husb0023

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA (WI,MS,LA,CO) CANADA (MB)
I am one of those people that has no interest in reloading my own shells.
It is not that I have a surplus of money, it is just that my time is too limited to spend it reloading.

What is your recommendation for the best box of ammo to run through my 7mm rem mag?

I have been using Winchester Supremes with mixed results. Any thoughts?

Federal Fusion - 150gr for deer and hogs, 175 gr for black bear, elk and moose. It uses a bonded bullet and is the most accurate factory load in my Rem 700 7mm rem mag. That's what works for me ....

You will probably get a lot of opinions on this one. I used the Winchester Supreme Ballistic tips for years on deer inSouth Texas and never had a single deer do more than take a step, but the deer are pretty small in size. My son uses the Remington Accutip in both 270 and 243 with great success. I reload just for fun more than anything and they are as accurate as anything I have reloaded for him. You can cover three shots with a half dollar easy and neither one of us are expert shots by any means. I shoot a Browning 300WSM and aside from Barnes reloads have had alot of success with the Federal Premium Triple Shock X-Bullets 165 and 180 grain. I am leaving for RSA in 31 days and will be using them.

I like the Remington Accutip in 150 gr., the 154 Hornady Interbond or SST, and the 160 Nosler Accubond. I would also have no problem with the Supreme Ballistic Tip. The Accutips I used on my caribou trip destroyed their lungs...they weren't going anywhere. I would expect the same results in Africa.

Are you looking for deer round, bear round, or Africa round? And what brand of rifle you shooting?

I have a Model 70 pushfeed 7mm Mag. It LOVES Winchester grey box 150 and 175gr Power Points. For $25/box, IMHO you can't beat them.

If you want to step up into the premium line of bullets you might look at the Federal 175gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw if deep penetration is your intent. My rifle does pretty good with these also.

I'm by no means a great shooter but just yesterday I pulled a 1" 3-shot group at 100yds with the 175gr Power Points.

I shoot the Winchester 150gr Power Point in my 7mm REM MAG too. It was the third round I tested in the rifle and it holds a very tight group, sub MOA in my Browning A Bolt. I don't know about you but I can't reload a round as consistent and accurate as I can buy.

Winchester Supreme Elite

I dont know if this is the same Winchester Supreme you are talking about but the last client used Winchester Supreme Elite you can have a look at the bullets following the link.

Winchester Supreme Elite

The bullets worked great and I was impressed by them pass trough on an eland bull 30-06 180gr trough both shoulders. Only recovered 2 bullets trough the hunt and the expanding bullets looks like the bullet on the webpage expect for one petal breaking off on the one bullet.

I use the 100 grain power points in my 243 Win for deer hunt in Wisconsin. So the power points in 7mm would be pretty good too. I have also used the 150 gr. Core Lokts. One day I was shooting at a target...held with 2 metal fence posts. I pulled the shot and blew the fence post in two. I must admit I was pretty impressed!

What do you need it for? But if you are only interested in off the shelf ammo, shoot a bunch of different ammo and choose the one that has the best accuracy in your rifle and has the bullet/velocity combo that suits your hunting area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.