Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zambia
I am checking airfares for my trip in July/August 2106. While its takes a lot longer on BA, it is a lot cheaper then Delta, by $2644 per person for business. While BA E+ is a $1000 more per person, then Delta's (That an Apple to Oranges comparison for E+). Yes there a 50 pounds charge each way for the gun, at least business class its still a better deal. I have read the forums and its appears to be a mixed bag about traveling thru LHR with a Gun(s) and Ammo. Does anyone have first hand experience with this and not what I heard experience. The BA route is AUS to LHR to JNB and return. I am assuming all flight will leave T5.

No problems with rifles at Heathrow as long as you`re just connecting flights and not leaving the airport.

inform BA that you are travelling with how many sporting firearms and their make, cal, and type ie bolt action prior to travel (min 72hrs i think) arrive at check in at austin and collect in joburg. simples. you will arrive and dept through T5. miami flights for some reason have just been transferred to T3. this has been covered quite a few times on AH in various threads. at the moment probably one of the easiest routes to travel with firearms if using BA all the way through.

No problems with rifles at Heathrow as long as you`re just connecting flights and not leaving the airport.

Was hoping to leave the the Airport, can't stay in a lounge all day, they would never left me board the next flight.

I have transitted LHR about five times with firearms. As long as the guns are checked through to Africa, and they do not have to change airports (changing terminals is not an issue), you will have no problems or issues. In fact, it's a non-issue. No permits, no conversations, just ignore it. Couldn't be easier. And that's my experience as recently as this summer, flying Air Canada to LHR and then switching to SAA to JHB.

I don't know if BA will give you problems - I have never flown them. But the problems, if any, will be of the airline's making, not the airport or the government.

I can tell you that if you check the guns to anywhere in Zimbabwe, they will be seized in London, and every other airport in the EEC, unless the UN embargo on arms to Zim has been lifted while I wasn't looking. There is a solution to this problem, if you need it.

The thing is you don't want to claim your checked baggage and then leave the airport, as long as everything is still checked through and in the hands of the airlines you should be OK.

In May/June this year I did the Phoenix - London - Jo'burg route. As mentioned you will need to inform BA of your intention to fly with firearms sometime before your flight, I'm think it's 3 days or so. Pretty easy really. At Phoenix Sky Harbor there was a bit more of a process to get the rifles on board, but nothing to get in a twist about, just make sure you show up plenty early.

Arrived Terminal 5 in LHR and found I had to essentially repeat the process of going through security. Whether or not I was traveling with firearms is irrelevant, I would have had to do this anyway. But it is one more added hassle in comparison to flying directly to Jo'burg from Atlanta on Delta. Not too big of a deal, though when going back home I was selected to have my carryon bags dumped by security. I have no idea why, they just did.

Life in Terminal 5 is about as good as life in an airport can get I guess. Plenty of restaurants and plenty of shopping. But how 5 hours +/- was as much as I can handle. But that's also less time than what you'd need to leave the airport, get into London proper, do some tourist things and then get back to the airport and go through security. If you don't have a bit more time than that, you'd better stay at the airport.

While in London, not word about my firearms. Everything was handled without any fuss other than what I went through in Phoenix. I kept my paperwork through my trip and provided the copies given me when I checked in to go home. A bit of the same hassle in Jo'burg. The lady I checked in with was less familar with the BA way of doing things slowed me up a bit. But she didn't cause me any problems, it just was slower than it needed to be.

Would I do it again? If I was saving a bunch of money on air fares, yes. But if it was roughly even, no. Nothing against BA's process of transporting firearms or any other issues, I just wouldn't want the layover in London again if I could avoid it.

Forgot to mention: leaving the airport`with your firearm`` If you`re checked straight through to destination you`re free to do whatever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you