Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA CSSA
Hunted
Canada, RSA
Hey all,

I would like to ask your opinion of where the best baboon hunting is to be found. Preferably a place where they are closer than 500 yds

Thanks

lcq,
You are welcome to drop me an email. We will be able to help you with a baboon for sure. Should you like to get some info on best time of the year, etc., I would be happy to discuss a battle plan.:LOL:

Take Care,
Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris

Somewhere where they are not persecuted a lot. In the Caprivi, where they are rarely shot, they were extremely bold - as in fifty meter bared fangs bold. On the other hand, on the typical cattle ranch, you are lucky to get a non-fleeing target at half a mile. Suspect one of the outfitters here knows of a potential area.

Somewhere where they are not persecuted a lot. In the Caprivi, where they are rarely shot, they were extremely bold - as in fifty meter bared fangs bold. On the other hand, on the typical cattle ranch, you are lucky to get a non-fleeing target at half a mile. Suspect one of the outfitters here knows of a potential area.

DG Baboon hunt! Im in!!! LOL

They have always befuddled me. Not next time! I will be bringing my 7.82 Warbird which launches 210 grain Berger VLD's at 3250. I have verified this to 1100 yards. They can bark at me all they want at 700 yards away. Next time they will not be laughing at me!

As far as you question. It seems that I have see baboons all over the place. Tarbe just whacked two from his recent hunt with Tootabi Hunting Safaris. He included the baboons in his hunt report.

11289868_10154375554318521_959739112_n.jpg

The Eastern Cape Mountain areas are good for them,especially around the irrigation fields. Hunted with a client that came every year just to hunt babboons,if I remember right his record was 21 in 7 days. For totals the EC is very good.For size the Baviaans towards Jeffreysbay and Plettenbergbay have monsters.
P1050218.JPG
JOHAN FARM PHOTOS 011.jpg

@hunthardsafaris, a Sako TRG with a Nightforce is an excellent option for some long range baboons! A baboon only hunt could be fun and I think the local ranchers would appreciate it.

Reactions: lcq
TRG worked pretty well,but switched to a Tikka TAC last year,unbelievable accuracy for the money. Shot the groups today with the new NORMA TipSrike ammo @ 100 meters 5 shots.
IMG_1015A.jpg
IMAG0506_1.jpg
IMAG0504_1.jpg

We always say you don't pay for the babboons you shoot,you pay for the ones you leave alive :D:D:D
Below is a Plett baboon,real brute.

We saw a lot at pieters and loodts but were always hunting other stuff. I think it is like any other animal really. if you want one and hunt for them you can get one just cant pass when you get the chance because you don't want to scare away the other game. I know some guys bait them in and you can get them that way to. Next trip I am hunting them one day for sure or just may not pass on them when the chance is there to take one no matter what.

3150 is nothing to be ashamed of. That is still a ton of horsepower!

For sure, that Warbird is a tank!!! Nice gun, I have considered a Lazeroni myself on more than one occasion. (y)

So far I´ve had no luck on baboons, but my hunting partner and his daughter shot three while hunting warthogs in a blind. They are often targets of opportunity.

This year I want to go back to a farm where I saw a huge troop of baboons in 2013, and the leader was very big.

So far I´ve had no luck on baboons, but my hunting partner and his daughter shot three while hunting warthogs in a blind. They are often targets of opportunity.

This year I want to go back to a farm where I saw a huge troop of baboons in 2013, and the leader was very big.

Mr clumsy knocked over a water bottle when trying to get into position to cap one, the rest is history.

That outlines the situation very well. I hunted a ranch where they grew corn. The rancher had a couple of employees who just walked the roads to scare off the baboons. Needless to say the only shot was over 700M at two in a tree.

The Eastern Cape Mountain areas are good for them,especially around the irrigation fields. Hunted with a client that came every year just to hunt babboons,if I remember right his record was 21 in 7 days. For totals the EC is very good.For size the Baviaans towards Jeffreysbay and Plettenbergbay have monsters.View attachment 42739View attachment 42740

Three a day is very good given how skittish they can be.

They have always befuddled me. Not next time! I will be bringing my 7.82 Warbird which launches 210 grain Berger VLD's at 3250. I have verified this to 1100 yards. They can bark at me all they want at 700 yards away. Next time they will not be laughing at me!

As far as you question. It seems that I have see baboons all over the place. Tarbe just whacked two from his recent hunt with Tootabi Hunting Safaris. He included the baboons in his hunt report.

View attachment 42738

View attachment 42738

Gorgeous rifle and looks like a real tack driver, make that pin driver. In my humble opinion it isn't too terribly hard to hit targets at 900M like we do at our range. I will qualify that statement providing you have an extremely stable rest (bipod front, bagged rear) and "no wind". Field positions rarely afford a very stable rest and I am routinely spanked by the wind.

my $0.02

I harvested(blasted) an old granpaw off a fence post at 200..Beautiful sight watching him descend to earth...The rest ran like butter on a hot pancake...

Some good advice on here already. It takes the right property and right opportunity to get a nice old baboon. They are not stupid.

Mostly your mountainous areas will be better suited to your needs.

These include the Waterberg in Limpopo, the eastern Cape and multiple other ranges.

I have found that one sees allot more as the season progresses as they tend to move out of the deep valleys to forage more.... June onward...

My best

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcdowall

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!