Approaching new year and some new rifles

Voodooracer

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hello everyone, I haven't been on the forum as much as I would like to lately, life has been getting busy. I just wanted to post a quick gun update. I posted a topic about taking my ruger no.1 deer hunting this year and had no luck, so that was a bust. On the bright side my uncle who is a part time gun smith down in Florida is offering me a screaming deal on a Remington 721 in 300 h&h. He did some custom work on it by installing a nice bdl stock on it and his usual bedding and free floating job as well as some other tweaks here and there. He is keeping his scope he had on it though but that's no issue to get some new glass for it. He's also including reloading dies and enough components to handload for it for quite a while. He should be making a trip up here to PA soon for vacation and bring the rifle up with him for me to buy. I'm extremely excited to have a chance at a classic african caliber in a great old rifle! I'll post pictures and a range report once I get it. I hope everyone has a happy and safe holiday season!

This will be my first foray into it, I've shot 300 win mags and 300 weatherby mags quite a bit. It will be nice to play with such a classic cartridge

Never shot one of those H and H before but I have taken my Ruger #1 300 win mag to Africa twice. The #1 did the work on Kudu, Zebra, Oryx, Warthog, Blesbock, Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest and Impala. Let us know how it does and post some photos when you can.

That's great! I'm hoping to hunt the majority of the species you mentioned on my first safari. I will definitely post some photos as soon as I get it

Never shot one of those H and H before but I have taken my Ruger #1 300 win mag to Africa twice. The #1 did the work on Kudu, Zebra, Oryx, Warthog, Blesbock, Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest and Impala. Let us know how it does and post some photos when you can.

I'm going all the way to Africa just to shoot a .300 H&H, Ruger #1. Right @tarbe ??? :)

Voodoo,

Keep the good stuff coming!!!!

Great going. Congrats on securing a true classic caliber. Hornady, Nosler, and, I believe our sponsor Norma make brass for the .300 H&H. Winchester and Remington make it from time to time but this is not one of these times.
I've found the reloading books, especially the older ones, to be correct. With heavier bullets, I can match or surpass .300 Win Mag velocities with my .300 H&H's. And I've found W-W .300 H&H brass has but 4-5 grains less capacity than W-W .300 Win Mag brass.
I have found, though, that .300 H&H brass does not last through too many reloadings and I normally don't load to maximum levels. A friend made a sleeve to fit over the .300 H&H necks with an internal bevel that matches the shoulder angle. With this, I can measure case length prior to sizing and after. This allows me to size just enough to keep from moving the shoulder back. Still, though, I've had several both partial and full head separations and others report the same short case life I have experienced.
But it's worth it to own and shoot my two, and soon to be three, Holland Super Thirtys.

I'm going all the way to Africa just to shoot a .300 H&H, Ruger #1. Right @tarbe ??? :)

Voodoo,

Keep the good stuff coming!!!!

Not just shoot....you have to kill something with it!

If you think a 180gr Barnes TTSX at 3,060 fps MV will do the trick!

Not just shoot....you have to kill something with it!

If you think a 180gr Barnes TTSX at 3,060 fps MV will do the trick!

NOW WE'RE COOKING WITH GAS!!!

It will be just like this, except with one shot....

:W Shooting Uzi:

Thanks! I can't wait to get ahold of it and do some hunting with it!

Great rifle, the 721 was hard to beat. I once had one in .270, and a 722 in .257....liked the .257 better, so I sold the .270. I really wish I had thought more about it at the time.....Gary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg