Barrel Life Of A 375 H&H

Aussie375

Reaction score
I am just wondering for all you guys with a lot of 375 experience what you could expect the barrel life to be in regards
to the round count . I have a RSM H&H which shoots clover leafs with a handloaded 300GRN Hornady bullet and i cant
seem to put the thing down.

Nothing to really scientifically support this but it would seem that a relatively slow moving round with a low chamber
pressure would be pretty easy on the lands and grooves.

I mean a .220 Swift it ain't

If you are really pouring it down range all I would watch for is barrel heating

But then again...I could also be wrong

I cant give you a number but it will be thousands with proper care. As second wind stated barrel heating is enemy #1. Any more than a couple shots is hard on the barrel. The hotter it gets the worse it gets, if you want to shoot a box or more at the range without long periods of cooling you will shorten the barrel life.

A good tip for cooling a barrel more efficiently is to lean the gun barrel up and leave your bolt open. The heat in the barrel will cause a chimney effect and draw cool air up from the bottom.

If you really want to cool that barrel down fast

just keep a bucket of soapy water around and run a swag through it after each round

No wait....that was for my 12 pounder

never mind

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MariWalsta

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross