AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Which one of these Kudu trophies is bigger?

Kudu 1
watermark.php

Kudu 2
watermark.php

I've posted the answer below...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not very easy as there is no side on photo but I would say kudu no.1 even if he is not fully matured like kudu no.2

I'm going to say 2.

Kudu 1 has the longest horn(s), though not mature, and would probaly be lighter in body weight if it was not that no. 2 were shot in the dry season.

Bull number one I believe...... using the head length and ear spread in comparison with the horn length and depth of curl.

HMMMMMMMMM, I don't know which is larger I would prefer bull #2 for looks a lone ! I know to the inch what # 2 measures as we mounted the head.
Ive been lurking around here for a couple weeks but this is my first post.
My family is headed to Namibia a year from now. :)

You know the answer... i just know which one i would take - the first one sighted first and the second one sighted, second : ) From the measurement tell-tales, i would not be surprised if they measure identically. One is thinner with compressed curls and the other is thicker with stretched curls (refer to 'cause of accidents' post). Cheers,

In my opinion kudu number one has the longest horns as the curls in the horns are deeper . The two kudus has allmost the same amount of curls in the horns therefor the one with the deeper curls will be longer .

My first impression was #1 has longer horns. I have never seen one in person and dont know what i am talking about though.
I do know given the chance to look them both over, i would shoot #2.

49 days!!!!!!!!!

.. I would think they both are pretty close to the same!! I would think # 2 is mature & has a small edge in the score department!!

I think it will be really close for the two. #1 does look to have a deeper curl, but the inward turn of the tips on #2 almost negates the difference in curl.

Granted, wouldn't matter, I'd shoot either one of them. :D

I'm going with Kudu #2 for the tighter curls. Yes Kudu #1 may appear to have taller horns/ That said. neither would be passe in my scope and don't worry about the tape measure...it is the memory that matters.

My first impression say No 2, but I would be happy with any of them.

info

Number one is bigger. They both are old bulls the white tips on number two doesn't mean its older than number one , thats just an old wive's tale.... Cant see white tips on number one all because it has a different coloration probably due to the area or its gene line.

After just shooting two nice kudu in Africa. I will say #2. The first one looks like the one took in the East Cape. The second one looks like the one I took in the Limpopo. Those curls will probably add a extra inch or two.

Shallom, haha, you let the cat out of the bag... The answer is that these 2 Kudus are identical in length and Kudu 2 measures an imperceptible 1/4 of an inch larger in the base than Kudu 1.

I picked them because these 2 Kudus are essentially identical in size however the shape of the horns are completely different which shows you how difficult it is to judge Kudus in the field, especially since you probably won't get to have a chance to look at them like you can here with these pictures.

Kudu 1
left horn 51 1/2 inches (131 cm)
left base 10 3/4 inches (27.5 cm)

Kudu 2
left horn 51 1/2 inches (131 cm)
left base 11 inches (28 cm)

NOTE:

Kudu 1
watermark.php

Like many of you pointed out Kudu 1 (above) is not fully mature but still is a nice trophy. Though remember that the shape of the horn do not always dictate the maturity of a Kudu bull and here is a good example to show you just that. Kudu 1 (above) is very similar in shape to another Kudu I have posted below however this Kudu 3 (below) is fully matured and measures an impressive left horn 59 3/4 inch (151.77 cm). Also the horns after the second spiral of both Kudu 1 (above) and Kudu 3 (below) will never come to a point.

Kudu 3
watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerome, very good quiz. That's definitely why I listen to my guides when hunting something I'm not familiar with. :D

Oh, and where's the "horn stretcher" when you need it to get the 59 3/4" horn up to 60":rofl::rofl:

Enjoyed this Jerome... just shows us all that nobody really KNOWS it all. We are all constantly learning through experience from mother nature. Important to understand and accept the fundamentals though and you are doing a great job is exposing us all to new angles and spectrums in the industry. Ahsante,

p.s. love the third kudu and the style of photo - the red makes-up for the lack of sunset colors :)

Can't really say I'm that suprised. I thought they were pretty close. In either case they would both would get shot at if someone was hunting for Kudu. The 3rd kudu is a no doubter! Massive, nice curls, and good length.

Nice post Jerome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross