Are Black Rhino numbers increasing or decreasing?

postoak

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Patriot Life member Benefactor Level
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
If you go by the headlines, black rhinos are being quickly exterminated. If you go to rhino preservation websites, they show that numbers have almost doubled since 1993, from about 2700 to 5000. So, which is it?

I know nothing about the subject other than what I have read and don't have any numbers at my fingertips. It is my understanding they were rising in numbers till the past 5 or so years and have been hit pretty hard since then. This could still fit what you are saying. 2700 to a number greater than 5000, now knocked down to the 5000 figure.

"There are currently 5,055 Black Rhinoceros (Diceros bicornis) and 20,405 White Rhinoceros (Ceratotherium simum) in Africa. Although these numbers have increased slightly over the last two years, there is no room for complacency. "

"Updated facts on the rhino crisis come on the eve of the 16th meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) that will take place from 3 to 14 March in Bangkok, Thailand."

IUCN - African rhinos won?t hold out for much longer, IUCN experts warn

Well, I tend to distrust what organizations coming from an anti-hunting position say. I don't know if CITES is that, but the headline doesn't match the statement in the article. In it, it said the rate of growth was slowing. So absolute numbers are increasing.

Yes, I'm not advocating complacency, but I want the actual facts. It sounds to me as if there were no poaching losses that both species would be increasing quite a bit.

Thanks. I didn't want to read all that because what I said is that I tend to distrust anti-hunting organizations for delivering the truth, and I don't know whether CITES is such an organization or not, but their headline didn't match their own article. Black rhino and white rhino numbers are increasing.

Just to reiterate, we still mustn't be complacent.

Thanks. I didn't want to read all that because what I said is that I tend to distrust anti-hunting organizations for delivering the truth, and I don't know whether CITES is such an organization or not, but their headline didn't match their own article. Black rhino and white rhino numbers are increasing.

Just to reiterate, we still mustn't be complacent.

Fair enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross