www.travelexpressagency.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Wild Sheep Foundation, Boone & Crockett Club, PHASA
Arrival in Namibia - Navigating the Airport

watermark.php

Early morning arrival in Namibia with Air Namibia into Windhoek, Hosea Kutako International Airport.

watermark.php

Hosea Kutako International Airport (Airport Code WDH), located 28 miles (45 kilometers) east of the city of Windhoek, capital of Namibia.

watermark.php

View of the airport from the plane. As you can see it's quite small and easy to navigate.

watermark.php

Tarmac upon arrival at Airport.

watermark.php

Once you have gone through Customs to get your passport stamped, you will get to the baggage claim area to pick up your bags and guns.

watermark.php

Oversized luggage as well as firearms cases do not come out on the carousel, they will be delivered by someone who will drop them in the baggage claim area from the two doors located on both sides of the carousel, so look out for that. These doors are located to the left and right of this picture.

watermark.php

The firearms declaration office is located right next to the baggage claim area, the process to obtain your temporary importation of firearms and ammunition permit could not be more hunter friendly and usually only takes a few minutes.

watermark.php

From the baggage claim area you will exit through the Customs & Excise passage area where you will be met by the person picking you up in the arrival hall on the other side. Click here to download the attached pdf document for information on Namibia Customs & Excise.

watermark.php

After the arrival hall, you will exit the airport to get to the parking area.

watermark.php

Parking and car rental area located right in front of the airport.

watermark.php

Arrivals at Hosea Kutako International Airport.

watermark.php

Departures at Hosea Kutako International Airport.

Under normal circumstances it takes about an hour from getting off the plane to departing from the airport... Here below are pictures from the airport on the way to Windhoek.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions on flight options to Namibia, firearm procedures or general information.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only issue we had at the airport was no one told us about child trafficking in the country both into and out of.
We were traveling with our 14 and a half year old son with his own pass port but we're almost declined entry because we didn't have his birth certificate. The same happened on departure.
While we did get the mess sorted I advise people traveling with children to carry a copy of all BIRTH CERTIFICATES to avoid hassle.
All other dealing with authorities was an absolute joy with not a problem.
Bob Nelson

Here are a few extra "details".

When you enter the arrival area, they are likely to have a queue for taking facial temperature scans. From there, you'll see some blue Immigration forms on shelves and high top tables. You MUST fill out this form BEFORE you get to the Immigration desks. Oh, and there will be NO PENS, so be sure to bring your own. BE SURE TO TAKE A COUPLE OF EXTRA BLANK IMMIGRATION FORMS BECAUSE YOU'LL NEED TO DO THIS SAME FORM WHEN YOU CLEAR IMMIGRATION GOING HOME.

The "Firearms Claim" office is actually between the Immigration desks and to your "left" before you go thru the double doors into the baggage claim hall. You will have to fill out a Temp Firearm Worksheet. You can download this on-line or there at the counter. You can also fill it out and email it, your passport, 4457 and invitation letter to the NAMPOL at the airport a week or ten days before you arrive. If you do the permit in advance, you will have priority. Next in priority will be those who've go the worksheet filled out and the last priority are those who arrive with nothing filled out. The emailed/pre-filed import permits will already be done. Show the officer copies of your original documents, they'll have you open the rifle case and check serial numbers and you're on your way. If you didn't do the email pre-filing, the Officer will have to fill out your temp import permit by HAND and it will take a bit. You can also expect to have all your luggage and rifle cases scanned/x-rayed BEFORE you exit baggage claim and enter into the main arrival hall.

IF you think you need to exchange some money, just do it right there at the airport at either of the two exchanges next to the information desk in the main hall when you exit baggage claim. The govt has very tight controls on the exchange rates and what is offered at the airport is within a few cents of what you'll get in town. Also note that Namibian citizens can NOT exchange foreign currency for Namibian dollars. So, if you want to leave tips for the staff you may wan to consider this. They WILL take other currency, but then they will have to give it to the PH's/Outfitters who will have to sort out exchanging it for them.

When going back home, you'll go thru the queue to check-in and get your boarding passes and your regular checked bags will be checked in as normal (don't forget to declare ammo). Your rifle case(s) will have the baggage routing strip printed out but NOT attached to the rifle case(s). You have to take your rifle cases to a different NAMPOL office in the main hall between the two main terminal entry doors. Once there, you'll have to wait for or find a NAMPOL officer. You'll be invited into the office one at a time with your rifle case. You'll have to show them your temp import permit, open the case and they will confirm the serial numbers on the rifle(s) and import permit and have you re -lock the case. They will also ask you how many rounds you fired and are taking home.

They will take keep your import permit and stamp the luggage routing slip and you'll have to attach it to the case and BE SURE TO TAKE AND KEEP YOUR CLAIM TAG!. Then you walk back over to the doorway going out to the Immigration departure queue. On your LEFT you'll just put your rifle case on the baggage belt and proceed to the outbound security checks, then Immigration and to the departure hall. You will also have to fill out that same Immigration from I recommended you grabbed on the way in.

Last edited:
Here are a few extra "details".

When you enter the arrival area, they are likely to have a queue for taking facial temperature scans. From there, you'll see some blue Immigration forms on shelves and high top tables. You MUST fill out this form BEFORE you get to the Immigration desks. Oh, and there will be NO PENS, so be sure to bring your own. BE SURE TO TAKE A COUPLE OF EXTRA BLANK IMMIGRATION FORMS BECAUSE YOU'LL NEED TO DO THIS SAME FORM WHEN YOU CLEAR IMMIGRATION GOING HOME.

The "Firearms Claim" office is actually between the Immigration desks and to your "left" before you go thru the double doors into the baggage claim hall. You will have to fill out a Temp Firearm Worksheet. You can download this on-line or there at the counter. You can also fill it out and email it, your passport, 4457 and invitation letter to the NAMPOL at the airport a week or ten days before you arrive. If you do the permit in advance, you will have priority. Next in priority will be those who've go the worksheet filled out and the last priority are those who arrive with nothing filled out. The emailed/pre-filed import permits will already be done. Show the officer copies of your original documents, they'll have you open the rifle case and check serial numbers and you're on your way. If you didn't do the email pre-filing, the Officer will have to fill out your temp import permit by HAND and it will take a bit. You can also expect to have all your luggage and rifle cases scanned/x-rayed BEFORE you exit baggage claim and enter into the main arrival hall.

IF you think you need to exchange some money, just do it right there at the airport at either of the two exchanges next to the information desk in the main hall when you exit baggage claim. The govt has very tight controls on the exchange rates and what is offered at the airport is within a few cents of what you'll get in town. Also note that Namibian citizens can NOT exchange foreign currency for Namibian dollars. So, if you want to leave tips for the staff you may wan to consider this. They WILL take other currency, but then they will have to give it to the PH's/Outfitters who will have to sort out exchanging it for them.

When going back home, you'll go thru the queue to check-in and get your boarding passes and your regular checked bags will be checked in as normal (don't forget to declare ammo). Your rifle case(s) will have the baggage routing strip printed out but NOT attached to the rifle case(s). You have to take your rifle cases to a different NAMPOL office in the main hall between the two main terminal entry doors. Once there, you'll have to wait for or find a NAMPOL officer. You'll be invited into the office one at a time with your rifle case. You'll have to show them your temp import permit, open the case and they will confirm the serial numbers on the rifle(s) and import permit and have you re -lock the case. They will also ask you how many rounds you fired and are taking home.

They will take keep your import permit and stamp the luggage routing slip and you'll have to attach it to the case and BE SURE TO TAKE AND KEEP YOUR CLAIM TAG!. Then you walk back over to the doorway going out to the Immigration departure queue. On your LEFT you'll just put your rifle case on the baggage belt and proceed to the outbound security checks, then Immigration and to the departure hall. You will also have to fill out that same Immigration from I recommended you grabbed on the way in.

Between Travel Express’ pictures and your description, I was transported back to Namibia 2018.
For those headed to Namibia in the near future these were great depictions of what to expect.
Great info! Everyone from the US do yourself a favor and deal with Lori at Travel Express. I had to cancel my flights to Namibia. Lori is a pro and I am very impressed with how she got refunds, communicated with me, and is still working with me for our rebooking options. Hope to re schedule my trip for next April. Thanks for all the information.

Great info! Everyone from the US do yourself a favor and deal with Lori at Travel Express. I had to cancel my flights to Namibia. Lori is a pro and I am very impressed with how she got refunds, communicated with me, and is still working with me for our rebooking options. Hope to re schedule my trip for next April. Thanks for all the information.
@gesch
Lori sounds like a real gem. Wish there was more like her.
Bob

Great post! A place I know very well and really love. WDH could not be easier to navigate and the people are very nice and helpful. The gun permit is the easiest I know of and can be done when you get there.
The only issue I have had is that, although most say if traveling with guns to arrive at the airport 3 hours before your flight, the ticket counters only open up about 2 hours before the flight. No matter what time you get there be prepared to wait in line for a while.
Philip

@gesch - thanks for the compliment, I really appreciate it. It’s been a pleasure working with you and I look forward to getting you set up for Namibia again.

Thank you for the information, going to namibia in 2021.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you