Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DCS, PHASA, SA Hunters, Xtreem Archery, Rowland Ward, WRSA
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe
Not the biggest baobab but its amazing to think they are thousands of years old...

IMG_0717.jpg

Sleeps 10.
DSC00669.JPG

As an old Forestry guy, I really missed not getting to experience one of these "guys" on my first safari. They are as iconic as any of the animals. Hopefully, I can remedy that in the future!

Here's the biggest one that we came upon.
HPIM0363.JPG

This one won't last long with the elephants chewing on it the way they have. I had never realized that they were as pulpy as they are, had always assumed that it was a hardwood. Located in the Okavanga on an island close to Eagle Island Lodge.

image.jpg

I love those trees. Can't wait to see one!

Limpopo RSA

Imagen%20229_zpsvtmvyxok.jpg

Attachments

• Imagen 229_zpsvtmvyxok.jpg
    Imagen 229_zpsvtmvyxok.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 174
Amazing trees they are....just imagine that some of them where here when they built the pyramides..

Wow these photos are incredible amazing how each person perceives them as old giants.
Post some more photos they are really great to see....

Shot Shot

Have not seen one but hope to. I have seen the giant redwood trees on the US Pacific coast and like these they are big around but also tall......some over 250 feet

The redwoods must be insane i have only seen them on TV have you got an pics to reference size?
The Boababs are know as the upside down tree because the branches look like roots.
really amazing ..... I have had the opportunity of bow hunting from one it was really amazing to do we shot a great Gemsbuck bull (40")

Shot Shot

Because of their location the Giant Sequoia tree can be 2700 years old 102 feet around and 274 feet tall but not look it because the giant cedars around them are big also. The tree below is know as the General Sherman with the above stated measurements. The fur and cedar trees you see in the background are 200 foot tall trees and are so big around that only one log can be put on a truck when they are cut down!

image.jpg

The General Grant is the second largest at 268 feet tall but it 107 feet around! It is a Sequoia tree which even I confuse as a Redwood but they are distinctly different species . The Redwoods are almost as big but not quite! This tree is thought to have 46,000 cubic feet in it while the General Sherman is 52,000 cubic feet! In other words you could build 20 three bedroom houses In the US from one of these! That's frame, walls interior and exterior, floors and roof.

image.jpg

Here is a picture of the General Grant taken in 1936 with a lot of people standing at its base. This will give you some reference as to its relative girth. I count 16 people standing side by side across the base of this giant! Not as big around as a Baobab but still really big.
image.jpg

Gee whizz ..... no words they are massive ..
You could never build a blind in the tops of these you wouldn't see the deck.
Wow those stats are incredible almost 100m tall
that is crazy imagine the roots that have to hold them into the ground.

Shot Shot

This one is called the Giant Grizzly. Might nail a blind to that first limb about 90 feet off the ground and do some of that long distance shooting out to say 1000 yards! You could sure see everything real well even giraffe wouldn't know you were up there!
image.jpg

The youngest Baobab tree I found.
IMG_2494.JPG

The youngest Baobab tree I found.
[A

That looks familiar. Did you try to eat any of It? They have a very tart lemon flavor. This tree it at the Botswana road side rest area on the way to Kanana.
image.jpg

That looks familiar. Did you try to eat any of It? They have a very tart lemon flavor. This tree it at the Botswana road side rest area on the way to Kanana.

Mine was a little more dried out than yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross