Any reason not to use a 350 grain .375 bullet for buffalo

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Hunt101, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Hunt101

Hunt101 AH Member

Hi, I'm planning a buffalo hunt for next year and I'll be using a .375 double which is currently regulated for 300 grain bullets. I have never shot 350 grain bullets through it but thought about trying them thinking that the larger bullet couldn't hurt. Are there any down sides to using the larger grain bullets if the grouping is acceptable? I suspect the regulation may prove to be an issue and I'm not willing to re-regulate the rifle away from the 300 grain bullets. My plan would be to use a soft point for the first shot followed up by a FMJ. Completely new to hunting buffalo so all advice is welcomed.

2. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    There is no reason not to use 350 grain bullets for buffalo. Like you said, if your double doesn't like them go back to 300 grains.

3. Jaco Strauss

Jaco Strauss AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, IPHA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
    I'm with Enysse, no reason not to try it, it the 350 will bump the energy considerably and at the ranges that shots will be taken the heavier projectile will not cause any issues, I assume you are referring to the 350 North Fork??

I have used the 380 Rhino many times on Buff and they pack a wallop!!!! if it regulates, I don't see any issues whatsoever...

Enjoy!

My best always

4. sestoppelman

sestoppelman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa (2)
    Try them for sure, but just dont sacrifice your regulation or accuracy for them. Many buff have fallen to 300grs. The round was designed for them. You do lose some velocity of course but at buffalo ranges it wont matter. If they regulate and shoot well, shoot them. Assume your double will be iron sighted so get close, as the saying goes, then get 10 yards closer. Good luck.

5. DOC-404

DOC-404 AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Poachers.
    No reason at all not to try them..but why ? A well placed 300 grainer, from a rifle that already shoots well with them, is all you need. Your PH will have the heavy hitter anyway, should there be a problem.

6. Hunt101

Hunt101 AH Member

No Norma makes a couple factory loads out there in 350 grain that I've been looking at. I do fully understand that 300 grains is enough, but I think I'm going to at least try a box and see how my rifle groups.

Thanks