Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Patron NRA, SCI, KRVSA,
Hunted
USA (Fl, Ga, Tn, Kt,Sc, Al, Tx, Nm, Co, Mt, Wy), Canada (Alberta, Manitoba), New Zealand (north & South), South Africa (Kalahari, FreeSate, East Cape & Limpopa)
Well looks like we got all the kinks worked out and heading back to SA for some of the TIny 10 Antelope with Louis & Spiral Horns Safari. Be down in the Free State and then over to East Cape, so what favorite load for the little fellows. I bring the 280AI for the long stuff, the Barnes TSX worked great the last couple years but think the 7MM and 3100 fps may be a little much on close stuff, I do want to have something left to mount , so bring something lighter for close up or ???????????????? Louis mentioned shot gun so break out the Benelli with #1 buck ???

so post up what you guys have used.

Wish list is

Mountain Reedbuck
Common Reedbuck
Vaal Reedbuck
Steenbuck
Blue Duiker
Klipspringer
Cape Greysbuck

Got to have a Springbuck as well I hope, anyone else going over on July 31 arrival date in JNB?

Enjoy the hunt. On the close up tiny ones the shotgun works well.

Huntingbigun,

Already have sacked Mt Reedbok (.375 H&H), common reedbok (.30-06), steinbok (.300 H&H), klipspringer (.375 H&H), and springbok (.300 H&H).
However, If I ever get my ducks in a row for a strictly tiny 10 safari, I plan to use my CZ 550, Mannlicher stock, 6.5x55 Swede and 160 grain RNSP bullet-- Hornady if they ever make them again or, Woodleigh or, perhaps Oryx (156 gr?), and 4x scope.
(Currently it has a Khales on it but, that may change, not sure yet/work in progress.)
A strictly tiny 10 safari is something that I have been thinking about for a long time.
Great minds think alike.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Have a great time hunting those Vaalies. I'm jealous.
Bring a range finder you trust!!! If you are in the mountains hunting them you best have angle compensation.

That 280 will work well here.

How long you going? You are going to cover the country to get that list.

That shotgun is a good idea for the little bush critters. They are fast critters and buckshot is less likely to piss your taxidermist off.

Good luck.

Thanks folks for the reply, we are hunting 13 days, I will be bring my own spotting scope, never go anywhere without my Leopold Range finder or Swarovski"s.

Heck us flat landers get fooled with that hill to hill shot every time (y)My 280 is my favorite antelope gun for out west, set the Jewell trigger to about 2lbs and let my Leopold 4X14 do the rest, fun part of reloading is make a reason to shoot more, Old man Ackley did up the 280 right with his improved mod, shoot like a 7mag but handles like a 270 with McMillian stock and Douglas Barrel. Louis was a believer when I used it the first year to knock out 8 for 8 o_O I got to catch up with Velo Dog nice work (y)(y)(y)(y)

Brickburn you think the #1 is too much or not enough?? Thanks

Thanks folks for the reply, we are hunting 13 days, I will be bring my own spotting scope, never go anywhere without my Leopold Range finder or Swarovski"s.

Heck us flat landers get fooled with that hill to hill shot every time (y)My 280 is my favorite antelope gun for out west, set the Jewell trigger to about 2lbs and let my Leopold 4X14 do the rest, fun part of reloading is make a reason to shoot more, Old man Ackley did up the 280 right with his improved mod, shoot like a 7mag but handles like a 270 with McMillian stock and Douglas Barrel. Louis was a believer when I used it the first year to knock out 8 for 8 o_O I got to catch up with Velo Dog nice work (y)(y)(y)(y)

Huntingbigun,

We all wish you the best of luck on your Tiny 10 Safari.
I forgot to mention that I have also taken a common or gray duiker, (or possibly AKA bush duiker?), with .375 H&H.
At any rate, your .280 should be a dandy for The Eastern Cape/longer shots.
I have fired a .280 (and have fired a 7x64 as well - ballistic twin).
Great long range cartridge.
Much more versatile than the strangely popular .270 Winchester.
Never having even seen a blue duiker, I can only parrot what people who have hunted them tell me, IE: that a shotgun with heavy birdshot (#4 lead or #2 lead) is good.

Safe Travels and Good Hunting,
Velo Dog.

Good luck on the upcoming hunt. Sounds like you have a great plan and caliber in place. Don't forget to post some pictures and a full length biography of the hunt, when you get back.

Brickburn you think the #1 is too much or not enough?? Thanks

#1 Lead is .30 inches in diameter. We shoot most stuff with 30 caliber!!

Should be plenty of penetration.

Figure the distance you are likely to see the little devils and determine your choke. That will be the big factor in not giving the whole load and creating destruction.

Approximate spread:
At 5 yards there is a 5 inch spread (not a good distance in my mind)
At 15 yards there is an 18 inch spread
At 25 yards there is an 25 plus inch spread.

I have taken Coyotes with #5 lead at 35 yards (modified full choke).

Just cause I'm strange don't be dissing my 270 man. :)

BRICKBURN,

Sorry mate, I actually like the .270 and have owned more than one, including a very excellent condition Pre-64 Model-70.
Furthermore, I have shot a decent number of deer & caribou with the .270 (I liked 130 grain spitzers very much in those days).
What I meant was that the 7x64 waaay pre-dated it, is very, very similar, plus will handily shoot heavier bullets when wanted.
It seems strange to me that the .270 caught on so well and the 7x64 did not.
Quite strange in fact.
Whatever.

Kind Regards,
Velo Dog.

Velo, I can't do math so having the final sum makes the choice easy for the caliber choice. :)

HBG, hope you have a successful hunt. What ever you choose to use, shoot straight.

rogerthat

I love my 270 but the wind on the open plains of the free state, rather have the 7mm bullet (y)Brick I have a choke called dead coyote and #3 Hevishot and 31/2 it makes them cry like a home sick baby..

It is just great to see that more and more of our members are showing interest in the Tiny antelopes.
Well done Sir. I sure wish you the best of luck and hope you find some really good trophies.

It is almost time to head over and chase the little ones around so thanks for all the tips, Was out shooting today and the 280AI is ready so the rest will be up to me lol, I did try and new powder this summer and it really lite up some tight groups IMR7828 61. grains pushing 150TTSX Barnes avg 3030fps. Was using IMR4350 but this 7828 really had tight average on velocity and grouped extremely well. So Friday night be back in Africa, cannot wait........................................................

Looking forward to the report, safe trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross