AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Alaska,lower 48
Well I have wanted a 404 for a few years. I thought about selling my Ruger RSM 375 and buying a CZ 550 but my Ruger has such a nice Circassian stock. Since there are two 375's in the safe. I am going to re-barrel the ruger. For those that have a 404 what would you recommend for barrel length?

I think 24 inch is a nice compromise, no more than 26.

Depends on ones preference. An inch or two either way wont affect velocity enough to matter. Some say shorter barrels being stiffer shoot better, possible. I like 24 but I wouldn't pass on one that was 23, maybe even 22. What I don't like is a long forearm and a short barrel. Just doesn't look right.

I have a .404, and while I didn't try a bunch of barrels before I had it made, 24 looked right, felt right, and shoots great.

I guess I'm the oddball here mine is 25 inches. Saw that length mentioned in an article as the common length in the originals.

23" is the new standard for a .404 Jeff "carbine."

photo.JPG

:LOL:

25,6",.... all the power and pleasant to shot.

HWL

Of the 404s that I've had a chance to hold, a total of three; A Churchill Mauser had , I think, a 25"; a PO Ackley M 70 24" and a Tipton Burns M 70 23". All three seemed very well balanced so I suspect it's a matter of where the weight is placed and how it balances.

I asked Reto to barrel my .404 with a 23" PacNor barrel. I don't like excessively long barrels on most rifles, though my Ruger No. 1 (.25-'06) has a 25" barrel.

The .404 is a close range firearm, shorter barrels to not create any ballistic handicap at close range.

Using a Powley Computer (slide rule), with case capacity of 102 gr water, 88 gr powder the expansion ratios run from 9.4 with 20" barrel to 11.6 with a 25" barrel. the velocity change for the 5 inches of barrel is 80 fps for a 400 gr bullet and 65 fps for a 450 grain bullet. With muzzle velocities 2250 to 2450 the change due to these barrel lengths in this cartridge are quite negligible.

Owning four .404Js. in barrels lengths 22" to 26", including one original I would go with 24" although I would feel just as comfortable with a 22" barrel.

No matter what, I believe you will love the caliber. I love seeing BIG holes in the kill zone!

Well I have wanted a 404 for a few years. I thought about selling my Ruger RSM 375 and buying a CZ 550 but my Ruger has such a nice Circassian stock. Since there are two 375's in the safe. I am going to re-barrel the ruger. For those that have a 404 what would you recommend for barrel length?

Just a thought. Most of the Ruger 77 Safari Rifles I have seen seemed a little heavy barreled for caliber. Would it be wise to keep the same barrel length and contour, but in a .404J bore which would make it just slightly lighter. Since the dimensions of the .375 H&H is a bit longer I guess it would not be possible or practical to rebore. I'm sure you are aware this conversion will require action/bolt/magazine mods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg