Are Nyala or Bushbuck hunted from hides?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Africa' started by buzz1858, Jun 10, 2013.

1. buzz1858

buzz1858 AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    OWAA
    Hunted:
    RSA NFLND
    Are either Nyala or Bushbuck hunted from blinds / hides, or are they strictly spot and stalk?
  2. firehuntfish

firehuntfish AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA QDMA NWTF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Botswana, RSA
    buzz1858,

It kinda depends where and who you are hunting with... Nyala and bushbuck are both great animals to spot and stalk. The nyala tends to tolerate your presence and movement better than most. Of the two, the bushbuck will definitely be the bigger challenge spot & stalk.

You will definitely get opportunity at nyala out of hides as well. I never saw a bushbuck out of a permanent hide in 4 trips. I got my shot opportunity out of a mobile pop up blind that was set up for me down along the river bottom which is the natural habitat for Limpopo bushbuck. They are definitely more shy and elusive than most plainsgame. I would love to take one via spot & stalk, and I'm sure it can be done...But, you had better be prepared to put the time in. It will be a challenge.
  3. buzz1858

My Photos:
    Member of:
    OWAA
    Hunted:
    RSA NFLND
    I've heard / read somewhere that Bushbuck are frequently hunted from portables along trails. I'm a fairly good crawler, it's how I prefer whitetail hunting -but these two are new to me. BTW, it'll be on the eastern cape.
  4. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    All depends on how hard the land is hunted, especially with a rifle and how lucky you are....nothing is impossible, but certain factors can be your friend. Some of properties in the East Cape are hunted hard and others not as much.
  5. Warbird782

Warbird782 AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    RSA, USA
    My cousin just got back from RSA and he shot a Nyala and Bushbuck from the same blind.
  6. Norwegianwoods

Norwegianwoods SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa
    I am going to hunt Bushbuck by spot and stalk with my bow in the Eastern Cape in July.
    Looking forward to it and hopefully I will manage to shoot one :)
  7. buzz1858

My Photos:
    Member of:
    OWAA
    Hunted:
    RSA NFLND
    Good luck to you, make sure you post after.
    Part of the reason I asked is that I understand Bushbuck are a tough go with a rifle too.
    As this willl very likely be my last trip due to health concers, I need to make the most of it. I really want one, and I really do not want to rifle one if I can avoid it.
  8. INGOZI

INGOZI AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    ABO, SCI, SABA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Zambia, United States
    On properties that are set up correctly (hide placement, game numbers) both will be a common sight at waterholes during the dry months.
  9. buzz1858

My Photos:
    Member of:
    OWAA
    Hunted:
    RSA NFLND
    Good to hear...
    I've never brought any trophies back, and think it would be very nice to bring home this time a sort of mini spiral slam of Kudu, Nyala, and Bushbuck. Look good in the new house.
  10. James.Grage

James.Grage GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa
    Hunting will depend on area you are in. i have done it both ways.

You will have to rely on your PH for the thumbs up for the shot.
  11. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan
    Buzz, there are certainly those that can provide you with a Bushbuck but they can be a tough critter to get (just ask Enyse). I was fortunate enough to take 2 while hunting with CT safaris and did kill one by slowly slipping along the edge of dense cover along the river. Chris has a real good population of them and I can vouch for his ability to get you one.
  12. TOM

TOM AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
    Hunted:
    Africa...are there other continents to hunt?
    I guess I've been lucky. A nice bushbuck came into a tiny waterhole back in the hills and was my first african animal. To be honest, I shot him a little far back but it must have gotten liver as he was dead within 150 yards.
  13. mudslinger

mudslinger AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF, NAHC. LSBA
    Hunted:
    USA, New Zealand, South Africa
    I have shot both and was very lucky on both or should I say three. I killed a 29 3/4" Nyala on a spot and stalk hunt in the Limpopo in 2010 and finished my Spiral Slam in style with 2, yes 2 spot and stalk Buchbucks on the Limpopo River in Sept 2012 on the same day from 2 different concessions. I have only seen 1 Nyala at a hide in 3 trips, but the outfitter I use had the World Record Buchbuck for about 2 years or so and it was killed out of a blind. The Nyala was basically luck, but the Bushbucks were and absolute blast stakling them along the Limpopo River with crocs along the bank and in the river. We killed 4 Bushbuck between 2 of us in 1 1/2 days on 3 different concessions on the Limpopo River in 2012.

Doug's Nyala.JPG

IMG_2663.JPG

IMG_2649.JPG
  14. buzz1858

My Photos:
    Member of:
    OWAA
    Hunted:
    RSA NFLND
    I've pretty much figured spot and stalk is my best bet for both. I've heard that the upper cape is a great stalking place due to terrain, etc.
    Either way, I want both, even if I have to rifle them (gag).
    Hey, it's probably my last trip and I've got a wall to fill at the new house.