Ammunition on South African Airways (SAA)

Relyt530

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Flying delta from ATL to JNB then SAA to Port Elizabeth. My question is will ammo need to be checked separately on SAA or can it stay in checked baggage?

We made a couple of flights in SA after landing in Joberg. Funny thing was some of them they wanted it separate but no additional cost and others they said nothing and it went in the checked in bag.

If your bag is checked all the way to PE then your original carriers rules should prevail.
On the way home SAA policy will prevail.
So, you will need to be able to carry your ammunition separately, if they require it.

From an old post on the subject.

SAA POLICY
Domestic (within and from the Republic of South Africa)
Departure (Inclusive of International departures)
Firearms may NOT be packed inside checked luggage and must therefore be packed in an appropriate lockable firearm
container or case, separate from checked luggage.
Ammunition must be separated from weapons and although permissible to be packed within checked baggage under aviation regulation, SHOULD be packed as a separate piece of checked baggage in a secure lockable container or ammunition case.
No ammunition may be packed loosely in checked baggage, or within the same case as firearms.
We strongly recommend that ammunition be packed in lockable cases which can be handled.

The latest link: http://www.flysaa.com/na/en/flyingSAA/baggage/firearms.html

I'm planning on the same flight almost but will be flying out of Denver this May. So I have been checking this out to see just what I need to do.

This is from South African Airlines web site:

Ammunition must be separated from weapons and although permissible to be packed within checked baggage under aviation regulation, SHOULD be packed as a separate piece of checked baggage in a secure lockable container or ammunition case. No ammunition may be packed loosely in checked baggage, or within the same case as firearms.

We strongly recommend that ammunition be packed in lockable cases which can be handed in as loose items at the firearm counters to avoid possible delays during checked baggage screening.

Hi Jim P

I have had it gone two (2) ways.

I have had it two way at re check in at Joberg. However SAA requested to weight my ammo in my case two times in my travels.

One time i was allowed to put the locked ammo case back in my luggage
The second time i had to ship the ammo case separate at check in.
Another time they did not weigh or ask about my ammo case, therefor it stayed in my check luggage.

That is why i have my case tagged inside and out, just in case this happens.

Mr. Grage, it appears that when traveling you may expect the unexpected or not it all depends on how the people at the check in are feeling the day that you go up to the counter. I am planning on having a lockable box capable of carrying whatever ammo that I plan on taking along with having a name tag on it along with one inside of it treating it just like another piece of luggage.

I have learned over time to expect the unexpected and to never argue with the people at the counter even if you are in the right. You may try explaining your point of view or even have their regulation printed out so that you can show them why you are doing it the way that you are but just remember: They can make your life a living he double toothpicks if they feel like it.

If you really want to get messed up, fly Air France! Our expierance has been they want some detail differenty every flight. And they "know" they can read the English on their own sign, but they can't:mad:

Have your ammo in a durable locked case inside your luggage, but be prepared to pull it out and check it seperately. Delta is easy and I've not had any issues with SAA. On our last trip SAA had us pull the ammo out, count the actual rounds, wrote it in a notebook and then watched me pack it back into our checked luggage. If I had written down the number of rounds left and just told them, I don't think they even would have looked at it.

My experience matches Brickburn's. Leaving Canada ammo in the luggage was no problem all the way to my final destination (many times). Luggage has tape on it that says ammo.

But when checking in on SAA, they have always insisted on the separate bag for the ammo. Not difficult, just insistent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross