Bedding

grumpy

Reaction score
Member of
Blesbok club
I have a 30-06 full glass bedded. I would like to do this over and have a free floating barrel. If it is not too difficult I would like to do this myself. If it is too difficult and complicated I will have to have it done.
Any advice if it is a good choice and if I can do it myself?

I live in Gauteng, SA

If your planning to reutilize the glass bedded stock then this may be "too much trouble". Bedding the action of a rifle into a new or different stock is a snap compared to the pain of whittling out a bunch of resue ina stock channel.

grumpy

I have free-floated barrels on several rifles over the years and prefer it to glass bedding. I have free-floated one barrel that was previously glass bedded and may be able to supply some advice. Can you post pictures of the barrel channel and action inletting of the stock with the barrel / action removed?

- browningbbr

Hello
You can do whats called a skim coat glassbed job and also free float the barrel at the same time. Its a simple process but does your rife shoot well with a free floated barrel some dont! A way to see if your rifle shoots well with a free floated barrel is as follows. 1 remove barreled action from stock place match book shims under the action(it dont take much). reinstall barreled action in stock(dont over tighten screws 60 inlbs at most). Now check that the barrel is free floated,if its not more shims are needed. Once you have your barrel free floated shoot some ammo that you know is accurate in your rifle then you will know if your rifle likes to be free floated or needs a bit of barrel pressure. Hunting wieght rifles with slim barrels do need a pressure point more often than not.
Bart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.