Another item for the field first aid kit -Super Glue!

brushmore

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
The other day I was attempting to disassemble a bolt on my rifle and was in a rush. Long story short is that I gouged my finger (twice!) with a screw driver because I was being stupid. I was bleeding though my cheap band-aids so I remembered hearing about using super glue as a bandage so I gave that a try. It worked great! Bleeding stopped immediately and after the glue dried (very important step if you don't want to be stuck to anything!) I was able to continue on and put the bolt together. All the glue wore off after the next day.

So for now I think I'll put a small tube of super glue in my field first aid kit. It seemed to work well in a pinch on minor cuts and would be good for fixing other gear too.

I like it Brushmore! When I had surgery three years ago I didn't have stitches or staples.....the doctor used glue!

always take a tube or 2 of super glue...

I have a friend that had a broken vertebrae in her back. Doctors "glued" the crack together with the medical version of super glue and she walked out of the hospital that evening. Amazing...

Always keep it in my little emergency kit. Way too many uses not to. If i ever have to use it I replace it though. Don't want a dried up tube of gunk when I really need it!

Always keep it in my little emergency kit. Way too many uses not to. If i ever have to use it I replace it though. Don't want a dried up tube of gunk when I really need it!

The other problem with having it in the kit is if the tube gets punctured and leaks it can make a horrible mess...

Somebody told me they have a form of tissue glue at Pharmacies, not sure if it's true

The other problem with having it in the kit is if the tube gets punctured and leaks it can make a horrible mess...

Well, at least nothing would fall out of the kit if that happened! ;)

superglue is the best bandaids , money can buy

superglue is the best bandaids , money can buy

Wonder how many times a cut has Been glued shut on your boat!!!!

lots, mate,lots

GetAttachment.jpg

this is the best one ive used the superglue on
for four days I kept glueing it up , as long as I didn't open my hand flat it worked ok
had to tape a bag over my hand ,to sleep shower and eat ,that was wearing thin by the time we got back to port.
the doctors weren't impressed with the fact that I endured it for four days . apparently health care workers don't think it shows endeavour , punching through injuries and getting the job done

luckily it was only my right hand
once the doctor , put it back together , with a few stitches and what not
he said that if brains were made of shit ,inside my head there wouldn't be enough to stink , ha h ah ah aha
ive never forgotten that

another time my youngest son (about 3) at the time was pushing his tonka truck up the driveway ,and ran smack bang into the tow bar on the back of my ute
so I super glued the split closed and in ten minutes he had forgotton aboutit . until his mum came home , and hit the bloody roof when we showed what we did .
she took him to the doctors , and the nurse that's all we would've done ,
then it was okay to glue the kids up ,from then on out .

Also don't forget the acetone to remove it if it should get onto something that shouldn't be glued together.

A little acetone on the tip of a q-tip should do the trick.

For those that are wondering acetone is the primary ingredient in finger nail polish remover.

in an unventilated area the fumes of acetone are high combustable, is worth remembering when playing with this stuff

I should point out that super glue was invented during the Vietnam war in order for quick 'patching' up of GI's before they got treated properly. I always have some in my field med kit and have glued together some rather bad cuts on myself and others.

I should point out that super glue was invented during the Vietnam war in order for quick 'patching' up of GI's before they got treated properly. I always have some in my field med kit and have glued together some rather bad cuts on myself and others.

You learn something new every day. Cyanoacetate glue (super glue) by any brand or advertised use is the same, medical grade??? I think not. Always some in my emergency kit along with other deep backwoods gems like blood stop powder (also a disclaimer on the bottle "not for human use"). If faced with a gushing wound hours or days from the truck let alone hospital that label will be disregarded quite quickly.

in an unventilated area the fumes of acetone are high combustable, is worth remembering when playing with this stuff

I would just pack some finger nail polish remover along with the q-tips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you