Baboon weight?

Have to agree that avarage large male is around 40-45kg,but just like any other animal it depends on genetics and availability of food. Have taken one or two heavier than 45kg but they had access to irrigated fields year round. Biggest baboons I have seen in SA are around Plett and the dairy farms there,pretty sure they are up on avarage weight by 10-15kg. Remember seeing one taking a sandwich from a truck driver,big semi rig,baboon stood on the ground and simply reached out his arm to take the sandwich from the driver leaning out the truck window.

Then off course there is the story about a baboon and a short wheel base Land Rover,but maybe for another time;)

We had several encounters with large, old males on my recent trip but unfortunately not presented a good shot opportunity. I have no doubt but that at least 2 of them would go 100lbs or more.

With that mouth full of teeth I'd like to have one mounted in a crouching attack/warning position, dimly lit by the front door at night and a baboon scream to play if the alarm goes off.

No need to shoot burglars in such an event as they'd do more harm to themselves I think trying to get away.

They are bloody heavy...

Ado

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure were surprised by the size when I walked up to the one I shot
.:E Eek:

What would PH's consider the more dangerous animal to track wounded, a Bushbuck or Baboon? A PH I hunted with said he would never let his dog track a wounded Baboon as nothing would kill it quicker.

This one weighed 600 pounds.

Oh, wait a minute.....that includes the Zebra! :ROFLMAO:

20150523_115229.jpg

What would PH's consider the more dangerous animal to track wounded, a Bushbuck or Baboon? A PH I hunted with said he would never let his dog track a wounded Baboon as nothing would kill it quicker.
I agree 100% my dogs are not allowed to follow a wounded baboon or any Baboon for that fact ( i have 2 Jack russels) i have seen a baboon kill a strong big staffie in the blink of an eye so you must be careful regardless....

Shot Shot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
v9bettel

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois