Any info on Newfounldland moose hunting

wahunter

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
Australia New Zealand South Africa Canada
I was wondering if any one could help with any info on who they used or how there trip was to the Newfoundland in Canada hunting moose/black bear trying book something for next year
thanks for any help

Hi wahunter,

I work with an outfitter up in Newfoundland that does a moose bear combo. the 6 day hunt is $5,900 + tax for the hunt. Drop me an email for some additional information.

Went to Newfoundland in 2013 on a moose hunt. Had a bad experience with my guide who informed me on day 1 he was not killing himself getting no moose out. Don't think that guide works for that outfitter now. Moose are small but hunts are cheaper than Alaska by far.

Ask a lot of questions and make sure you are in an area that has a decent number of moose. There are moose there but not necessarily always in the densities for you to see a good number of shootable bulls. Bear is going to be a target of opportunity in the fall, as the outfitters don't specifically set up for bear.

Until the caribou numbers crashed, they used to pitch the Newfie Slam - caribou, moose and bear in a 7- or 10-day hunt. Problem is the booking agents and outfitters rarely bothered to tell the hunters the moose areas and caribou areas were seperated by a couple of hours drive. You needed to kill one first and then move to the other area.

A 40" moose in Newfoundland will be a big moose . . .

Don't listen to the nonsense the locals only take cows and young bulls for meat.

thanks for the info guys

It's been over a decade since I hunted Newfoundland, but as others have mentioned, the moose are "small", success rates where relatively low when I was there (less than 50%), and the locals drive the roads (mainly logging roads) in high-racks similar to Texas and shoot from the road. Maybe things have changed, but I doubt size and success rates have. On the positive side, I had my "small" moose completely processed and vacuum packed for 250 CAD (and the exchange rate was very favorable 12 years ago) and flown to Texas for $250. Can't get a hill country whitetail processed in Texas for that now!

Definitely lots of Moose and yes, a 40 would be a good one and a 50 amazing but not unheard of. Your best bet is to go around the first week of October when the calling is working best. Make sure you go into a fly in camp where the remoteness keeps the hunter pressure low. Anything near any roads is a bad idea as the locals work them hard. As Backdog noted, the Bear is a target of opportunity but buy a tag as you might just get lucky and spot one working berries.

It's been over a decade since I hunted Newfoundland, but as others have mentioned, the moose are "small", success rates where relatively low when I was there (less than 50%), and the locals drive the roads (mainly logging roads) in high-racks similar to Texas and shoot from the road. Maybe things have changed, but I doubt size and success rates have. On the positive side, I had my "small" moose completely processed and vacuum packed for 250 CAD (and the exchange rate was very favorable 12 years ago) and flown to Texas for $250. Can't get a hill country whitetail processed in Texas for that now!

I'm in the wrong profession, I would gladly cut up deer and vacuum seal it for $250 a deer.

Anyone have experience with Ray's Hunting and Fishing Lodge in Newfoundland?
http://huntnewfoundlandmoose.com/

The guy installing our radiant in floor is a Newfie. He said the largest population and biggest animals are on the North Western peninsula. There is an airport reasonably close, Deer Lake Hope it helps

The guy installing our radiant in floor is a Newfie. He said the largest population and biggest animals are on the North Western peninsula. There is an airport reasonably close, Deer Lake Hope it helps

I've heard Deer Lake was the place to go in Newfie. Thanks.

Greetings Wahunter,
If you're interested in a trophy moose hunt, contact Shane Mollon with The Next Ridge Outfitters (Corner Brook, Newfoundland). Shane and his partner have a remote concession that is accessed via helicopter. During my 2013 and 2014 moose hunts, we encountered several moose over 50" and glassed a few > 400 lb. black bear. Expect to do a lot of walking and glassing! Good luck! Cheers, Glenn

I went in 2012 and flew out of deer lake..it was a great hunt as we called them in the rut. We got "big "moose for Newfoundland but was disappointed that there were no bear as they were eating blueberries, the newfies were wonderful and certainly made the trip worthwhile

well I find out for my self heading there in Oct

Greetings Wahunter,
Good luck with your moose hunt! Some folks refer to Newfoundland as "The Swamp". Other folks refer to Newfoundland as "The Big Rock". Actually, I refer to it as a swamp setting on a big rock! If you booked a moose hunt in one of the remote, road-less areas, please be advised that it is wise to begin a cardiovascular exercise program several months before your hunt. The bogs, dwarf trees, stream crossings, high hills, and inclement weather (i.e. - wind, rain, snow, fog, sleet, etc.) can be a little intimidating at times. Oh, and don't forget to pack your rain gear and knee high rubber boots. Cheers and good luck!

Last edited:
I've hunted NL 4 times in the last 5 years. Lots of moose. I would encourage you to look at Red Indian Lake Lodge. He has access to some hard to reach places accessible only by ARGO. I've seeen some large moose in his area. You get what you pay for in NL. There is a lot of "road hunting" by truck on logging roads. Not my cup of tea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg