Any women bow hunters out there?!?

Packsy

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA
Hallo,
Just checking to see if there are any women bow hunters here.
I would like to find out what kind of equipment you are using? What is your draw weight? Where do you/have you hunted? What kind of game have you shot with the bow?
Looking forward to hearing from some of my fellow female hunters. :happywave:

Sure are, Packsy.

Have hunted with an Elite Synergy Xtreme, 54lbs, 28.75", next time with an Elite Aigil at roundabout 65 lbs (as much as the limbs allow)
Have hunted South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Impalas, Warthogs, Blue Wildebeest, all clean shoot-through's.
On my wishlist for next time are: Oryx, Kudu, Zebra, Eland... as well as bushbuck or other smaller species. (It's the experience that counts, not the amount of meat or trophy size)

To water your mouth just a bit more :), just read our hunting report of 2010: http://www.africahunting.com/south-africa-hunting-reports/3271-dare-bowhunt-pongola-diary.html

Very nice animals and great "diary" of your hunt.
I am currently shooting a Bear Young Guns at 24.5" draw and 39 pounds. We are going to SA in August 2014 and my the first animal on my wish list is an Oryx. I will be working over the 2 years to get my bow up to 45 pounds, and my husband is working on getting my arrow weight up.
Good thing we have time before we go :)

Well...

I don't want to spoil your enthusiasm or anticipation, but... honestly... I think that 45lbs at such a short draw length are at least... critical for hunting an Oryx.
How heavy do your arrows have to be to gain enough momentum to pass through (as optimum) such a quite big animal with not-so-thin skin?
You would have to get REAL close to your target; the lethal zone, which in your case will be even smaller, must be hit extremely accurate. And if not?

Perhaps you should first consider somewhat smaller and more delicate game like Impala, just to see how your setup works there, before considering bigger species.

And I assure you, the anticipation of the hunt will be the same, but with more calculable result and less pain for the animal (and the trackers).

See, I'm not an expert with 20+ years of experience, but I am always careful with things like these.

Packsy, Not a woman.... but have good expereince on hunting with female hunters...., I reckon you'll be good.

In 2008 I hunted with Charmainne Nugent both her and Angy Ross were guided by myself Charmainne was launching at 42lbs same draw length and killed all her trophies with single arrows over a period of 2 years, these included. Zebra, Wildebeest, Oryx, impala, Blesbuck and even Eland Waterbuck and Kudu, its about shot placement.

For one I have learned that female shots tend to be more accurate than most men, I think it has something to do with less ego and more attention to detail...dont know??

Angie Ross had (maximum archery, Ross Archery) had a very similar set up and so does my wife. I do not foresee any major issues as far as penetration goes, point is if you punch the lungs it's gonna go down no major resistance there.

I believe you'll be fine.

My very best always

I think it has something to do with less ego and more attention to detail...dont know??

Well, Jaco, you might be right here, I tend to be veeerrry dainty about such things, as you can see :)

But, your proof is better than my estimation, so, Packsy, here's the expert advice I was hoping for!

Thanks so much, Jaco!!
I have often wondered what some of the women on tv shoot. They are so tiny and I couldn't see them shooting a heavy weight bow. That makes me feel much better.
Don't worry, I will be practicing a lot over the next 2 years to make my shot placement as accurate as possible. I will also be studying the shot placement photos and watching videos of shot placement.

Thank you Jaco - good points. I recently talked to an elk outfitter from Idaho. He said his client list included a 12 year old girl shooting 38lbs 23" draw length and a 325 grain arrow.. She ended up shooting the biggest bull of the year with a complete pass-threw. I also talked to an outfitter from Africa that has a young gal shoot a 2000lb eland with a 43 lb bow with a 25" draw. My advice I give Packsy is to shoot the heaviest bow you can shoot comfortably. If a person shoots more bow than one can handle, accuracy will suffer. The amount of energy transfer by today's modern bows is outstanding. Stay calm and do not attempt to shoot at ranges beyond your abilities. Accuracy is the real key.

Packsy,

As the old saying goes, "Patience is a virtue."

Obviously, a heavier bow is going to drive deeper arrows. With that said, many of us appreciation your willingness to work for a higher draw weight, and it sounds like you're working on accuracy as well. Very cool!

However, the question at hand is, "How deep is deep enough?" When you finish hunting, we'll all know providing you share. I can tell you this, be patient. Only shoot when you feel 100% confident you can drive an arrow into the vitals. You are among abled archers (post above is proof)...listen....do your part professionally (as if you were receiving pay and mistakes are unacceptable). No one can ask any more of you.

Have fun!

Did you ever get to Africa? We went in Aug 2012 and I shot a waterbok and Impala and put them both down within 75 yds. The waterbok was a 27 yd shot and the impala was only about 15 yards. I shoot a Mathews Helim at 46 lbs and use Axis arrows with Stinger or Slick Trick Razors for broadheads. We are heading back this August again. I am using the same set up except for the new Fred Eichler traditional Axis, they shoot awesome in the wind. Last fall I took a pronghorn at 35 yards in the wind and an elk at 20 yards in 35 mph wind. Both dropped within 50 yards. It is all about shot placement with the bow. And another tip, for string jumping animals, try to have their head in food or water pointing away from you.

Hallo,
Just checking to see if there are any women bow hunters here.
I would like to find out what kind of equipment you are using? What is your draw weight? Where do you/have you hunted? What kind of game have you shot with the bow?
Looking forward to hearing from some of my fellow female hunters. :happywave:

Hi all, relatively new to this particular forum, saw the thread title and was dismayed at the distinct lack of female bowhunter responses. :(

I shoot Elite bows, I own the Hunter in snow camo for late season, the Pulse for regular bowhunting and the Z-28 for bowfishing. I shoot Easton arrows and various brands of broadheads.
I pull 48#, I've hunted all over the midwest as I'm primarily a whitetail hunter, I've taken both whitetail deer and turkey with my bow and this fall I'll be trying my hand at mule deer in South Dakota. I hunt alone (my husband is a non-hunter) and I thoroughly enjoy tromping around by myself around Wisconsin, a week in South Dakota by myself chasing mulies will be a challenge, hunting in Africa by myself is still a little daunting!

I've always been intrigued by hunting Africa as many people are - I've done several interviews on my hunting podcast/radio show over the years with several African outfitters, maybe someday but probably not too soon as I still have several North and South American critters to kill first.

But I very much enjoy leaning about hunting there and hope that someday I will get there!
:)

Hi all, relatively new to this particular forum, saw the thread title and was dismayed at the distinct lack of female bowhunter responses. :(

I shoot Elite bows, I own the Hunter in snow camo for late season, the Pulse for regular bowhunting and the Z-28 for bowfishing. I shoot Easton arrows and various brands of broadheads.
I pull 48#, I've hunted all over the midwest as I'm primarily a whitetail hunter, I've taken both whitetail deer and turkey with my bow and this fall I'll be trying my hand at mule deer in South Dakota. I hunt alone (my husband is a non-hunter) and I thoroughly enjoy tromping around by myself around Wisconsin, a week in South Dakota by myself chasing mulies will be a challenge, hunting in Africa by myself is still a little daunting!

I've always been intrigued by hunting Africa as many people are - I've done several interviews on my hunting podcast/radio show over the years with several African outfitters, maybe someday but probably not too soon as I still have several North and South American critters to kill first.

But I very much enjoy leaning about hunting there and hope that someday I will get there!
:)
Z 28 for bowfishin? I shoot a Mathews Ignition for fish, going tomorrow for the final time in Wyoming. We are moving to Missouri next Thur for retirement, lots of turkey and whitetail on our property.
If you want to do Africa alone, I would suggest someone like Pieter at PawPrints who would take very good care of you. Make sure the outfitter is caring and reputable. He might be able to work you in with another group.
If you go to Africa with a #48 bow, shoot a good sharp non expandable broadhead like a Muzzy, slick trick, or Magnus stinger. Shot placement is the key in killing African animals, I found a good powerpoint file here on africahunting.com (ShotplacementsDec2012.pps) for vitals and shot placement. The Africa trip made us much better American bowhunters. I put a nice 5x5 elk down last fall with a pass thru and he fell within 25 yards, in our fantastic 35 mph winds here in WY. I switched to the Fred Eichler Axis this year with the 75 grain insert and love them, very accurate with quite a punch. I even shot a squirrel at 25 yards while waiting for my elk on a slow afternoon.
I have shot turkeys with the bow too, but the African Guinneas are much harder to kill. A lot of fun.
I can brag that I hunted elk entirely alone for nearly a week in WY, shot it, skinned it, and hauled it out by myself. I shot my last elk from the very same spot.
You have to do Africa, maybe your husband can go as a non hunter, there are other things to do there. We leave to hunt with PawPrints in 2 weeks and we can't wait to get back there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg