Barrel Life Of A 375 H&H

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Aussie375, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Aussie375

Aussie375 New Member

I am just wondering for all you guys with a lot of 375 experience what you could expect the barrel life to be in regards
    to the round count . I have a RSM H&H which shoots clover leafs with a handloaded 300GRN Hornady bullet and i cant
    seem to put the thing down.

2. Second Wind

Second Wind AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    by this point, just select 3 - 7 letters, put them together in any given order and I am probably a lifetime member
    Hunted:
    US, Canada, Mexico
    Nothing to really scientifically support this but it would seem that a relatively slow moving round with a low chamber
    pressure would be pretty easy on the lands and grooves.

I mean a .220 Swift it ain't

If you are really pouring it down range all I would watch for is barrel heating

But then again...I could also be wrong

3. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
    I cant give you a number but it will be thousands with proper care. As second wind stated barrel heating is enemy #1. Any more than a couple shots is hard on the barrel. The hotter it gets the worse it gets, if you want to shoot a box or more at the range without long periods of cooling you will shorten the barrel life.

A good tip for cooling a barrel more efficiently is to lean the gun barrel up and leave your bolt open. The heat in the barrel will cause a chimney effect and draw cool air up from the bottom.

4. Second Wind

Second Wind AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    by this point, just select 3 - 7 letters, put them together in any given order and I am probably a lifetime member
    Hunted:
    US, Canada, Mexico
    If you really want to cool that barrel down fast

just keep a bucket of soapy water around and run a swag through it after each round

No wait....that was for my 12 pounder

never mind