Best Place for Archery in South Africa

archer36

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have been to SA for a rifle hunt and was very happy. Did not see anyone hunting with archery gear. It looks like they don't really cater to this type of hunting. Any Safari outfits specializing in archery hunts?

There are plenty of outfitters who have permanent blinds, otherwise known there as "hides" they put over water holes just for the purpose of serving bowhunters.

Reactions: BWH
dries visser safaris , in Limpopo ,cater for bow hunter only on their property , citadel .
hunted there in 2010 , blinds are their choice, but we stalked every day , blinds around lunch time , stalked in the afternoons , and then blinds in the last of day .
we walk and stalked , tree stands , pit blinds, elevated platforms, and spot and stalked.
dries jr, runs a fantastic outfit
there lots of bow / riffle properties .
and if look around theres a few bow only , places as well .........

You will find more then you think really just does not get talked about enough. Paw print is starting to grow in the bow area. We have one ranch bow only and a few others with very limited rifle hunting on them. Then some ranches with mostly rifle hunts done there.

Just built a few new blinds on the bow only ranch and have blinds on some others. We also use pop up blinds and do spot and stalk. My group last year took zebra,oryx,impala,blue wildebeest,duiker,steenbuck,warthog,nyala and red hardebeest all with bow. Could have taken some others also but the were not on the guys list at the time.

Myself and son will be doing a bunch of bow hunting in 2016 with Pieter. Pieter also got hooked bow hunting and took it up as a way of hunting for himself now when he gets a chance. Good luck searching and let me know if I can help with anything.

I've hunted with Dare To Bowhunt in KZ and Bushmen Safaris in Limpopo and they are both bow only outfits, and good ones. There doesn't seem to be as many bow outfits in the EC.

There are some Outfits that set aside properties (or large portions of a property) for Bow hunting and know their stuff.
Start asking questions. They are out there. You have already gotten some suggestions to start researching.

good luck.

@archer36 we have number of concessions that are bowhunting only.

Why limit yourself to South Africa instead of Africa ...... Namibia had some wonderful opportunities .
Glen

African arrow safaris (Harry Nel) bow hunting only and walks away with the PHASA awards every year.
IMHO your best bet

African Arrow Safaris is truly top notch, their animals are always on the top end of trophy quality. They are expensive but trophy quality is over the top!

Hi Archer 36,

We can offer you excellent bowhunting on huge bowhunting only concessions for over 40 species including plainsgame and dangerous game. Hannes, myself, and most of our PHs are avid bowhunters......I can guarantee you one of the most challenging and rewarding bowhunting experiences available in Africa. ...Please check out our website and send me a PM or an email if you would like more detailed information.

African arrow safaris (Harry Nel) bow hunting only and walks away with the PHASA awards every year.
IMHO your best bet

I have to punt Shannon and Bushman safaris as well they are also a bow hunting only operation... And Shannon is an incredibly awesome person...
As a heads up bow hunting set ups can be highly artificial and animals almost domesticated in certain cases this is a hit and miss in many cases and one only realizes on location what the situation might be.
I suggest talking at length to potential outfitters and informing them exactly as to what your expectations are so that there is no confusion at a later stage or during your safari.

As a final I'll punt myself a bit we have various high stands and pit blinds as well as tree stands in draws and well used trails on more than 60 000 acres it is a serious challenge and not a high volume hunt. :) ;)

Shit I couldn't resist!

My best always

Last edited:
I had hunt 3 places for archery only hunts in SA and all of them are Top Notch
1.- Hannes in Limcroma it is a great place
2.- Stweart in Melorani first class
3.- Cobus in Thesepe oustanding place as well.

You can´t go wrong with any of these 3.
Also had heard great things about Dries Visser and African Arrow Safaris, but haven´t hunt with them personally.

Good luck in your resarch

I've only made 3 trips, but by far the best was with Limcroma. The only thing wrong with that trip was that I was only there for 15 days.

If I wasn't so old I'd try to get Hannes to adopt me.

Good numbers of species as well as good numbers of individuals. Everything from lodge life, meals, blinds, staff, etc. was just what I was looking for.

Don't see how you could go wrong with Limcroma.

Best of luck to you.

Leo & bbj,

Thank you both for the kind words..... As you already know, Hannes and the entire Limcroma Family will always make every attempt to exceed your expectations at every opportunity. We look forward to having that privilege with many AH.com members in the future.

I have to punt Shannon and Bushman safaris as well they are also a bow hunting only operation... And Shannon is an incredibly awesome person...
As a heads up bow hunting set ups can be highly artificial and animals almost domesticated in certain cases this is a hit and miss in many cases and one only realizes on location what the situation might be.
I suggest talking at length to potential outfitters and informing them exactly as to what your expectations are so that there is no confusion at a later stage or during your safari.

As a final I'll punt myself a bit we have various high stands and pit blinds as well as tree stands in draws and well used trails on more than 60 000 acres it is a serious challenge and not a high volume hunt. :) ;)

Shit I couldn't resist!

My best always
I had a great hunt with Shannon at Bushman Safaris,their main concession is 22,000 acres that is only hunted in the dark of the moon for about 10 days a month. They have 17 permanent bow blinds, a really top notch outfit.

I have been to SA for a rifle hunt and was very happy. Did not see anyone hunting with archery gear. It looks like they don't really cater to this type of hunting. Any Safari outfits specializing in archery hunts?
Hey archer36! Couldn't agree more about the great bow hunting lodges mentioned in this thread, but I would also attest to Linksfontein in the Northern Cape, a bow hunting only area (part of Wintershoek safaris). I've been there, you won't be disappointed...

Harry Nel at African Arrows is a first class outfit. There are lots of others, but my advice it to book with an outfitter that has "Bow Hunt only" areas. You will notice real fast if there has been gun hunting in the area. The animals are spring-loaded! Even when you are driving around in the truck, the animals act different.

Another recommendation for Limcroma Safaris. Great accommodations and amazing hunting opportunities whether you prefer hides or spot and stalk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg