Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, Namibia, RSA
Just checking if anyone has a recommendation for a good hunting round for a .50 caliber? I am using a Hornady 350 grain, and I like it - the results are good. But wondering if maybe something smaller (fewer grains) would work.

Just thinking out loud. Would love some feedback.

Thanks

Attachments

• Gemsbuck.jpg
    Gemsbuck.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 354
Ethan, Depends on what you would be hunting, I hunted an Elle cow last year with a 500 S&W and it performed like a charm, frontal brain shot dropped in its tracks and just did a follow up in the chest at around 11 paces. Was sceptic about it for a start but it poved itself, it is an awesome weapon!!!!

Lighter Why, what was your line of thought? what were you planing on hunting, or do you just want to try something different.

kwalata 05 111.jpg

My best always

Just trying to mix it up. My longest shot with the 500 was a 75 yard shot on a Gemsbuck. I am looking at maybe taking some smaller plains game and don't need the weight.

Ethan, Depends on what you would be hunting, I hunted an Elle cow last year with a 500 S&W and it performed like a charm, frontal brain shot dropped in its tracks and just did a follow up in the chest at around 11 paces. Was sceptic about it for a start but it poved itself, it is an awesome weapon!!!!

Lighter Why, what was your line of thought? what were you planing on hunting, or do you just want to try something different.

View attachment 10058

My best always
What bullet did you use and what did it weigh?

I believe it was a 350gr BarnesBarnes

Just checking if anyone has a recommendation for a good hunting round for a .50 caliber? I am using a Hornady 350 grain, and I like it - the results are good. But wondering if maybe something smaller (fewer grains) would work.

Just thinking out loud. Would love some feedback.

Thanks

Ethan, go with a 440-grain hard cast, LFN or WFN profile (depending upon the application...LFN for elephant, WFN for buffalo...default to LFN for everything, if you cannot find a WFN bullet). Buffalo Bore, Cor-Bon, etc. load this to 1,650 fps in the 500 S&W (8-3/8" barrel). I believe Cor-Bon also loads a 500-grain bullet (same profile, hard cast) to a little less velocity (maybe 1,500 fps).

Another ultimate option is a Belt Mountain Punch Bullet. These are brass/lead solids (brass alloy jacket, super heavy/thick, with a lead core, same LFN profile). Grizzly Ammunition used to load these in various calibers, including the 500 S&W. They likely still do, but I am not 100% certain.

Being 50 caliber, you don't need expansion. Go for penetration. If you reload, stick with the same bullets (load to save cost). If you cast your own (and even if you buy cast bullets), test them for the appropriate hardness. This is easy to do...all you need is a hammer and an appropriately un-yielding surface (an anvil would be ideal). It should take some force to deform the bullet and, most important, the bullet must NOT crack or shatter!!!

That't it...good luck!

This is the punch bullet (these are 400-grain for a 45-70...further, those I have loaded (475 Linebaugh for my Freedom Arms revolver) have looked a little bit different, in order to comply with federal regulations for bullets in a handgun).

MVC-001F.jpg
MVC-012F.jpg

the 400 ceb solid is imho the best for the 500 smith. very solid, great meplat. this bullet has accounted for the #1 handgunned cape buff as of sci show in January with the 400 grain bullet out of the 500 smith.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross