Belated Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions & Greets' started by timbear, Jun 29, 2011.

1. timbear

timbear AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    SSAA, NZDA
    Hunted:
    Germany, NZ, Australia
    I sort of drifted into the website, but I think it is time to just say hello. I have not hunted Africa yet, but it is definitely very high on my list of things to do, getting more so with every article I read. I have hunted in Germany (where I was born), New Zealand (where I lived for 6 1/2 years) and Australia (where I live now). Africa, though, is THE dream. As we are owner-building a house this year, I doubt that I will be able to do anything about it before 2012, which seems far too long. I read Ardent's article about his first hunt in Zimbabwe with great pleasure, thinking that that is the way I want to experience my first hunt in Africa. A buffalo hunt - wow!
    Having said that, I have a CZ 550 in .375 H&H mag, but am wondering about a plains game rifle. Okay, the .375 will literally take anything, sure, but if I wanted to bring a second caliber? My preferred deer rifle is the 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser, flat trajectory, hard-hitting, accurate, and nice recoil. Would that be up to African game?
    Anyway, I'm glad I'm here, so much to find out before the big trip.
  2. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Timbear Welcome.
    Get that house built and go have some fun.
    After all the reading on the issue and all the PH's opinions the bigger deal for your 6.5x55 will be the bullet you choose. High end bullets that hold together well.
    If you take both, the 375 and the 6.5x55 along you will be covered. On the day your PH will let you know which rifle to grab out of the rack when you leave the truck or camp.
    Good luck.
  3. fhm3006

fhm3006 AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Namibia / South-Africa
    better late than never...:wink2:

Welcome to AH timbear, looking forward to your participation on the forum.

All the best with that house...i start mine in 2012 - too many hunts booked here in Namibia for this year....way too many !:wink:
  4. James.Grage

James.Grage GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa
    Timbear

Welcome to a great African Hunting Forum you will be able to share your stories and learn from some of the master on this forum....
  5. Nyati

Nyati AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
    Welcome to the forum, Timbear !
  6. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Hi timbear, I think the 6.5x55 is fine for the smaller antelope of Africa. But I would get a 300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag. Oryx, wildebeest, kudu, waterbuck, eland, zebra are tough. And depending on the distances: a long distance, heavy bullet is sometime better...than a lighter, small diameter bullet.

Welcome to AH!
  7. timbear

timbear AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    SSAA, NZDA
    Hunted:
    Germany, NZ, Australia
    Okay, maybe I should rephrase that question: is it really necessary to have another rifle besides the .375 H&H?
  8. Hank2211

Hank2211 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Cameroon, Argentina
    Knowing I might get pilloried for this, the answer to your question is an unquivocal no.

I say that because you asked "is it really necessary". And since you can shoot any of the Big 5 and all of the small game (where a .375 is actually better than a smaller, faster caliber), and everything inbetween, with a .375, that's the right answer.

If you'd asked "is it more fun" to have another rifle, then I'd have said yes, it's really necessary to have another rifle.
  9. Mark H. Young

Mark H. Young AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Zambia, RSA, Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique, Cameroon and Tanzania
    timbear,

No! Two rifle are not necessary. The 375 is perfect for a one rifle safari for buff/PG safari. I'd bring a second sighted in scope and be very happy. A few solids for the really small guys and a couple boxes of premium expanding bullets for everything else and you'll be set.

On my last personal safari I took buffalo, eland, red and Lichenstein's hartebeest, nyala, waterbuck and red duiker all with the same 375 Wby, The solid worked perfectly on the red duiker and the TSX's on the rest.

Contact me anytime if you'd like some info on buff/PG hunts.

Mark
  10. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada

Welcome to AH Timbear!

If all you are going to have in your pockets are solids then I agree with Mark but if not then I would carry a smaller rifle I would hate to think that your about to take possibly the next world record Caracal or Steenbok and all you have to shoot it with is a 375 hell let the trackers carry the smaller one for you their working to get a good tip out of you.
  11. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Welcome to AH Timbear!
  12. fhm3006

fhm3006 AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Namibia / South-Africa
  13. timbear

timbear AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    SSAA, NZDA
    Hunted:
    Germany, NZ, Australia

I fully agree. It is just all the hassle of getting firearms from one country to another that makes me consider a one rifle trip. Australia is particularly strict. A friend of mine was shooting in a pistol match overseas, and took a holiday afterwards. Coming home, she had to re-import and "acquire" her pistol because she had been out of the country too long. When we moved to Australia, we had to get "permit to acquire" for every one of our 10 firearms, de facto acquiring weapons we already possessed. At $30.- a pop it was a bit of a nuisance.
  14. ndbwhnter

ndbwhnter AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa
    Welcome to the forum timbear.

I agree with several of the comments above, that it's probably not necessary to bring more than the .375, but it sure would be more fun to have a .30 cal for all of the other stuff.

nd