Auction Hunts

TEX84

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
This has probably been covered on here before, but what is the general consensus on SCI auction hunts? Are they a good deal? Or is there going to be pressure from the PH to shoot extra animals? What is the quality of service like on an auction hunt?

From the research I've done, it almost seems better to work up a deal with the outfitter and pay them directly. Some of the auction hunts seem to have inflated trophy fees and pressure to add days/animals, etc. It seems you could end up paying more in the long run on a auction hunt.

Good question. Some of the hunts seem overpriced for what they offer. I'm sure that some outfitter's would like a few more animals to be taken. Having said that I bought one at SCI. 7 day hunt for 1 hunter and 1 observer and $3000 in trophy fees. 2015 or 16 I paid $3500. So basically my daily's are $500. I probably shouldn't of made the purchase as its costing me a rifle that I'd love to buy. Told the wife that I had arranged next yrs vacation..... I should of looked at their website as the trophy fees are higher than some. I'm sure it will be a great trip and that we'll enjoy it. If someone buys it from before I take it then I'll use the $$ towards another rifle....
Some hunts are better deals than others. It pays to do some research before you go and part with your money. Bruce

Some hunts are better deals than others. It pays to do some research before you go and part with your money.

I think this sums it up well. You can get a great deal, or not so great. It definitely pays to know what you are buying, just like anything else.

Research the auctions and the outfitter offering it just as you would research outfitters when you're booking the more conventional way. SCI and DSC don't from what I can tell vet the donations. Unless the outfitter is on some sort of "Do Not Do Business With" list, SCI and DSC are going to accept the donations. Getting a great deal with a questionable outfitter could become an expensive walk in the bush.

That said, there are great deals to be had. If you win one, the PH/Outfitter should conduct the hunt just as he would if you had booked directly with him. If they don't, they run the risk of it being reported to SCI/DSC and thereby perhaps making that list I mentioned. This includes being pressured to shoot animals that you did not want or intend to take prior to the hunt.

Having said that, remember that this auction hunt is a donation from the outfitter to the organization. They receive no money from the auction proceeds. Thus the money it costs them to conduct that hunt, not to mention the time slot you take up, is a total loss to the outfitter. Shooting extra animals above what was included reduces that loss for the outfitter. Is it required? No, but it is a nice thing to do. Whether you decide to do this or not, you should not be pressured into doing so.

Tex, an exhibitor at most of the shows has an obligation, at some shows it is formal and others it is simply "implied", that a donation be made to the particular club holding the convention.

The level of donation and application of that obligation is applied differently depending on the club.
With some conventions you are allowed to avoid a "hunt" or "product" donation with a standardized minimal cash donation.

Hunt, or product, donations accumulate credit points for an exhibitor in terms of points earned directly proportional to the dollar value of the donation and go towards that particular exhibitor's location on the convention floor and level of convention advertising they receive.

It also displays a level of "good-will" on behalf of the exhibitor towards that particular club, and its members.

Some long standing operators/exhibitors that have been in the game for a long time, have established client lists, and perhaps even waiting lists, will minimize their donations because they just don't need any additional exposure than what they already have.
Some, regardless of this fact, choose to express their goodwill and donate regardless.

Many/most hunt outfitters have worked out how the donation hunt system works and try minimize the financial loss by minimizing the donation.

A lot of the donations I see these days include only the day rate, trophy fees being at the clients cost. This minimizes the loss to the outfitter.
Even in these instances where you may be responsible for trophy fees, the day rates are often up for grabs at greatly reduced prices than otherwise available.

There are still quite a few legitimate "full-scale" donations given by outfitters with free abandon to the full advantage of the winning bidder.

Most/all clubs and conventions require full disclosure of ALL DONATIONS given so that they can be formalized in the convention issue magazines, giving potential bidders the opportunity to check details prior to any of the auctions.

The onus is on you to do your homework, read the details provided in the convention issue mags and reference back to the web sites of the particular outfitter.

There are still some awesome deals available if you are careful and don't drink too much at the auctions !!!!!

Any operator that would exersise an auctioned hunt with anything less than the same level of intensity, effort, detail and commitment than a "normally" booked hunt is a fool that needs to be reported back to the club where the donation was purchased.

Cheers,

Paul.

Good question. Some of the hunts seem overpriced for what they offer.

I certainly noticed a couple of hunts in the last SCI Auction Catalogue that were apparently priced by someone with substance abuse issues.

.............. I should of looked at their website as the trophy fees are higher than some.

This is a price pattern I have noticed.

........ Some hunts are better deals than others. It pays to do some research before you go and part with your money. Bruce

You have to do the research before you ever show up at the auction.

PaulT, telling it exactly like it is.

Like most have said, you really need to research the outfitter. There can be some spectacular bargains, but i would be especially leary of hunts that don't list trophy fees. I may go to 3-4 banquets that have the same outfitters donating at each of them. Makes you wonder how they have afford it? My assumption is they make it up by charging premium pricing for the most coveted species, and with other fees.
That being said, if you are completely aware of all the fees that could be involved, I wouldn't be concerned about booking at a banquet. There have been a couple I've passed on in the last couple years that I have suffered non buyers remorse.

I guess the other extremely important note to make about donated auction hunts purchased at convention shows, that I omitted in my previous post, is to CHECK THE DURATION OF THE VALIDITY OF THE OFFER.

Many/most donated hunts are restricted to validity for ONLY the year they are offered/purchased giving the donator full and legitimate right to cancel, or negate, the offer should something prevent the winning bidder from exercising the hunt in that particular period.

Extreme circumstances should/may prevail, you would think, but even in extreme circumstances, such as illness or family tradgedy, the club/convention to whom the donation has been given is bound, by contract, to oblige by the conditions provided by the donator, which often has a limit of time (usually the year offered) in validity.

This function also is there to protect outfitters from certain members who purchase donated hunts much as they would trade futures in purchasing hunts years in advance of any intent of actually exercising the hunt in an effort to "lock-in" the day rates of a particular area.

Be warned if a donated is only valid for 2015 the club is obligated by the donator to enforce that condition.

P.T.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg