Mtgoat

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Namibia, Canada (BC, SK, Nunavut & NWT), US (Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Nebraska, New Mexico, NY, Ohio, South Dakota, Texas, & Washington)
I was ready to start shopping for a 375 H&H when 375 Ruger crept into the picture. I understand that in Africa 375 H&H is about as universal as say a 30-06 in the States. What about 375 Ruger? If I should happen to get separated from my ammo should I be able to find some to replace what had gone on walk about?

Mtgoat if everyone worried as much as some on here about their ammo turning up, nobody would use any more than 3 or 4 calibres....it very rarely happens so buy/take what you want to use and makes you happy. i would never/have never even thought about it happening. i have just gone with the rifles i want to use which is part of the enjoyment for me. :)

Mtgoat if everyone worried as much as some on here about their ammo turning up, nobody would use any more than 3 or 4 calibres....it very rarely happens so buy/take what you want to use and makes you happy. i would never/have never even thought about it happening. i have just gone with the rifles i want to use which is part of the enjoyment for me. :)

You're right. However, I grew up using a 16 gauge. At times I had trouble finding shells, or at least the shells that I wanted. Because of that I'm super sensitive about availability.

I also believe that Murphy's Law is particularly applicable when it comes to air travel. When I travel, I rarely check a bag. My philosophy is that if I don't check it, I can't lose it (or anything in it).

I was ready to start shopping for a 375 H&H when 375 Ruger crept into the picture. I understand that in Africa 375 H&H is about as universal as say a 30-06 in the States. What about 375 Ruger? If I should happen to get separated from my ammo should I be able to find some to replace what had gone on walk about?

Mtgoat,
Availability on the Ruger won't be good. If you wanted to make sure, ask your outfitter to organize with his local gun shop to order you a box or two of the Ruger ammo to be available with your arrival.

All the best with your trip sir. I just know you will knock 'em down!

Take Care,
Marius

While it is always good to be prepared, I wouldn't worry about something that happens very infrequently. Choose the rifle in the caliber you want. If the airlines mess your luggage up, there is good news. Your hunt isn't over. Your PH will have a rifle you can use. This may not be optimal but it shouldn't ruin your hunt. Roll with the punches and enjoy the lion hunt.

Before the days of "positive bag match" with the airlines, whereby all bags loaded are matched with a passenger that is checked in for the flight, missing bags was a lot larger problem. Now it sees to be improved over the old days. Lost ammo is not something I worry about any more. If a bag goes missing, a rifle will be found and your hunt will not be lost.

Secondly, make sure before you leave home, that you cycle every round of ammo through your rifle to make sure it chambers correctly, especially if you've reloaded it.

Had a friend go over an not do this and not one round he brought would work in his rifle. Commercial or hand loaded, it makes no difference, cycle them through before you go.

Doing big game? The first time that round goes into that chamber should not be when you "try" to quickly reload for a second shot.
"Oh S##t" doesn't cut it right then!

I agree with all above.
Bring your 375 Ruger and have fun :)
Worst case scenario will be to borrow a gun from the outfitter/ph.

My main hunting weapons are a 375 Ruger, a 6.5-06 and a bow and I will bring them all over the world to hunt with, not being worried about losing my ammo.
If it is of extreme improtance for you to use your own gun, then ask the outfitter in good time before your hunt to organize some ammo for you.
Then you only have to worry about the airliners losing your gun ;)

I've made up my mind - I'm going to stick with my original plan and get a 375 H&H. I'm going this route for multiple reasons - however, my original question is not really a factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.