Best Airline flying from the U.S. to South Africa

What is the story about British Airways? If we travel through Raleigh Durham NC to JNB through Heathrow the tickets are approx $900 USD next March. The operator of the flights from RDU to LHR is American although the tickets are through BA. There is nothing on the AA or the British Airways that says they won't transport the rifles. What gives and has anyone done this route with rifles?

Also, what is the approximate time to make it through customs at JFK with a rifle on the return trip? Is Dulles a better option?

One of these trips I'm going to take Emirates. People say they are great. It will have to be when I retire though as it adds an extra day to travel with the layover in the Middle East. Delta has done well by me on three previous trips and I'm booked with them again this July.

Reactions: lcq
Double & triple check..... AA will not carry firearms for another carrier. If it was BA craft start to finish.... But AA, then BA.... No Bueno. I've tried.... AA is king in DFW, got a million miles, just can't use for Africa if I want to take a gun. Call AA and get their version. It is actually on the website embedded in some fine print somewhere.

Here is an interesting thing: while hunters are on the whole vigilant about obeying hunting laws and ethics, not so much regarding gun laws.

Example: people keep asking about flying out of JFK with guns. If you ask 10 people if it's legal, you'll get 11 answers. Actually, if you have to overnight in NYC in order to get out of JFK, you've run amok of gun laws. No trickier place in the world to comply with the law. I called the top two travel agents we all use on this site and questioned their proposal to use JFK and was told "they USUALLY don't enforce it at the airport".

If you want to jeopardize your hunt, your permits, your freedom and your occupation, fly out of JFK with guns. All it takes is a delayed flight and you're a felon hoping that day they don't "decide to enforce their laws".

What is the story about British Airways? If we travel through Raleigh Durham NC to JNB through Heathrow the tickets are approx $900 USD next March. The operator of the flights from RDU to LHR is American although the tickets are through BA. There is nothing on the AA or the British Airways that says they won't transport the rifles. What gives and has anyone done this route with rifles?

I have not done the AA/BA trip. But AA at Heathrow is in T3 and BA is in T5. That might be part of the problem why AA/BA gun transfer does not work, as BA contracts out the gun transfer at Heathrow for a 100 pound fee.

I pick BA to RSA this summer to collect the miles, but that Emirates flight in business was very tempting.

A couple of interesting laws to keep in mind about JFK although in NO WAY complete or comprehensive:

"The SAFE Act also includes provisions allowing law enforcement to pre-emptively seize a person's firearms without a warrant or court order if they have probable cause that the person in question may be mentally unstable or intends to use the weapons to commit a crime"

So say that NY State or NY City makes hunting of dangerous game illegal and you're waiting to connect via JFK with a double rifle. You are about to commit a crime in the minds of NYC or NY State that may be perfectly legal in Africa and in your home state. You wore a NRA cap or some such nonsense in the airport so the cops decide to make sure to usurp your rights, etc. etc.

Less far fetched? How about this one.

"New York State is of particular concern to interstate motorists who travel with firearms, because New York separates all of New England from the bulk of the United States. This means that under the Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA), all people traveling through New York City and New York state with firearms are protected by federal law, however they must have their firearms unloaded and locked in a hard case where they are not readily accessible (e.g. in the trunk of a vehicle).[34]" The "Safe Passage Provision says: "One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another cannot be incarcerated for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas), provided that the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container.[11]"

Sounds good what's listed above, right? Except that if you overnight in NYC (or the burbs) due to a next-day flight or your flight is delayed and it results in more than 24 hours you're no longer in "safe passage" rules land. Or how about when you've had it waiting for your flight and you leave the sterile secure area of the airport because you want food or lodging? Yes, you've run afoul of the protections of "Safe Passage".

But it gets worse, as has been covered in the NRA's "America's first freedom" although I can't cite which one at present. The "Safe Passage" provision is a affirmative defense during prosecution, not a protection against search, seizure or incarceration. So just because you have an "out clause" doesn't mean you don't get harassed and your rifles seized, it only means you have something pretty solid to tell the NYC judge when you get to chat with him days later. Your hunt has been ruined.

"But they USUALLY don't give you a hard time at JFK airport"

Subject to an entirely different set of problems could be stated about flying through London (or flying on British Airways) or flying Lufthansa (or through Germany) these days. Several experts in travel that advertise on this site have told me as much and that they are in constant contact with officials so they can continue to resolve client problems with these airlines and locations. Good luck if you didn't book with them OR if they get a new official at the airline or airport just before you leave for your hunt!

In conclusion: Fly out of Atlanta and avoid all this nonsense. Or fly Emirates out of Chicago from A-Z and avoid all these problems.

Sorry if I sound so negative or pessimistic but you cannot be too vigilant on traveling to your hunts.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of interesting laws to keep in mind about JFK although in NO WAY complete or comprehensive:

"The SAFE Act also includes provisions allowing law enforcement to pre-emptively seize a person's firearms without a warrant or court order if they have probable cause that the person in question may be mentally unstable or intends to use the weapons to commit a crime"

So say that NY State or NY City makes hunting of dangerous game illegal and you're waiting to connect via JFK with a double rifle. You are about to commit a crime in the minds of NYC or NY State that may be perfectly legal in Africa and in your home state. You wore a NRA cap or some such nonsense in the airport so the cops decide to make sure to usurp your rights, etc. etc.

Less far fetched? How about this one.

"New York State is of particular concern to interstate motorists who travel with firearms, because New York separates all of New England from the bulk of the United States. This means that under the Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA), all people traveling through New York City and New York state with firearms are protected by federal law, however they must have their firearms unloaded and locked in a hard case where they are not readily accessible (e.g. in the trunk of a vehicle).[34]" The "Safe Passage Provision says: "One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another cannot be incarcerated for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas), provided that the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container.[11]"

Sounds good what's listed above, right? Except that if you overnight in NYC (or the burbs) due to a next-day flight or your flight is delayed and it results in more than 24 hours you're no longer in "safe passage" rules land. Or how about when you've had it waiting for your flight and you leave the sterile secure area of the airport because you want food or lodging? Yes, you've run afoul of the protections of "Safe Passage".

But it gets worse, as has been covered in the NRA's "America's first freedom" although I can't cite which one at present. The "Safe Passage" provision is a affirmative defense during prosecution, not a protection against search, seizure or incarceration. So just because you have an "out clause" doesn't mean you don't get harassed and your rifles seized, it only means you have something pretty solid to tell the NYC judge when you get to chat with him days later. Your hunt has been ruined.

"But they USUALLY don't give you a hard time at JFK airport"

Subject to an entirely different set of problems could be stated about flying through London (or flying on British Airways) or flying Lufthansa (or through Germany) these days. Several experts in travel that advertise on this site have told me as much and that they are in constant contact with officials so they can continue to resolve client problems with these airlines and locations. Good luck if you didn't book with them OR if they get a new official at the airline or airport just before you leave for your hunt!

In conclusion: Fly out of Atlanta and avoid all this nonsense. Or fly Emirates out of Chicago from A-Z and avoid all these problems.

Sorry if I sound so negative or pessimistic but you cannot be too vigilant on traveling to your hunts.
Agree with Rookhawk completely. Unless you are renting your guns from your outfitter, avoid JFK completely. The most minor problem can end up cancelling your hunt and confiscating your guns. The state and the city in recent years have done everything they can to make a hunter's travel through JFK a mission from hell! In my view Atlanta is #1, Dulles #2 and Dallas or Houston are tied for number 3, depending on the airline, for the best cities to depart for Africa with guns.

The best advice is to avoid NYC at all cost. If you happen to live there, I am so sorry!

Thanks--no I don't nor plan on living in NY...

I live in NY, about an hour and a half from JFK actually.....

I fly out of there both international and domestic and have done so for quite a few trips now. (13....14 times maybe? something like that)

Never have had even close to an issue.

Anyone needs advice on the matter can PM me if they want info from someone who has actual experience.

if in Australia , Qantas is definitely not the best choice , you will hunt in whatever you buy at Johannesburg, and have to borrow a bow

That's funny (and sad)!! Pack light!!!

I live in NY, about an hour and a half from JFK actually.....

I fly out of there both international and domestic and have done so for quite a few trips now. (13....14 times maybe? something like that)

@Dinsdale has a huge advantage over a NYC visitor...residency. If he violated Safe Passage rules he has the capability of owning a NYS or NYC gun permit, something a non-resident will not possess.

Just as a note
Airzimbabwe. :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::eek::eek:

LOL....that was damn funny.

Just as a note; residency has no bearing on my information. The five Burroughs of NYC have their own specific set of firearms laws that apply just to that area.

Apply to me just like if I was from Utah or Alaska.....same deal, no special privileges.

just came home from rsa used delta from Atlanta and had no problems with them at all. nice direct flight to jnb and back with no fuel stop like SAA.
on a diff note customs in Atl kinda not nice took us all to room checked guns and forms which was expected but then they put us in another line xrayed all our stuff and pulled out hunting boots and shoes used for hunting and sprayed them with god only knows what put in plastic bag and gave them back, then a cleared card onto the exit. then to tsa to get the regular tsa fun had our back packs hand searched again as customs did the same. all of this took about 1 hr 45 min and we smiled and bent over. so plan on plenty of time in atl if you have to connect to another flight. also highly recommend one of the gun permit services in jnb made life easy and I gave some kinda saps guy $10 when he was checking my gun on the way home and all very good he make sure my gun get on plane!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross