B. Searcy 500/416 NE

here is the latest word from Mr. Searcy:

hopefully things will turn out ok... but at this rate im not holding my breath. :V Hang:

-matt
Despite not being obligated, he's doing the work at no cost to you. What would it set you back were it not on Butch's dime? In my opinion, it's a gracious gesture and therefore worthy of the wait.

Matt;
I know it has been a long time coming but at this point I have to agree with @CTDolan. You need to be at least a bit grateful that this one is getting fixed and additionally, warrantied. You've waited a long time but as I understand it, you were not butch's actual customer. So even if these final repairs take more time than he said, you might be best served to try and be gracious about it and when you do get it back... It would not hurt to even thank him;) Now I understand there has been a lot of frustration with your several gun issues, and in some cases you may be justified in being upset... But on occasion you will find in life you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. You are a talented and interesting young man, and I really enjoy your company and passion... But try to smile more :)

at no point have i been ungrateful or ungracious for his willingness to repair the factory flaw, quite the opposite. I have said numerous times in this thread and elsewhere that im grateful that hes willing to fix the rifle. however, I do reserve the right to be a little frustrated that I have been waiting nearly 2 years now. if the rifle comes back fixed then I will of course thank him for his service, I do not need to be told to do that by any one.

however, the absolute last thing a person who has waited 2 years for a rifle repair wants to hear from other people is that he should be grateful to have it fixed at all.

-matt

Cant wait till you get it back and shoot it.

Then why the change of heart? As I said earlier (I have been through the thread...wrote a reply some weeks ago), good things come to those who wait.

I waited 8 years to acquire a 416 (took me that long to save up, even though all I bought is a factory rifle, nothing fancy but entirely serviceable). Patience is a test, gratitude the solution.

Although, I do understand and can appreciate the frustration (especially after the debacle with the 505 from MRC). Shoot your other (GORGEOUS!) 505, though, or your 416, till the double comes back from Butch. You're young, you've time. :)

Man, what bad luck you have. I have been browsing this forum for a while but after I read this, I had to join! Wow, first thank you for all of your posts, I read all of them and they have been very helpful. I read your Sabatti report with great interest and am sorry it did not work out for you. I just purchased one from the new importer and could not be happier. I have the latest batch imported by IFG. Stay away from cabellas models. IFG will regulate the rifle if it does not shoot! Only thing I did to mine is add a few coats of true oil to the stock. It is a very nice walnut stock but I think Sabatti does one coat of oil and sends the rifles out. Easy enough. My shoots great factory ammo and I'm in the process of figuring out hand loads. Worst case, I shoot factory. I bought 6 boxes. I wanted a double forever so I feel your pain. Good luck and hope it all works out

Man, what bad luck you have. I have been browsing this forum for a while but after I read this, I had to join! Wow, first thank you for all of your posts, I read all of them and they have been very helpful. I read your Sabatti report with great interest and am sorry it did not work out for you. I just purchased one from the new importer and could not be happier. I have the latest batch imported by IFG. Stay away from cabellas models. IFG will regulate the rifle if it does not shoot! Only thing I did to mine is add a few coats of true oil to the stock. It is a very nice walnut stock but I think Sabatti does one coat of oil and sends the rifles out. Easy enough. My shoots great factory ammo and I'm in the process of figuring out hand loads. Worst case, I shoot factory. I bought 6 boxes. I wanted a double forever so I feel your pain. Good luck and hope it all works out

thank you and welcome to the forum.

-matt

I would love to see the brass that has a weak spot if possible. I also do not understand the barrel off face issue. Thanks

I would love to see the brass that has a weak spot if possible. I also do not understand the barrel off face issue. Thanks

i sent my bent cases to Searcy in order to show him the problem. the cases were actually bent by the breech face not being in line with the chamber. it would be hard to tell with a picture, but if i can find an old bent case ill try and post it.

-matt

Last edited:
another update,

Butch called me last Friday saying the rifle was done but needed to be regulated and wanted to know what cartridge I wanted it regulated for. sadly, when I tried to email him back (I missed the call) his email seems to be down. so I called and left a message and will try to call him again later.

my thoughts are to have the gun regulated with 400gr A-frames... I cant think of a better bullet for Africa. it was originally regulated for the 400gr TSX which are nice but im trying to get away from hollow point hunting bullets.

-matt

The A-frame is as good a bullet as any. The only other I'd consider is a Woodleigh (410 or 450 grains) so you can shoot both softs and solids.

Swift makes a solid to match their soft now and a Swift A-frame will outperform a Woodleigh soft on large game every time. i use Woodleigh softs in some of my hunting rifles and like them for medium game and some large game but wouldn't use them for the really tough big game (Giraffe and buffalo as examples). you really need to be careful with Woodleigh softs as they are pretty fragile when it comes to massive bones.

-matt

Well, if you get them to regulate (and I'm guessing you will) you'll have two of the best bullets on the planet at your disposal.

I've been waiting for those Swifts to hit the market (the solids). Didn't realize they already had.

I have not seen them in South Africa yet , I have asked the local agents as well and they were not even aware of them .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JameShiple

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!