Animal Advice Needed

ltsheets

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
So I was just told by my PH that if I hunt Nyala (SA) to expect 24-25" bulls. This to me seems small from what little I've researched about respectable Nyala bulls. Does anyone have any pics of an Nyala in this size range?

If I decide to choose another animal to hunt instead, I'm considering bushbuck to stick with the spiral horned theme or maybe Waterbuck. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Depends on the area of course, with 27 inch being RW minimum.

I personally like to pick a couple of focus animals that are both endemic to an area and above average in quality, and then let the rest just happen. It doesn't sound like this is the case for Nyala where you are going. Again though, just how I do it. There is no right or wrong.

I'd make the same comments on BB and WW. For me, they'd both probably be "add-ons" and not "focus" animals, although I am always looking for a good BB.

Both Nyala and Bushbuck will be on neighboring consessions to the property I'll spend most of my time on so I have to take a day trip for either. I have an affinity for the spiral horns and the focus of this trip is definitely a good east cape Kudu. If 24-25" is a good representative of what an Nyala bull can be, then I'll stick with that most likely.

There were a lot of pics on that Nyala pic thread but I still can't tell which ones fall around 24-25" to get an idea of what to expect before I commit to one.

I think your decision is really one of whether you are hunting or collecting trophies. I mean no disrespect whatsoever, and apologise in advance if my wording is off anywhere in this reply. If you asked me what kind of whitetail you could expect in Saskatchewan, I'd say 160s, but many shoot 180s, some 190s, and as you know, we also have the world record. I have only one 180 class buck in 30 odd years of deer hunting, but I am proud of all the bucks, not because of their size, but because of the hunt. Back to nyala: I was in the East Cape this May for nyala. The PH had shown me photos of the huge bulls taken in recent years on his property, so I decided to give it a go. I hunted my ass off. I have never hunted so hard in my life, as the terrain was very difficult and the bulls did not cooperate. Finally, after eight days, I got my bull, and I am more proud and satisfied with him than any other trophy I possess, whether North American or African. He is not a huge bull, maybe 26", but beautifully shaped and the result of honest hard work by my PH, tracker, and me. When I factor in the fantastic time I had with a great PH and his lovely family, I wouldn't trade my animal for any other. So, don't be put off by an animal of "only" a certain range. Bushbuck and Waterbuck are terrific animals, by the way.

Agree on hunting endemic animals. Bushbuck are challenging! A great animal to hunt and then you'll needone of each variety;)

Waterbuck are great as well but the spiral horn theme is great. If you really want to drive yourself nuts, go for the tiny 10;)

I recommend starting with blue duiker.. Royal will be awaiting your hunt report:)

I think your decision is really one of whether you are hunting or collecting trophies. I mean no disrespect whatsoever, and apologise in advance if my wording is off anywhere in this reply. If you asked me what kind of whitetail you could expect in Saskatchewan, I'd say 160s, but many shoot 180s, some 190s, and as you know, we also have the world record. I have only one 180 class buck in 30 odd years of deer hunting, but I am proud of all the bucks, not because of their size, but because of the hunt. Back to nyala: I was in the East Cape this May for nyala. The PH had shown me photos of the huge bulls taken in recent years on his property, so I decided to give it a go. I hunted my ass off. I have never hunted so hard in my life, as the terrain was very difficult and the bulls did not cooperate. Finally, after eight days, I got my bull, and I am more proud and satisfied with him than any other trophy I possess, whether North American or African. He is not a huge bull, maybe 26", but beautifully shaped and the result of honest hard work by my PH, tracker, and me. When I factor in the fantastic time I had with a great PH and his lovely family, I wouldn't trade my animal for any other. So, don't be put off by an animal of "only" a certain range. Bushbuck and Waterbuck are terrific animals, by the way.

No offense taken Jeffro. I know exactly what you mean. I'm probably paying more attention to quality of animal on this trip solely because of how much time and money it will take to experience it. I'm just trying to hedge my bets towards more quality animals if I can.

I'm jealous of your Saskatchewan deer btw...always been a dream of mine to hunt whitetail up there ever since I saw the 14pt that weighed 300+ on my uncles wall from up there.

Great post! Nailed it.

I recommend starting with blue duiker.. Royal will be awaiting your hunt report:)

Bob you know how sensitive of a person I am.... :A Wave Sad: LOL

Mine is about 24". The biggest one we saw I couldn't shoot the bigger ones there were breeders at the place I was staying. This is the picture that Dennis took of it. You want the points to pointing out.
image.jpeg

That is a beautiful bull. I'd still be plenty happy with a bull like that.

If you do not have a Waterbuck you really need to get one. They are beautiful mounts and animals. My photo does not do the animal justice. But I would like a Nyala this next time but probably will not do to lack of funds. Also may try for a Bushbuck.

DSC_0197.JPG
Africa trip 680.jpg
Africa trip 685.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@itsheets, hope these pics help you. I am not a trophy collector, but my PH would not let me shoot any animal.

This Nyala is 27,2 inches

800_IMG_1857copiaR.jpg

The Waterbuck is 30,7 inches

Imagen%20008_zpssikapca0.jpg

Attachments

• Imagen 008_zpssikapca0.jpg
    Imagen 008_zpssikapca0.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 800_IMG_1857copiaR.jpg
    800_IMG_1857copiaR.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 131
Both Nyala and Bushbuck will be on neighboring consessions to the property I'll spend most of my time on so I have to take a day trip for either. I have an affinity for the spiral horns and the focus of this trip is definitely a good east cape Kudu. If 24-25" is a good representative of what an Nyala bull can be, then I'll stick with that most likely.

There were a lot of pics on that Nyala pic thread but I still can't tell which ones fall around 24-25" to get an idea of what to expect before I commit to one.

Here you go. If you want to compare inches.

30 inch Nyala.jpg

30 inches

23 inch Nyala.jpg

21 inches

27 inch Nyala.jpg

27 inches

24-25 nyala.jpg

24-25 inches

21 inch.jpg

21 inches

23 inch.jpg

23 inches

Hitting below the belt there Bob!

Keep up the good work!

I would recomend you make your final decision on the day once you look at the animal. At the end of the day, you make the final call whether you like the shape of the horns or not, and whether you want to take the animal. 25" might not get you into the books, but I will be happy with a old animal carrying nicely shaped horns any day as a representative. Below is two Nyala that measured 25" flat.
20160305_134256.jpg
20150716_135719-1.jpg

Your outfitter is being rather honest with you. Thats a good thing. You may still get one that is a bit better. Sometimes you set a minimum you want to start with and after 5 days one a little smaller will be just fine. I too look for trophies when paying trophy fees. Not just sorta average. Sometimes the real trophy is in the work you put into it. That is the fun of the hunt. I have had a couple of hunts that way. Best of luck. Bruce

Thanks for the representative pics guys. Those all look fine to me. I guess I just had this incorrect idea that a 25" wouldn't have the parallel section of horns at the top. Beautiful animals!

Those waterbuck are bigger than I thought! The pic with it beside the gemsbok is telling! That being said, I basically chose between a red lechwe and a waterbuck for this trip. I wanted a Lechwe more due to it being a good deal for one on this trip.

On my first safari, the goal was kudu and then nyala. I ended up getting a great waterbuck instead of the nyala- now I have a great reason to go back for more!

Oh, waterbuck are huge! Here's mine:
full

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcdowall

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!