Anyone Lookng for 257 Weatherby Loads?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by 1ObsessedHunter, Jan 13, 2013.

1. 1ObsessedHunter

1ObsessedHunter AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Got out to the range yesterday. I had good conditions...not to cold and wind was dead calm. I finally sighted in my 375 H&H, which I was itching to shoot for about 6 months now. I also shot my custom 257 Weatherby which always produces fantastic groups. I've attached one 3-shot group from yesterday, which I haven't measured but I suspect is a little over .25". I'm using 70grs. of IMR7828 and Berger 115s. It averages just over 3400 on the chronograph. It's like shooting a lazer beam....very flat.

Attached Files:

2. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    It 's not the first time, I've have heard about that caliber being super accurate. Congrats!

3. billc

billc SILVER SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    united states canada mexico south africa
    just got my son a remington model 700 in 257weatherby.Hoping to use it next trip to africa on plains game.Hope it shoots that good when we get out to the range soon.I will keep this load of yours in mind for sure to try out.

4. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
    Great caliber, I love mine and so far Impala, Nyala, Warthog, Bushbuck, Springbok (of varying colors), Mountain Reedbuck, Blesbok, Waterbuck and Steinbok unanimously hate it. ;)

5. billc

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Did you reload your own bullet combo or use factory ammo on all those animals taken.

6. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
    100gr Barnes TSX handloads at 3650fps

7. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    How much free bore does your custom gun have? I have gun being built with a Lilja bbl chambered in .257 WBY. As per several recommendations (including my gunsmith) for best accuracy it is being built with minimal free bore. As such I will not be able to shoot factory ammo, which is a pain, but I think one hole groups are worth it.

8. 1ObsessedHunter

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    You know I'm not sure what length freebore my gunsmith cut in chambering my barrel. Mine is built with a Krieger barrel. My gunsmith told me not to worry, he would handle the freebore. He made that freebored area so tight there is only .0005" of fee space surrounding the bullet. This is essentially like not having freebore. However, I think both you and I, with the velocites we're getting can shoot factory ammo. With these velocities we are both using loads comparable to factory loads if not more. I would not hesitate to shoot factory ammo through my gun.

9. 1ObsessedHunter

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    I love it:cool2: it's like shooting missles not bullets with this type of velocity

10. billc

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Did you have any of those animals go any distance after shooting.Were most recovered within a 100yds of were shot.

11. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Warthog was a bad shot and he went 150yds and required a second shot. Blesbok, to my shame, required 6 rounds. All but one poorly placed at 300+ yds in gusty 40mph winds. Impala 10yds, Nyala x2 DRT, Bushbuck 1 - 30yds, Bushbuck 2 DRT, Springbok x 3 DRT, Mountain Reedbuck 40yds, Waterbuck DRT and Steinbok DRT.

My only issue with it is that it puts bigger exit holes than my .338 Lapua! Still they are not terribly large by any means and the intense internal damage is not mirrored in hide damage.

12. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    I love that it mirrors the 30-378 trajectory as the flattest mainstream cartridge.

13. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    That load is from my factory bbl. When I get my new gun in the spring I have been told no factory ammo and will have to start to work up some starting with a reduced powder charge and will have to play with powders to find something that has a lower initial pressure and go from there. Velocity should not change much (probably -50fps or so) but the powder charge will definitely be smaller to achieve that velocity.