Any Experience with the .338 Lapua

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Macs B, May 13, 2009.

1. Macs B

Macs B AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Back in the days before electricity I was a soldier, and the .338 Lapua was making a name for itself as a fantastic precision long range round.

I've owned a couple of heavy rifles (precision rifles not heavy hunting rifles) in the .338 Lapua caliber and am amazed at the ballistics and down range effects. Has anyone picked up on this caliber for a great plains game and/or general purpose African rifle? I know that it won’t make the .375 dangerous game cut off but the ballistics of this round rival the 375 HH in most cases. Just curious if anyone has used one or guided a hunter who did. What was the effect on those tough African beasties?

WH Macs

2. fhm3006

fhm3006 AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Namibia / South-Africa
    Truvelo 338 Lapua

Hunting greetings.

I am a 'green' subscriber here - please accept my apologies if i do not post this in a normal (?) manner. Will get better.
    I am in the infant stages now of trying to get one of these missile launchers on my name.
    I have found out from Truvelo in RSA that the Truvelo 338 800 Lapua SR may be sold to the gen public.
    I also have found a dealer in Windhoek (NA) that will assist me with the importation of this 'canon' into Namibia.

If anyone of you can assist me with information, where i can find a picture where the 338 and other cartridges (270/30-06/375, etc.) are on the same picture and actually compared to each other in size, i will be ever so grateful.

Kind Regards

fhm3006 :D