Best Leopard destinations?

fairgame

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
What with Zambia recently lifting the cat ban this destination must rank along side the best of Zimbabwe and a couple of areas in Mozambique as one of the better bets for Leopard? The Luangwa system has always been known for it staggering concentration of these animals and the Kafue is renowned for its cagey but oversized beasts. Pictured here is the Zambia record taken by PH Richard Bell Cross in the Kafue. Some of the previous operators could boast 100% success.

Doodan%20Leopard_zpshkvsjqmp.jpg

The quotas are very conservative and these cats have not been hunted for a few years.

It remains to be seen if our prices are competitive to that of other prime areas.

Any other quality areas out there one could recommend?

I m booked in Namibia for this September. I really don't know how they stack up in size compared to the other countries you mentioned.

I m booked in Namibia for this September. I really don't know how they stack up in size compared to the other countries you mentioned.

I have seen some big leopard come out of this country and the trick is to carefully chose your outfitter and PH. Good luck by the way.

I believe I have chosen the right outfit, judging by references and there web page. I ve received current trail cam pictures over the past 2 weeks and have posted them here.. thank you.

It will certainly be interesting to see what comes out of Zambia. If the cats have taken a beating from poachers or have been left alone.
Here's hoping to see some monster cats like the picture you posted Andrew.

What with Zambia recently lifting the cat ban this destination must rank along side the best of Zimbabwe and a couple of areas in Mozambique as one of the better bets for Leopard? The Luangwa system has always been known for it staggering concentration of these animals and the Kafue is renowned for its cagey but oversized beasts. Pictured here is the Zambia record taken by PH Richard Bell Cross in the Kafue. Some of the previous operators could boast 100% success.

Doodan%20Leopard_zpshkvsjqmp.jpg

The quotas are very conservative and these cats have not been hunted for a few years.

It remains to be seen if our prices are competitive to that of other prime areas.

Any other quality areas out there one could recommend?

It will certainly be interesting to see what comes out of Zambia. If the cats have taken a beating from poachers or have been left alone.
Here's hoping to see some monster cats like the picture you posted Andrew.

Holy smokes that's a big leopard @fairgame! I think a lion would think twice about tangling with him.

Had a conversation yesterday with a gent regarding Zambian leopard. He said Johnny Du Plooy has been doing a good job with anti-poaching during the last couple years during the hunting ban. So I'd expect the cats to be thick there. I'm sure you know Johnny but I'm not so sure how close he is to your operation.

All depends, to me if you can take a leopard without the aid of a spotlight, that adds a lot to the hunt....no matter how big the leopard is when it hits the ground.

Probably some big cats ready for the pickin since the ban was lifted.

Exciting picture. Hope Johnny gets on like that in Nambia!

All depends, to me if you can take a leopard without the aid of a spotlight, that adds a lot to the hunt....no matter how big the leopard is when it hits the ground.

Use of electronic equipment is illegal in Zambia nor do you need it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 11.46.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 11.46.26 AM.png
    739.1 KB · Views: 250
Holy smokes that's a big leopard @fairgame! I think a lion would think twice about tangling with him.

Had a conversation yesterday with a gent regarding Zambian leopard. He said Johnny Du Plooy has been doing a good job with anti-poaching during the last couple years during the hunting ban. So I'd expect the cats to be thick there. I'm sure you know Johnny but I'm not so sure how close he is to your operation.

@PHOENIX PHIL depends where johnny was doing the antipoaching as he has a different area in the luangwa under these allocations , and it was a very good area and hopefully still is..............where andrew is on the kafue is a bit aways from the luangwa. but if any of you out there want stunning countryside/bush and wild hunting look here for a reminder http://www.africahunting.com/threads/zambia-gems.21956/ .........ok so what are you waiting for???? ;):D

C
@PHOENIX PHIL depends where johnny was doing the antipoaching as he has a different area in the luangwa under these allocations , and it was a very good area and hopefully still is..............where andrew is on the kafue is a bit aways from the luangwa. but if any of you out there want stunning countryside/bush and wild hunting look here for a reminder http://www.africahunting.com/threads/zambia-gems.21956/ .........ok so what are you waiting for???? ;):D

Chaps the Luangwa has always had a huge concentration of Leopard and the prime valley areas are well protected by both the Government and private sector. Besides a majority of poaching is for meat or Ivory.

If you are interested in Leopard I would be looking at some late season bargains as the operators are going to find it tough to sell their quotas. I predict most Leopards will sold next year with Lion.

Frostbit, the picture above, makes the hunt 10X more exciting to me! I guess I never had a opportunity to hunt one yet, so it's still on the list .

Frostbit, the picture above, makes the hunt 10X more exciting to me! I guess I never had a opportunity to hunt one yet, so it's still on the list .

That was actually the day before Joyce killed it. We couldn't confirm sex at that angle and he fed that way for 25 minutes or so before jumping off the branch. Didn't matter, the next morning he waited for the light to come up before climbing back into the tree.

I think of all the African game success on Leopard is strongly linked to LOCATION, PH, and time of year. In that order.

We were successful on two daylight Leopards in what would have been a 14 day hunt by the essentially taking the first on day five after baits went up and on day ten.

Cheers
Jim

That was actually the day before Joyce killed it. We couldn't confirm sex at that angle and he fed that way for 25 minutes or so before jumping off the branch. Didn't matter, the next morning he waited for the light to come up before climbing back into the tree.

I think of all the African game success on Leopard is strongly linked to LOCATION, PH, and time of year. In that order.

We were successful on two daylight Leopards in what would have been a 14 day hunt by the essentially taking the first on day five after baits went up and on day ten.

Cheers
Jim
Wonderful story and great photo's. I will be in Namibia in September near Otavi, I can only hope for half the success you had.;)

Let us know how it goes Johnny. Its hard to beat the leopard prices in Namibia.

Let us know how it goes Johnny. Its hard to beat the leopard prices in Namibia.
Will do. And honestly part of the reason I booked there. But I'm sure my chances there are about the same as anywhere in Africa.

Will do. And honestly part of the reason I booked there. But I'm sure my chances there are about the same as anywhere in Africa.

I can't agree. When it comes to hunting Leopard, location is everything. Chances are not "the same as anywhere in Africa". That said, good luck and enjoy every minute of your hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross