Arrival in Namibia - Navigating the Airport

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by safari gal, May 21, 2010.

1. safari gal

safari gal SPONSOR AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Wild Sheep Foundation, Boone & Crockett Club, PHASA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia, Tanzania, New Zealand, Argentina and throughout North America
    Arrival in Namibia - Navigating the Airport

[​IMG]
    Early morning arrival in Namibia with Air Namibia into Windhoek, Hosea Kutako International Airport.

[​IMG]
    Hosea Kutako International Airport (Airport Code WDH), located 28 miles (45 kilometers) east of the city of Windhoek, capital of Namibia.

[​IMG]
    View of the airport from the plane. As you can see it's quite small and easy to navigate.

[​IMG]
    Tarmac upon arrival at Airport.

[​IMG]
    Once you have gone through Customs to get your passport stamped, you will get to the baggage claim area to pick up your bags and guns.

[​IMG]
    Oversized luggage as well as firearms cases do not come out on the carousel, they will be delivered by someone who will drop them in the baggage claim area from the two doors located on both sides of the carousel, so look out for that. These doors are located to the left and right of this picture.

[​IMG]
    The firearms declaration office is located right next to the baggage claim area, the process to obtain your temporary importation of firearms and ammunition permit could not be more hunter friendly and usually only takes a few minutes.

[​IMG]
    From the baggage claim area you will exit through the Customs & Excise passage area where you will be met by the person picking you up in the arrival hall on the other side. Click here to download the attached pdf document for information on Namibia Customs & Excise.

[​IMG]
    After the arrival hall, you will exit the airport to get to the parking area.

[​IMG]
    Parking and car rental area located right in front of the airport.

[​IMG]
    Arrivals at Hosea Kutako International Airport.

[​IMG]
    Departures at Hosea Kutako International Airport.

Under normal circumstances it takes about an hour from getting off the plane to departing from the airport... Here below are pictures from the airport on the way to Windhoek.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions on flight options to Namibia, firearm procedures or general information.

2. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Thank you Lori for the great pictorial guide, I am sure it will be helpful to those who are planning to visit Namibia.

3. safari gal

safari gal SPONSOR AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Wild Sheep Foundation, Boone & Crockett Club, PHASA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia, Tanzania, New Zealand, Argentina and throughout North America
    You're welcome, Jerome. I hope it helps visitors to get a feel for what the airport process will be like in Windhoek and also put them at ease on arrival. I'll be in South Africa in August and plan to take photos to put together something similar for Johannesburg and Cape Town.

4. TOM

TOM AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
    Hunted:
    Africa...are there other continents to hunt?
    What a great idea! This will be a great help for everyone. Can't wait to see the one for Joberg.

5. Baobab

Baobab AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAPHA
    Hi Lori
    this is a good idea.
    The form at the arival area is usually a problem.
    They are a bit sticky here.
    On the aeroplane please ask for 2 as a mistake is often made.
    Please request them early. It helps time wise on arrival.
    If you have any questions please let me know.
    We had our first drops of rain.
    regards from Namibia
    Margie

6. Baobab

Baobab AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAPHA
    Hi a great deal bigger. Not Frankfurt but huge.
    Windhoek is small and easy.
    Margie

7. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos: