Arizona Elk Draw Results 2015

Happy for you.

Slay a dragon!

No. Nutrioso is in Unit 1. Unit 27 starts at Cifton/Morenci, and extends north to Alpine. North of Alpine is Unit 1.

Gotcha, only been up in that area once, this past October or so. Bought a M70 in .300H&H from a gent named John MacIvor, lives somewhat close to Nutrioso.

Nutrioso is a nice area. Used to know a guy who had some property there with a several acre trout lake. Would go up in the summers and do some fishing. Escudilla Mountain is not far from there, where the last Grizzly bear in Arizona was killed.

I know a bugling bull elk on a archery hunt is one thing I can never get enough of. It is one hunt guys from Africa should get to try at least once. Hope one day to share it with Pieter and loodt.

Congratulations on your tag. I've been applying for 10 years now in my home state of Pennsylvania. No luck so far. Who knows maybe this will be my year.

A screaming Bull Elk 20 yards away is an awesome experience.

Good luck to those drawn! For me it is another preference point and better luck next year.

11131828_1058954267452437_1606391643_n.jpg

Congrats Jeff! It doesn't get much better than bugling bulls and a bow (y) Will be looking forward to reading the details and hopefully seeing some hunt pics:)

Thanks man, it took 14 years worth of bonus points to get this unit. I drew tag # 000001 which means that I was the top point holder going for this unit. I could have drawn it last year but my work schedule was conflicting.

I agree with you... of all the hunting one can do, a rutting and screaming bull elk coming in to the bow is very hard to beat. It's a great unit, I have a very good outfitter, and I am pretty stoked about it!

Congrats to all of you other fellows who drew too. Maybe we can meet up sometime during the hunt.

Thanks man, it took 14 years worth of bonus points to get this unit. I drew tag # 000001 which means that I was the top point holder going for this unit. I could have drawn it last year but my work schedule was conflicting.

I agree with you... of all the hunting one can do, a rutting and screaming bull elk coming in to the bow is very hard to beat. It's a great unit, I have a very good outfitter, and I am pretty stoked about it!

Congrats to all of you other fellows who drew too. Maybe we can meet up sometime during the hunt.

Out and about so I don't have a map nearby, but I do believe 3C is right by 4B where I'll be hunting. Just might need to meet you at the Red Onion all around dive bar and grill in Heber, AZ for a burger and a beer. Look it up and let me know if you'll be near there!

Just about had a heart attack!!! Checked my credit card and saw NMDGF $3173 and thought OMG Desert sheep!!! then I realized that is the pre-draw deadbeat deterrent pre-payment :( No tags for me so far.

Just about had a heart attack!!! Checked my credit card and saw NMDGF $3173 and thought OMG Desert sheep!!! then I realized that is the pre-draw deadbeat deterrent pre-payment :( No tags for me so far.

The let down from Desert BH to nothing.:cry:

The let down from Desert BH to nothing.:cry:

Luckily it was only half a second lol, any more would have been rough. (no interrupted happy dance) :)

Out and about so I don't have a map nearby, but I do believe 3C is right by 4B where I'll be hunting. Just might need to meet you at the Red Onion all around dive bar and grill in Heber, AZ for a burger and a beer. Look it up and let me know if you'll be near there!

map_region1.jpg

Right you are Phil, and I'll be happy to meet up with you sir!

I will have a guide for the hunt, and unless my work schedule changes I'll probably fly out, but we will make it happen. I look forward to it sir!

View attachment 40499

Right you are Phil, and I'll be happy to meet up with you sir!

I will have a guide for the hunt, and unless my work schedule changes I'll probably fly out, but we will make it happen. I look forward to it sir!

Don't know if you've been this way before, but you're hunting in what we call the rim country. Specifically you're hunting the Mogollon Rim. You'll impress your guide if you can pronounce Mogollon correctly. Mogollon is pronounce Mow Gui On, the Gui part is kind of like Guh but with an "ee" sound on the end, not Jee.

I would guess you'll be hunting in the south side of the unit close to or even to the downhill side of the rim. Gets pretty rugged in there. The elevation in this area actually goes down as you head north so the elk tend to stay in the higher elevations to the south.....that said you're guide may have some hotspots in the north end.

A number of years ago, maybe 10 or so, there was a big fire to the south of Heber. Burned a lot of timber, but that's opened a lot of ground to growing grasses which of course the elk love.

Who is your guide?

Thanks for the information Phil. I have kicked around a bit out there but I'm not at all familiar with the hunt local. Any and all that you can share will be much appreciated.

I booked with a guy who came highly recommended by Brec Bundy of Mule Deer Addiction Outfitters. Brec guided me on my very first mule deer hunt back in 2005 which just happended to be on the famed Arizona Strip in unit 13A. We took the biggest buck killed in the unit that year and it ruined me for life!
My hunt story can be found here on Brec's website, http://muledeeraddiction.com/ Just click on "articles" to view it.

Anyway, Brec and I became good friends and still keep in touch. In the past couple of years I have accumulated enough points to draw a good archery tag in Arizona and asked Brec if he knew of a good outfitter for me to talk to about choosing a specific unit. He steered me towards Daniel Franco of Burnt Timber Outfitters who had drawn a tag for mule deer on the Strip in 2013 and hunted with Brec. I got to know Daniel a bit and I have chosen him to be my guy on the elk hunt this fall.

Interesting that you mentioned the burned timber...

thanks again,
Jeff

Thanks for the information Phil. I have kicked around a bit out there but I'm not at all familiar with the hunt local. Any and all that you can share will be much appreciated.

I booked with a guy who came highly recommended by Brec Bundy of Mule Deer Addiction Outfitters. Brec guided me on my very first mule deer hunt back in 2005 which just happended to be on the famed Arizona Strip in unit 13A. We took the biggest buck killed in the unit that year and it ruined me for life!
My hunt story can be found here on Brec's website, http://muledeeraddiction.com/ Just click on "articles" to view it.

Anyway, Brec and I became good friends and still keep in touch. In the past couple of years I have accumulated enough points to draw a good archery tag in Arizona and asked Brec if he knew of a good outfitter for me to talk to about choosing a specific unit. He steered me towards Daniel Franco of Burnt Timber Outfitters who had drawn a tag for mule deer on the Strip in 2013 and hunted with Brec. I got to know Daniel a bit and I have chosen him to be my guy on the elk hunt this fall.

Interesting that you mentioned the burned timber...

thanks again,
Jeff

A 35" mulie is truly a trophy of a lifetime, I can tell you I've only seen those types on walls, never on the ground. Great write up on your hunt, but I need to see pics!

There are good elk to be had in 3C. Just as my buddy and I headed home after our last elk hunt which we had come close on numerous occasions but didn't connect, we saw a guy with an elk in his pickup. If you look at the map you posted, you can see where Heber is. You also can see Hwy 260. Somewhere west of Heber this fellow was coming onto the 260 from the south, i.e. from unit 3C. Big bull, maybe not book, but a very nice bull that the vast majority of hunters would be thrilled with.

Be patient like you were on your mulie hunt. Be ready to go home empty handed in an effort to hold out for a good bull. If you're going to be there for the entire duration of the hunt, I assure you that you will hear and see plenty of bulls. We've often gone to sleep at night being serenaded by bugling bulls and woken up to the same. Somedays they'll bugle well into the morning and somedays they'll be quiet. The first time you hear a bull sound off and he's inside of 50 yards you'll be changed, nothing like it on this continent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross