Anyone ever use Nylstroom Taxidermy in South Africa?

6thtexas

Reaction score
I have my first trip to Africa coming up in July . The outfitter recommens Trophy Pro SA for the dipping, packing, etc. I have been in correspondence with
them and understand that they use Nylstroom Taxidermy for full taxidermy work. Anyone have any experience with them? What research I've done on them
appears very favorable. What the wife and I would like to have done is:

Shoulder mounts-kudu, gemsbok, bush buck
Euro mounts-impala, blesbok
full tanned hides-zebra, impala, blesbok
and warthog tusks on a plaque

This list, of course is subject to change depending on how the hunt goes

Last edited by a moderator:
Nylstroom

I have my first rrip to Africa coming up in July . The outfitter recommens Trophy Pro SA for the dipping, packing, etc. I have been in correspondence with
them and understand that they use Nylstroom Taxidermy for full taxidermy work. Anyone have any experience with them? What research I've done on them

Paul does great work , I have had 4 shoulder mounts and a Zebra rug done and all were great I will be going back in July also and plan on useing him

watermark.php

I have been back from my dream trip to South Africa for a hunt last October 2012. The place that I hunted with used Nylstroom Taxidermy for their clients. I had talked to past clients that had concerns that they did not use their cape for their mount so I was a little concerned about mine. I tried to get Paul to send me pictures of what had been done on the one shoulder mount that I was having done. I could not get any reply from him. I sent an Email to the people that I hunted with and they forwarded it to Paul with my comments from above. The next day I got a picture of my only shoulder mount and kudu. and it was my cape but it was saposto be a right mount and it was a left mount. it was in its last stage and was about a month after they said it would be done so I didn't reply. several weeks later I got a phone call from Paul saying when they were doing the crate he saw that the head was backwards I said I just wanted it sent and they? decided that I should get some kind of refund for their mistake. I though that was a nice thing for them to do. When I got the heads a week ago I could not believe what the ears looked like. I sent an Email to Paul asking if there was anything that could be done to fix the hair that was sticking straight out and that the ears looked like the were blown up like a balloon. As in the past there has not been a single reply from Paul om anything. If this is to late and Paul has your heads I would get on his case to send you some pictures to let you see if they are correct before it is to late. If you have any questions reply back. I will check the web site.

Tom:(

I have my first rrip to Africa coming up in July . The outfitter recommens Trophy Pro SA for the dipping, packing, etc. I have been in correspondence with

Last edited by a moderator:
We wound up not using anyone in South Africa. Once we got over there, the wife decided to have everything but the zebra and the warthog done as shoulder mounts. I figured the extra freight on them would negate any savings on having the work done over there. Also Trophy Pro SA had quit using Nylstroom and is now using someone I had no information on.

Sorry to hear of problems. I used Bullseye Taxidermy in SA a couple years ago for 3 heads and was VERY pleased with the way the came out. Very good work.

We wound up not using anyone in South Africa. Once we got over there, the wife decided to have everything but the zebra and the warthog done as shoulder mounts. I figured the extra freight on them would negate any savings on having the work done over there. Also Trophy Pro SA had quit using Nylstroom and is now using someone I had no information on.

HI
I just found this posting on the web has your Taxidermist received your trophies yet? check this outhttp://dickstaxidermyhuntreport.blogspot.com/p/water-based-dip-is-train-wreck-we-have.html
Hope you don't have any problems.
Tom

Well I have had my trophies back for a little over a year from Nylstroom Taxidermy. I never got any comments from Paul a year ago when I wanted some kind of help with what to do with these ears that were as flat as a plate on the front. The Kudu has been on the wall for all this time and I was looking at it yesterday and saw a problem with the back of the ear that close to the wall since it is looking the wrong way. I saw a place about the size of a dime that looks like it is pealing off so it isn't hide.
If you could look at this picture and tell me what you think is happening I would appreciate it.
Tom
image.jpg

Someone will say poor caping, I will say cape care....tanning (whatever you want to call it(n)). Anyway they used some handy dandy putty to "fix" it up.:cry: Standard taxidermy protocol in Africa.

Thanks Enysse
Is it fixable or is it just going to keep flicking off? Is that whole smooth section the same thing?
Tom

That's what it looks like to me. You should see the blue wildebeest they messed up on me, it's A LOT WORSE. You will see no apology or refund....TIA. Since, it's on the back of the ear you should be ok. It gets pretty pricy to fix so you will not notice it much since it's on the backside. I would just try to tell yourself to let go.......and try to forget....otherwise you are out more money than it's worth. I just used putty and paint to fix mine....and yes I have not forgotten about it. American prices for 3rd world technology.

People that know nothing about Africa hunting will tell you it's not a big deal. Trust me it's a BIG DEAL....complete BS that this happens.

I have used Capricorn two times with a total of 15 mounts. I've been pleased with all of them. Capricorn is run by Mike Smith out of Polokwane RSA. When someone will not respond to emails in this day and age it's a sign! :mad:

Just my two cents - all the more reason to have your taxidermy done in the US. I understand your frustration and wish you the best in this situation.

dt

There has been a ton of chatter on this web site about taxidermy in SA. I strongly urge you look at Relive taxidermy in Port Elizabeth. Visit their Face Book page and then find the thread here about this. You may find it helpful. I plan on using Relive next August when I m in Namibia.

Thanks Johny but with this mess I have decided to have any work done here in the states for future trophies. I just wanted ideas on what I could do for the one that Nylstroom Taxidermy messed up.
Tom

Thanks Johny but with this mess I have decided to have any work done here in the states for future trophies. I just wanted ideas on what I could do for the one that Nylstroom Taxidermy messed up.
Tom
I can understand that. I will be in Namibia next August on a leopard hunt and I will shoot a few plains game also. My cat is coming back here for sure. But I will leave several other trophies in the hands of Relive. I have personally spoken to several folks who were very satisfied with there work. They are certainly very competitive at least for now with the prices.

I agree withe prices, but as I have matured I fully believe you get what you pay for the most part. I am willing to pay more to invest in my memories whether it is a PH, outfitter, or taxidermist. Merry Christmas.

dt

Sorry some one was talking about this taxidermist and wanted to bring this thread back to life. There are a couple more but they don't come up with the name of the taxidermist.
Tom
The head is still on my wall and I thought it didn't bother me any more but when I saw the name of the company that made it the hair on my neck stood up:(

I can see this is an old post and I would just like to add I took all my trophies back home from Namibia to my guy in Pennsylvania. Wes Goode of kanati Taxidermy. He has done several mounts for me including my NZ trophies. All my trophies from Namibia are now home and are outstanding. I had Paul from relieve do two mounts for me last year when I visited SA on a short Vacation and " mini hunt with my wife. My Nyala came back with the back of the neck where the stitching is un finished. Completely unacceptable. I for one will pass on taxidermy done in Africa in the future. I ll be back this August for buffalo and PG. Everything will be coming here for taxidermy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kurpfalzjäger

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber