Another Safari virgin checking in..........

breatheandsqueeze

AH member
Reaction score
My uncle/best friend purchased a safari at a fundraiser and knowing that it was on my bucket list he asked me to go!!!! This will truly be a once in a lifetime trip and something that I never dreamed would happen unless I won the lottery.
He will go as a observer and photographer but has no interest in hunting. We are going on a plains game hunt with Numzaan and my head is about to explode with the sheer amount of research and do's and don'ts. I haven't spoken with them yet to pick a date and set up the details etc. I have hundreds of questions and cant wait to start checking off items on the list. I have been spending a LOT of time reading posts and questions asked on the forums. I look forward to driving all of you professionals crazy with thoughts and ideas. Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding.
Regards,
John

Welcome to AH! Lots of knowledge and experience to draw from here. Exciting times for you also with the first safari. When are you thinking of going on the hunt?

Welcome!

This is a great place to learn and ask questions. Very friendly.

Best time is when you're there, and May-July would do just fine.

Yeah May-July is pretty good.

Any animals in the package or do you choose all your own? What are you interested in pursuing?

Good for you! And welcome aboard.

Welcome to the forum, Africa is way over rated and I am willing to go in your place! Lol. Enjoy the site!
Cheers,
Cody

Welcome to AH sir! All of us had a first trip with lots of questions. Many on this forum, myself included, see it as a pleasure to help others understand the ropes so to speak. So ask away. If you feel the need start a private conversation with anyone, just touch the In box in the upper right corner and type In the name of the member you want to ask a question. Then fill in the question and hit send......

Welcome to AH.

Reedy,
Im thinking

Gemsbok
Impala
Waterbuck
Kudu
And still trying to pick what else...........so many choices

I will be taking my personal firearms and permits have been prepaid. Probably a 30-06 and a 300 win mag.
I would like to do a mixture of European and traditional shoulder mounts. Is it possible to have a US or African taxidermist give me a quote for the entire package and prepay it to avoid issues? It would be nice to do a one stop shop for everything. Planning on hunting for 7-10 days and being gone for 2 weeks. Is that enough time? Could you take a day off and go fishing? It would be a great memory to share about the big one that got away while on safari.

thanks all

A taxidermist can give you a quote. Planning time in Africa....try to hunt as much as you can, 2 weeks is usually enough. I would try to go fishing for a day.

Welcome to AH!

Plan on another trip to Africa, because one trip is never enough.

Yes taxidermists will give you a full quote in advance, 10 days would be good for hunting and 2 weeks total is about right since 2 -3 of those days are travel days going and coming. Certainly do a day of fishing if you are close to a river or the ocean! That's a nice list of animals there, there are lots of choices, and those choices may change some before you get there and once your there. Mostly you will want to ad more once your there and you see all the game!! It will be fun

Welcome to AH John! You've join a great community and the site is a powerful tool for your research for sure….

Hi John, welcome to AH !

There is nothing like Planning and going on your first trip to Africa,I believe there is a Safari planning guide on this site and a list of equipment and clothing you'll need,
Lori at @Travel Express should be on your contact list, She knows the ins and out of Africa travel and is up to date on any changes in Documents and Permits, good luck with your trip and feel free to ask any questions AH is here to help, and I think May is fine I believe it's Rut season

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard! Don't worry, I'm new here myself and can vouch that the folks on this forum can take a TON of questions and still come back to make sure you understand what they said, it's just great for us newbies! Side note: You said you didn't think you would go unless you won the lottery, with an uncle/best friend like that I'd say you won man!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.