35bore

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
Hunted
USA, South Africa, France
After about a year and a half of debating (with myself) I decided to dump the compound and go back to a longbow. In all actuality I traded the compound for a longbow and am buying a recurve. Plan is to see which one I shoot better with, then get rid of the other. The longbow is a Bear Montana 50#, the recurve is a PSE Coyote 55#.

Quick question, I have not shot traditional bows in some time now, I have some aluminum arrows set up now for the compound, should I make the investment into carbon arrows? Secondly, the longbow is secondhand and gent had some kind of fixed 3 blade broadheads, I always shot the one piece double blade, did something change or were you always able to shoot 3 or 4 blade broadheads form a traditional bow? Goes against everything I was taught by my old mentor.

Personally, I would sell the aluminum arrows and get some carbon. You will be amazed how much faster and more accurate the bow will shoot. As to broadheads, I'm a big proponent of a 2 blade head like you said. Depending on your arrow length and weight, I would consider a heavier head to get more "front of center" as well. Something in the 150-200 grain territory. Welcome back to traditional archery!

I would say you should aim for around 12 grains per pound of draw weight with a good bit being up front. Use a 100gr brass insert and a 125 - 200gr broadhead depending on the arrow you selected. Most definitely stick with a 2 blade cut on contact broadhead.

After about a year and a half of debating (with myself) I decided to dump the compound and go back to a longbow. In all actuality I traded the compound for a longbow and am buying a recurve. Plan is to see which one I shoot better with, then get rid of the other. The longbow is a Bear Montana 50#, the recurve is a PSE Coyote 55#.

Quick question, I have not shot traditional bows in some time now, I have some aluminum arrows set up now for the compound, should I make the investment into carbon arrows? Secondly, the longbow is secondhand and gent had some kind of fixed 3 blade broadheads, I always shot the one piece double blade, did something change or were you always able to shoot 3 or 4 blade broadheads form a traditional bow? Goes against everything I was taught by my old mentor.

Good for you buddy! I have some friend that switched and they love it. Some shoot aluminum, some shoot carbon. Carbon are a good choice because they don't bend. Aluminum has the advantage of being less expensive and you can get them with a wood-grain finish so they at least look more traditional. I agree with the other comments about a heavy two blade broadhead. Heavy front of center regardless of the arrow material is important for penetration. I'm just am not a good instinctive shooter, so I am sticking with my Mathews. Some time ago I had a Brackenbury recurve and all the fixin's for sale. I never sold it. If you or anyone else has any interest, PM me, I am willing to give someone a real good deal. You can see it at: http://www.africahunting.com/free-classifieds/8183-sale-jim-brackenbury-recurve-bow.html

Well,,,, it has been 19 years since I shot a traditional bow, my history (I shot a recurve for 6 years prior to buying a compound)... It is amazing what the human mind can retain. I shot 12 arrows and the first few were for shit, didn't even touch the target, the last nine kept getting better. The last 3 shots were a nice little 6 inch group at 20 yrds. Not overly impressive, but, I was very happy with the results. Tonight I shot 6 arrows into a nice 7 inch group at 20yrds. This is with the long bow, have not even shot the recurve yet. Have the archery shop making up a half dozen carbons, (gold tip) arrows for me, giving it a try. I found a new passion/passtime. NO I am not giving up on the rifle....:nope:

I'm glad to hear you picked it up and shot so well. I think you will like the gold tips. Keep us informed of your progress.

Well,,,, it has been 19 years since I shot a traditional bow, my history (I shot a recurve for 6 years prior to buying a compound)... It is amazing what the human mind can retain. I shot 12 arrows and the first few were for shit, didn't even touch the target, the last nine kept getting better. The last 3 shots were a nice little 6 inch group at 20 yrds. Not overly impressive, but, I was very happy with the results. Tonight I shot 6 arrows into a nice 7 inch group at 20yrds. This is with the long bow, have not even shot the recurve yet. Have the archery shop making up a half dozen carbons, (gold tip) arrows for me, giving it a try. I found a new passion/passtime. NO I am not giving up on the rifle....:nope:
Are you shooting instinctive or do you have a sight on your longbow? Your post prompted a discussion with my friends. Because I have trouble with accuracy with my recurve, they suggested adding a sight. Now I know some traditionalist may frown on this. Good for you to find new enthusiasm with the stick bow.

Are you shooting instinctive or do you have a sight on your longbow? Your post prompted a discussion with my friends. Because I have trouble with accuracy with my recurve, they suggested adding a sight. Now I know some traditionalist may frown on this. Good for you to find new enthusiasm with the stick bow.

Instinctive. I have seen some advertised for sale with sights, however, I don't know anyone personally that uses them (sights) on their traditional bow.

Stretch, Have you considered a "clicker". It mounts to your limb (with tape) and makes you draw the bow back to a predetermined draw before the little audible "click" noise lets you know you are at your draw. Supposedly they are wonderful for becoming more accurate and consistent.

Clickety Klick :: Terry Arrow Rest :: Draw Check/Clickers :: Arrow Rests :: Archery Equipment :: eders - Archery Equipment Bowhunting Equipment
I am going to give that a try Tom. I called my local archery shop, they have one in stock.
I would like to use my recurve if I only could be accurate enough, out of respect for the animals I hunt. I have no issue with accuracy when using my Mathews. It is a whole lot different with a release and sights and 80% letoff.
Thanks for the tip Tom.

Stretch you will have a blast!!!

Nothing quite like a stick and string and the feeling when it all comes together.... Shoot, shoot, shoot then shoot some more, pick a spot and you'll be fine?

Since your set up is very close to mine .... I use a 50# Big Jim Thunderchild... my arrows are GT 3555 Expedition Hunters with 5" right helical fletch, 100 grain brass inserts, 175 grain right wing single bevel broadheads... this give me just under 11 grains per pound and excellent flight and penetration. Though I did not shoot anything bigger than Nyala, Blesbok everthing I shot had two holes.

Thia is my Thunderchild buy Big Jim Bows... fits in a suitcase and when together there is no way to tell it's a takedown...

aug_23_2010_016.jpg

aug_23_2010_017.jpg

Stretch you will have a blast!!!

Nothing quite like a stick and string and the feeling when it all comes together.... Shoot, shoot, shoot then shoot some more, pick a spot and you'll be fine?

Since your set up is very close to mine .... I use a 50# Big Jim Thunderchild... my arrows are GT 3555 Expedition Hunters with 5" right helical fletch, 100 grain brass inserts, 175 grain right wing single bevel broadheads... this give me just under 11 grains per pound and excellent flight and penetration. Though I did not shoot anything bigger than Nyala, Blesbok everthing I shot had two holes.

Thia is my Thunderchild buy Big Jim Bows... fits in a suitcase and when together there is no way to tell it's a takedown...

aug_23_2010_016.jpg

aug_23_2010_017.jpg

That is a nice bow. Sweet how a takedown packs so nicely.

Th PSE Coyote came in today as did the carbon arrows. All I can say is, TOM you were right, they fly more true and faster as well. 125 gr field tips and the bow itself is #55. Amazing,,,, Now to quiet this thing down a little.:ssst::ssst::ssst:

coaster500, can we get a close up of how your bow breaks down. I have yet to see one that seperates like yours, very unique, and intriguing.

OK 35bore, you have me thinking. Got to give it another go with my recurve. I to am going to try carbon arrows and heavy points.

Stretch,

I have posted several times, that I am a bow hunter but, I have never been totally captivated by it. I enjoy it don't get me wrong, I started bow hunting for the extended season, and have seen things I never would have by just rifle hunting. I am however very excited about my reintroduction into traditional bow hunting. Still won't give up the rifle though, too many animals during bow season left me saying, if i only had a rifle right now (out of range), plus you cna't beat the smell of smokeless powder on a nice crisp morning. Stretch, give it a shot (pun intended) you never know......

As I posted earlier, the heavier tips and carbon really arrows do make a difference, again thanks TOM for your suggestion, they work.

Stretch,

I have posted several times, that I am a bow hunter but, I have never been totally captivated by it. I enjoy it don't get me wrong, I started bow hunting for the extended season, and have seen things I never would have by just rifle hunting. I am however very excited about my reintroduction into traditional bow hunting. Still won't give up the rifle though, too many animals during bow season left me saying, if i only had a rifle right now (out of range), plus you cna't beat the smell of smokeless powder on a nice crisp morning. Stretch, give it a shot (pun intended) you never know......

As I posted earlier, the heavier tips and carbon really arrows do make a difference, again thanks TOM for your suggestion, they work.

I have been just the opposite. I am a die-hard bow-hunter. I really like hunting with my Mathew's. I feel deadly with it. With your post and a renewed interest I am going give the recurve an honest try again.
I see nothing wrong with rifle/muzzle-loader hunting. Occasionally I pick up the 30-06 to reach out and touch something. That's fun also. Nothing wrong with doing both. Good for you to be able to find a new interest.

I agree, TOM has some good sensible advice. He has also helped me out with my Africa plans.
He is a good guy and anyone considering booking a trip to Africa should look him up.

Jim Babcock of Big Jim Bow Company (Google search) builds this bow in one piece then literally cuts it in half. It is a tang set-up so to speak with a carbon wrapped sleeve. Black Widow Bows and Cari-Bows of Canada also use this system. Jim sells all the materials necessary to build the sleeve yourself, on his website. He also does a set by step video (free) that shows the process in detail. The handle is a beaver tail wrap and it is impossible to tell it's a 2pc. He builds two models, the Thunderchild pictured above in 54, 56, and 58 inch. He also builds a more traditional longbow with a bit less reflex/deflex called a Buffalo Bow in 60, 62, 64, and 66 inches.

Hope this helps

Here is a link that shows how the take down is made. I hope this does not violate any rules if so please remove it???

Big Jim's Bows Video Page

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg