Best animals to hunt on first Safari

Muskox man

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I am traveling to Namibia in June 2016 with my wife and son. I am looking to harvest a Blue Wildebeest and my son would like a Giraffe. We would like to hunt several more species but want to focus on the first two mentioned. Is this a good way to approach this or do you just wing it and take targets of opportunity?

Always good to have a target species you are after,but don't let a good opportunity on a very good trophy animal slip away because of it. Always be flexible and if your PH points to animal and starts shaking like a puppy on its first hunt,you better pull the trigger:D
Best of luck with your planning and you have some time so if I may I would suggest looking at as many photos as possible to get a idea of what a good trophy looks like for the species you may encounter in the area.

Kudu and Gemsbok would be on my list!

Its always good to start with your wish list and move from there.

However, in Namibia Kudu and Gemsbok would be a must...

work out a couple of favoured animals each then enjoy the hunt and take targets of opportunity.
once you have all the boxes ticked , it becomes more relaxed , and all the rest will just fall into a yes or no decision .

Abolute number one has to be a dik dik!!! And I agree you must take a Gemsbok! And probably springbuck...

Always great to go after what is endemic in an area. Get the list of what they have then close in on the ones that your PH says they regularly get top specimens of, and that fit your budget.... Speaking of which... A great animal to take in Namibia (the right part) is an elephant! Another would be leopard!

................Always be flexible and if your PH points to animal and starts shaking like a puppy on its first hunt,you better pull the trigger:D
This is always a truly good method of trophy judging.
The PH has to be jabbering and shaking though.
If you hesitate and they start to grab for your gun to take it themselves is another strong indicator.

Bushbuck would be on my list.

I would agree with Kudu and gembok for Namibia, but also look at Eland. I am making my first trip there in September but for me if I get the time and opportunity to hunt plains game it's Kudu, Eland, hartabeest and Hartsman zebra and springbuck

Impala......."classic" African antelope, and not too expensive.

I am traveling to Namibia in June 2016 with my wife and son. I am looking to harvest a Blue Wildebeest and my son would like a Giraffe. We would like to hunt several more species but want to focus on the first two mentioned. Is this a good way to approach this or do you just wing it and take targets of opportunity?

It appears that you have your trip booked and that is a good start.

Now look at their web site and see what they have to offer in trophy selection.
1. You and your son need to look at what they have available and put together a list of 3 to 5 animals, provide you have the monetary funds available

The big part is to look at your pocket book and see what you plan to spend on your safari.
Like:
1. Airfare
2. motels and meals
3. PH daily fees and observer fees
4. Trophy Fees
a. have a priority list for each person
b. Place a estimated cost for each person
5. Tips
6. Dip & Pack
7. Taxidermy

Everyone on AH has a list of trophy that they think are the way to go, only you and your son can determine what you really want.

For my next safari i plan to put Eland & Gemsbok at the top of my list and maybe sable and springbok (?) something i have not had the opportunity to take so far.

For me it is make a list of animals I would like to take if given the chance. For Namibia I think there is some animals that give you the best bang for your dollar compared to hunting south Africa. These would be Oryx,kudu,eland,giraffe,red hardebeest,mtn zebra,springbuck,warthog. Those animals Namibia has trophy size and good numbers of animals at great prices. Myself I have not seen as many impala and blue wildebeest that make me want to hunt them there and the prices are more there. I would not pass on one if I liked it but not the place I would look for one unless it is only my only trip I was ever doing to Africa.

As for if the ph thinks it is so big you must take it. Great if you have unlimited funds but not a must do to me. It may not even be an animal you like or want. With saying that animals you may not think you want can change your mind when seeing them in the wild. So don't be unwilling to look but don't get pressured into taking something you don't want. I did not pass on what I thought was anything big as far as a red hardebeest but had no desire to hunt one till seeing one in the bush. Can say the same thing about duiker and steenbuck and now look for them each trip.

Giving your ph some idea of your wish list will help him pick the best area. That is why I think having a list is a good idea and for sure for your first trip. I would say more then likely with your two main animals being wildebeest and giraffe you will have them both within 3 days and could only take one for both really. Plenty of them around and not as hard to hunt as say a kudu or eland.

Figure your budget and animals and have fun. Good luck

Thank you to everyone who responded. Your tips and opinions are most appreciated.

I would take a damara dik-dik if he showed himself.

We are planning to hunt around 4-5 animals each. We only have a 5 day hunt booked so I'm not sure if I'm being to optimistic.

pick 2 big animals and 2 small animals each, as a starting point.
Don't be too quick to pass up something exceptional.
most people that pass one up, go home saying "I wish I had shot that animal"
almost no one goes home saying "I wish I had not shot that animal".

If my wife and I get to go again, I will look to get the animals I (we) haven't harvested yet that are still on our list.
But, I will also add almost every low dollar animal also... impala, duiker, especially bushbuck, warthog, etc.

Muskox, 4-5 days can clock you up some serious $$$$ be prepared.

Definitely follow Hunthardsafari´s advice .

I've been saving my pennies. As long as I can keep the entire trip in the 20k-25k range I'll be happy.

You should be fine with that budget but a 5 day hunt will not give you time to be to picky on trophy size. It comes down to if you think you will go back or not. With only 5 days and two people hunting I would not be passing on a 52" kudu hoping for a 55". Who are you hunting with and what area?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross