8x68

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
OFAH
Hunted
Canada, USA
Looking for suggestions as to what scope to put on a 404 Jeffery I'm having built. It is being built on a stainless Winchester Model 70 donor barreled action in 375H&H. I was thinking about something along the lines of a 1-4x20 with German #4 post reticle, or a red dot holographic sight of some kind.
Thx
Julian

Welcome to AH Julian.

DOC's fave and he might be able to give you a suggestion.

Look forward to pictures of the build when it's done.

Welcome to AH

hi julian welcome to AH. when do you hope it will be finished? got a nikon african monarch 1-4x20 on mine as thats what it was fitted with , but havent seen the rifle yet as its in transit and never used a nikon before ..............

Welcome to AH Julian!

welcome to AH , Julian
enjoy the site

hi julian welcome to AH. when do you hope it will be finished? got a nikon african monarch 1-4x20 on mine as thats what it was fitted with , but havent seen the rifle yet as its in transit and never used a nikon before ..............

I really like Nikon scopes especially the Monarch 3's of which I have several. I like the fact that Nikon makes it's own glass for the optics and you're not guessing where it was made. I also have a couple of Zeiss HD5 scopes and there is very little difference in optic quality between the two. Both the Nikon and Zeiss are crystal clear. I'm trying to get a Nikon African but as far as I am aware they don't make the African anymore but Nikon US does offer the 1-4x20 w/German #4 or heavy duplex.
rifle is "supposed" to be finished early summer, but the gunsmith I sent it to is quite busy so I'll have to wait my turn I guess. I'm in no hurry to get it. Gives me time to "play" with my 9.3.

Welcome to AH.

There are a lot of good scopes out there. Get what you like the best. The only thing I would recommend is to consider an illuminated reticle. In low light conditions, they can make the difference.

All the best.

Welcome!

A nice 1x4 should work just fine. Plenty of flavors to chose from.

hope you have been here then http://www.africahunting.com/threads/who-owns-and-uses-these-calibres.21278/ :)

nice to know that about the nikon scope

Yes I had indicated I had a 9.3x62. It's my friends fault (known him for 30+ years, and we hunt whitetail together in Ontario). He asked me if I had anything in between my 8x68 and 375H&H. I said I didn't. He told me I needed a 9.3x62....so I went and bought one. He then asked me if I had anything in between my 416 and 450 and I replied I didn't. He said I needed a 404 Jeffery...so I'm having one made. He asked me if I had a 300 Weatherby... I told him to &%@!# off. Yes....I now have a 300 Weatherby. My friend costs me a lot of money!!!!! LOL

Welcome!

A nice 1x4 should work just fine. Plenty of flavors to chose from.

That's what was thinking. I like the Nikon Monarch 3 1-4x20 w/German #4 reticle. Hawke has a Endurance 30 1-4x24
w/L4A Dot Reticle, but they're relatively new so not much info on the review side.
The Leupold tech I was talking to in Oregon suggested either a VX-3 1.5-5x20mm, Illuminated or Non-Illuminated, or
FX-II Ultralight 2.5X20mm

Welcome to AH Julian! Enjoy the site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!