Anyone Worked With the Barnes 350 gr TSX In A .375 H&H?

Stocky

AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.stockysstocks.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor NRA, African Safari Club, SCI Life Member, SCI South Florida, NSSF
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique
Barnes lists just two loads using their new 350 grain TSX 375, I would appreciate hearing if anyone has worked with it or has any other experience with it.

Second question is, is it worth the effort over the 300 TSX?

Well, most people think the 350 hit a lot harder, no doubt they do, you probably lose some advantage for longer shots. But, you can also learn the changes in elevation too.

Like the 350 North fork and 380 Rhino it bumps the 375 almost up to 416 status........ for plains game it would be too much than what is required...... on Buff the 300gr works just as well, I honestly can not say that the 350 will kill it more dead than what the 300 potentially would.... :) Ha Ha!!!

I am a sucker for the heavier projectiles as well, they will work well these 350 TSX'S..

My best always.

The 350TSX performs really well on buffalo,excellent penetration.

Just worked up a load with the 350 grain TSX and Reloader 15. 3 shots at 100 yards within 3/8” of each other. Very happy.

I got 350 gr tsx and banded solids for 375 wby. On paper they look formidable. With 375 wby you can get extra velocity and range. There are few members here have 375 wby and have used them. Hopefuly they may chime in.
Krish

Just worked up a load with the 350 grain TSX and Reloader 15. 3 shots at 100 yards within 3/8” of each other. Very happy.
Tobe, what charge and what velocity did you land at? I tested 350gr TSX and Woodleigh PP's for my first cape buffalo hunt in 2017 and had a tough time getting the 350 TSX's to group. I'll have to double check my notes later, but I believe I was using RL15 as the powder.

TSX need speed to perform to their maximum potential. You can't push the 350 as hard as a 300. Yes people have used them they did have good penetration. If you look at the lack of the petals opening compared to a 300, you will have a better understanding of the deeper penetration. The bullet doesn't have as much frontal surface area to slow it down.

Mono bullets are longer than their counter parts(lead) per weight. Mono eats up more case capacity, that means less powder, which contributes to the lower velocities. The 300 is well balanced, it is at home taking shots at 20 yards on a buff or 300 yards on a once in a lifetime Kudu.

Do what your heart desires, just understand the fact first so you can make the most informed decisions for yourself.

I have a Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby. I like the 350g Woodleigh HD SPs. I load them to 2550 fps. I do load the 570g TSX's in my 500 Jeffery. Both great bullets.

Based entirely on my understanding of Kevin Robertson’s excellent work, the 350 grain bullets become more effective than the 300 grain variety because the permanent wound cavity tends to be 3x the diameter of the expanded projectile. The 350 grain weldcores expand to a greater diameter than the 300 grain weldcores so create a larger wound channel which causes more blood out and more air in. I understand that this rule of thumb holds for many bullet designs but the Barnes TSX is an outlier because due to the depth of the hollow point being similar between the 300 and the 350 grainer the expanded diameter and therefore the dimensions of the permanent wound channel remains the same. This being the case the 350 grain TSX doesn’t offer the same increase in performance that other heavy for calibre offerings gives. Just my interpretation of Doctari’s words….

Based entirely on my understanding of Kevin Robertson’s excellent work, the 350 grain bullets become more effective than the 300 grain variety because the permanent wound cavity tends to be 3x the diameter of the expanded projectile. The 350 grain weldcores expand to a greater diameter than the 300 grain weldcores so create a larger wound channel which causes more blood out and more air in. I understand that this rule of thumb holds for many bullet designs but the Barnes TSX is an outlier because due to the depth of the hollow point being similar between the 300 and the 350 grainer the expanded diameter and therefore the dimensions of the permanent wound channel remains the same. This being the case the 350 grain TSX doesn’t offer the same increase in performance that other heavy for calibre offerings gives. Just my interpretation of Doctari’s words….
perfect interpretation I believe

You can easily load 350gr tsx to 2300 fps in your 375 h&h. More than enough for the bullet to expand and do damage.

I hunted Cape Buffalo and other game in Zimbabwe in 2021 and finished with a plains game hunt in Pearston, East Cape, South Africa. I used my Krieghoff Classic 5 in .470 NE with my hand loaded 500 grain Barnes TSX for the buffalo and for a sable in South Africa. We left my wife and a tracker in the bush and the PH and I stalked the Buff, who had moved around and ended up about 50-60 yards from my wife and the tracker, but facing away from her. I took a broadside shot at about 40 yards and the Buff wheeled around and started running right toward my wife and the tracker. Fortunately, the buff dropped within 30 yards of them. The Sable stood for 30 seconds after the shot, did not take a step and dropped where shot. The other plains game in South Africa were all taken with my Blaser in .375 H&H with 250 grain Barnes TTSX loaded by Choice Ammo in Colorado. Exceedingly accurate and deadly. With the exception of a Waterbuck who ran about 50 yards, all other animals shot with the Barnes TTSXs either dropped to the shot or took a few steps and fell over. My Black Wilderbeest was taken at 364 yards off sticks and took 3 or 4 steps and also dropped. I left a plastic unmaked box of the Choice Ammo .375s with my PH and, when I returned this year, he told me of clients using their camp rifle in .375 H&H to hunt Cape Buffalo. Two one shot kills with well placed broadside shots. They were under the impression that the .375s were 300 grain but they were not. Speaks volumes of the capability of Barnes 250 gr .375 TTSX and the importance of well placed shots.

As much as I like the 300gr TSX, the 350gr would be my least favorite bullet in that weight in a 375 H&H. The 300gr has to be pushed pretty fast to make it open up well. The 350gr really can't be pushed fast enough in a 375 H&H to expand reliably. Even the 300gr TSX doesn't open up a lot at 2450 fps muzzle velocity. Much better to push it to 2550 fps.
The 350gr TSX should work well in the faster 375s, such as the Weatherby or Ultra Mag. But if you're going to put yourself through that much recoil, you may as well go to a 416.
If I were going with a 350gr bullet in a 375 H&H, it would be a Northfork or similar.

I have used the 350 gr. Weldcore and load it right at 2,300 fps (actually 2,292 fps via the chrony) using H4350 after trading emails with Kevin Robertson.

I have a box of the 350 gr. TSX that I plan on loading with either H4350 or Ramshot Big Game. H4350 will have slightly better load density, but in any case, both will handle high ambient temperatures nicely.

I have loads worked up for IMR 4350 and R15. Velocity for both is 2350. R15 groups at 1/2” at 100 yards. IMR 4350 groups under an inch at 100 yards. The .375, 350 grain TSX expanded to .753 on a Buffalo, shot at 110 meters. One shot dropped the Buffalo. That was with the IMR 4350. Heading back in May for Buffalo and will try the R15.

I have loads worked up for IMR 4350 and R15. Velocity for both is 2350. R15 groups at 1/2” at 100 yards. IMR 4350 groups under an inch at 100 yards. The .375, 350 grain TSX expanded to .753 on a Buffalo, shot at 110 meters. One shot dropped the Buffalo. That was with the IMR 4350. Heading back in May for Buffalo and will try the R15.

Nice!

I hunted Cape Buffalo and other game in Zimbabwe in 2021 and finished with a plains game hunt in Pearston, East Cape, South Africa. I used my Krieghoff Classic 5 in .470 NE with my hand loaded 500 grain Barnes TSX for the buffalo and for a sable in South Africa. We left my wife and a tracker in the bush and the PH and I stalked the Buff, who had moved around and ended up about 50-60 yards from my wife and the tracker, but facing away from her. I took a broadside shot at about 40 yards and the Buff wheeled around and started running right toward my wife and the tracker. Fortunately, the buff dropped within 30 yards of them. The Sable stood for 30 seconds after the shot, did not take a step and dropped where shot. The other plains game in South Africa were all taken with my Blaser in .375 H&H with 250 grain Barnes TTSX loaded by Choice Ammo in Colorado. Exceedingly accurate and deadly. With the exception of a Waterbuck who ran about 50 yards, all other animals shot with the Barnes TTSXs either dropped to the shot or took a few steps and fell over. My Black Wilderbeest was taken at 364 yards off sticks and took 3 or 4 steps and also dropped. I left a plastic unmaked box of the Choice Ammo .375s with my PH and, when I returned this year, he told me of clients using their camp rifle in .375 H&H to hunt Cape Buffalo. Two one shot kills with well placed broadside shots. They were under the impression that the .375s were 300 grain but they were not. Speaks volumes of the capability of Barnes 250 gr .375 TTSX and the importance of well placed shots.

Wife shot her buff with the 250 TTSX loaded to 2850. Didn’t go 10 yards one lung heart under skin on opposite side

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross