Contributor
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.africanindaba.co.za
Media
Articles
Member of
CIC, Rowland Ward, B&C, DSC, German Hunting Association, KZN Hunting Association, Wild Sheep Foundation
Hunted
Western US, Western Canada, Alaska, Colombia, Tajikistan, Russian Federation, China, Iran, Austria, Germany, Spain, Czech Republic, UK, Indonesia, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Congo, Tanzania, Uganda, Botswana, Namibia
Two incidents in March highlight the value of trained, motivated staff. In the first incident, Lovison, Enock and and Majele, three dedicated and brave rangers from Robins Camp, who heard shots fired near to where they were on patrol on 5th March. They followed up, found an elephant bull with the ivory removed and then tracked the poaching gang, catching up with them in thick bush, and initiating a contact at close range. They wounded and captured one poacher, and saw blood spoor from others before the gang crossed the nearby border into Botswana. Information from the wounded poacher indicated a group of twelve had crossed over from Zambia into the Zambezi NP, and had walked to Robins (6 days). The first and only elephant they had shot on this trip and the bull’s tusks weighed 88lbs and 62 lbs. News has since filtered back that 8 of the gang have made it back to Zambia – according to sources, they buried one fellow in the Park, another died and the “boss” with the heavy rifle ran off badly injured and has not been seen since!

Vol12_5_I_art8.jpg

On the 21st March, three Forestry rangers in the Panda Masuie Forest (Zambezi National Park) picked up the tracks of a gang of Zambian elephant poachers. At the park boundary they were joined by three scouts from the Zambezi Camp, led by Senior Ranger Simon Muchibaya. The following day, the team caught up with the Zambians and opened up on an armed poacher they spotted. In the ensuing melee, the main poacher was killed and his weapon recovered, while a porter was wounded and captured, and the rest of the gang fled, leaving everything behind. The deceased poacher was a gang kingpin with a long history of poaching elephant. A total of 37 tusks were recovered with a total weight of 692kg (average of 18,7kg or 41lbs per tusk). The Zambians are only targeting the bulls with larger tusks. A great effort by Senior Ranger S. Muchibaya, Rangers B. Mpunzi, and E. Sibanda, and Forestry Rangers F. Mutsvangwa, F. Chiremba, and M. Mutshongwe.

Author: Trevor Lane (the original article was adapted by Gerhard Damm for African Indaba)

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent. I love happy endings. I salute SR Simon and his brave men.

"Hats off" to the anti poaching teams involved! Great job!

Thanks for sharing. Great reminder that the war on poaching is truly a war. That's easy for me to forget....

Excellent! and many thanks to these brave men. I pray for their continued safety and may they never run low on ammo!

Great news, these brave men deserve a lot of support.

Maybe the poachers will figure the price is too high, but sadly there are others always willing to fill the void.

patrol took the lead and did a great job...

good work by the rangers.
thats quite a trek to get at the big bulls.
wish they would enforce the "shoot on sight" in the NP's here like it used to be

good work by the rangers.
thats quite a trek to get at the big bulls.
wish they would enforce the "shoot on sight" in the NP's here like it used to be

Every PH and game scout I talked to in my camp wished the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you