiting for the license approval so it's still at the gun shop. I first got interested in a 7x64 when I had a client from Australia who shot very well with one. It's ballistically very similar to a .270 Win but with a heavier bullet.

7x64 is the ballistic twin to the .280 , both are great calibers and extremely versatile for either close range bush hunting with a heavier bullet or longer distance with a lighter bullet at higher velocity.

I fell in love with the 7x64 a few years ago. I was always a 7mm fan and for years carried a custom .280 Remington on a Ruger 77 action. I have gone thru a few 7x64's now as well but this one is the best shooter of the lot. Also been a big fan of the 7x57 and have this one and a Ruger No. 1 Light Sporter. In the case of these rifles, its a lot about the rifles themselves, just liking them, but they have to be in calibers I like. And I like all 3 of these very much. Not sure logic has much to do with it.:eek::rolleyes::D
My "logic" statement based on what my wife said to me (and yes I know it happens out there so don't give me the rolly eyes, tsk tsk look). I have several 7x57's because emotion says it's a great calibre. Logic says you can only shoot one at a time and it will do the same job. My wife saw one come in the door the other day and asked what it was...I said a rifle...she said what type?...I said Winchester Featherweight.....she said I didn't ask you what brand I asked what type?......uhmm a Ruger M77.....she said that's not what you just said...you said a Win Featherweight...yeah that's what I meant (the hole I'm in cannot be gotten out of at this point because they haven't invented a ladder that comes from hell...yet). I said a 7x57.....she said you have 3 7x57's!!!!...yeah but I don't have this one...how do I explain the other one that is coming next week???? So the question is where is the logic?...there isn't any because I wanted one, and another and another!

8x68.....you are in so much trouble:E Nail Biter::E Shocked::A Banana::A Bonk:

One day when I have time I will start my own thread like this , also showing some of my IMHO magnificent CZ's

I have the following CZ 550's that have all been extensively customized to my requirements :
  1. 404 Jeffery
  2. 416 Rigby
  3. 458 Lott - synthetic stock
  4. 375 H&H
  5. 6.5 X 55 - synthetic stock , this little rifle truly amazes me each time I shoot her .

My "logic" statement based on what my wife said to me (and yes I know it happens out there so don't give me the rolly eyes, tsk tsk look). I have several 7x57's because emotion says it's a great calibre. Logic says you can only shoot one at a time and it will do the same job. My wife saw one come in the door the other day and asked what it was...I said a rifle...she said what type?...I said Winchester Featherweight.....she said I didn't ask you what brand I asked what type?......uhmm a Ruger M77.....she said that's not what you just said...you said a Win Featherweight...yeah that's what I meant (the hole I'm in cannot be gotten out of at this point because they haven't invented a ladder that comes from hell...yet). I said a 7x57.....she said you have 3 7x57's!!!!...yeah but I don't have this one...how do I explain the other one that is coming next week???? So the question is where is the logic?...there isn't any because I wanted one, and another and another!
Did you buy the Ruger #1 with the beautiful wood on gunbroker last Night? Wanted that one for myself but just bought my first 7x57 Less than a year ago (CZ 550) and didn't want to pay where the bid was heading......but kicking myself this morning.

Unfortunately no. I don't live in the US (used to for several years) so that tends to be a bit difficult. I can do it because I'm good :sneaky: but not this time. To be quite honest never have been a fan of the Ruger #1's. They can be quite pretty as you saw but not my thing. I have a Win Featherweight circa early 80's, a Ruger M77 late 70's, CZ 550 FS, and an Interarms Mark X late 70's all in 7x57. I was after a BRNO 600 in 7x57 but the guy wants too much.

My 404Jeff re-barrel finally got here, I took it to the range for a test drive, I have it dialed in a 100yds but need to need to tighten up the group. I also have a hump back Mannlicher in 308 that I used in Africa a few years ago
IMG_0693.jpg

That's nice! If you haven't yet, try the Barnes 400gr Triple Shock. It shoots lights out in my custom Ruger No. 1 with 4064 and 4320. That bullet also shot well in my CZ.

One day when I have time I will start my own thread like this , also showing some of my IMHO magnificent CZ's

I have the following CZ 550's that have all been extensively customized to my requirements :
  1. 404 Jeffery
  2. 416 Rigby
  3. 458 Lott - synthetic stock
  4. 375 H&H
  5. 6.5 X 55 - synthetic stock , this little rifle truly amazes me each time I shoot her .

Larry sure would like to see your pictures!

Since this is a born again thread I may as well update about the sight hood. The joke is on me!:eek: I didn't like the small hood on the 7x64 and ordered one of the big slotted buggers. Only problem is the rifle has a different sight base than the other two, so this hood wont fit! :mad: So I have an extra "monsta" hood for the next CZ rifle.:D

That's nice! If you haven't yet, try the Barnes 400gr Triple Shock. It shoots lights out in my custom Ruger No. 1 with 4064 and 4320. That bullet also shot well in my CZ.
I have some 400gr Woodleigh's Iv'e been using I'd be interested in any load data you want to share

I didn't shoot any Woodys in my guns, shooting mostly factory or Triple Shocks and some old RWS bullets I found on line. By far the best shooting in the CZ or this Ruger Custom No. 1 has been with the Barnes and IMR 4064 and 4320. This is only limited testing but showing well in two very different guns I think it will bear out. In the Ruger/Krieger barrel, 72-74 grs by half grs increments produced 4 shot groups from one half inch to just under an inch at 100 yds. Best shooting in the CZ was with 4064, using 72grs for a chronographed 2200fps - 4300 ft/lbs. of ME. I did not yet chrono the 4320 loads but there is scant difference between these two powders, the 4320 being just a tad slower on the chart, but they are very similar in performance. I cant speak of your gun, but in almost every instance that I have tried Triple Shocks, they shot at least as good or better than any other bullet. I have also used them as "last resort" bullets, in that if a gun wont shoot Triple Shocks, it goes down the road. I don't get too exited about how far off the lands they seat per the instructions either, I seat to the cannelure and shoot them into itty bitty groups. I was about to give up on my dads old .284 Win, but when I tried the Barnes, it just came back to life and we took it to RSA and my boy used it well even on wildebeest.

I just have the one CZ in 500 Jeffery :( Wayne at AHR installed his single stage match trigger and Model 70 type 3 pos safety, otherwise it's pretty stock. My favorite rifle.

Attachments

• 500_Jeffrey_1.jpg
    500_Jeffrey_1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 159
Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't shoot any Woodys in my guns, shooting mostly factory or Triple Shocks and some old RWS bullets I found on line. By far the best shooting in the CZ or this Ruger Custom No. 1 has been with the Barnes and IMR 4064 and 4320. This is only limited testing but showing well in two very different guns I think it will bear out. In the Ruger/Krieger barrel, 72-74 grs by half grs increments produced 4 shot groups from one half inch to just under an inch at 100 yds. Best shooting in the CZ was with 4064, using 72grs for a chronographed 2200fps - 4300 ft/lbs. of ME. I did not yet chrono the 4320 loads but there is scant difference between these two powders, the 4320 being just a tad slower on the chart, but they are very similar in performance. I cant speak of your gun, but in almost every instance that I have tried Triple Shocks, they shot at least as good or better than any other bullet. I have also used them as "last resort" bullets, in that if a gun wont shoot Triple Shocks, it goes down the road. I don't get too exited about how far off the lands they seat per the instructions either, I seat to the cannelure and shoot them into itty bitty groups. I was about to give up on my dads old .284 Win, but when I tried the Barnes, it just came back to life and we took it to RSA and my boy used it well even on wildebeest.
I read somewhere that big bore like to be set 50 thousandths off the lands but there is not any where near that amount in my McCowen barreled 404, it seems that seating just at the cannelure on my Woodleighs seems to do the trick,, We have to remember that these horses aren't exactly match grade, an inch at 100yds will work just fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you