Ammo

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Jeff P, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Jeff P

Jeff P AH Member

For as long as I can remember. 1 of the most commonly given bits of advice was, "take a caliber that you can find ammo for anywhere." Now you can't find commen ammo at any store in the U.S. I'm glad I have a 257 Weatherby in mind for my next hunt. Weatherby was about the only ammo left on the shelf at the local Sporstman Warehouse yesterday. Same with reloading supplies. 257 & 300 Weatherby was all sold out too------when I left.
  2. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Glad all my reloads are in the can waiting to be used.
    I'd hate to head to the local store now and hope something was available.

I will only be practicing with those loads if I can replace them by acquiring new components.
  3. sestoppelman

sestoppelman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa (2)
    Worse is trying to find loading components, especially powder. Our local Wholesale Sports (formerly Sportsmans Warehouse) is closing too, after the big run on AR's and everything else! Was told at one store that it would be 5-7 months to get some Varget.
  4. PaulT

PaulT AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
    Hunted:
    Aus. N.Z & Zim.
    To a certain extent I was fortunate in seeing this comming (the run on components) and started stockpiling several months ago.

By the time all my orders come in I will have several thousand projectiles covering all the calibers I have to reload for, as well as close to 20lbs of various powders.

I'm hoping this is enough to get me through the "back-order" period.
  5. 1ObsessedHunter

1ObsessedHunter AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    +1 This is the right thing to do. I did the same. I try to always keep a stock components on hand.
  6. Buff-Buster

Buff-Buster GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, Nort American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
    Hunted:
    Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta) & Argentina (Cordoba)
    If your in a "bind" and don't mind the premium price, check out gunbrokers.com
  7. Rob44

Rob44 BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Member of:
    NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
    It,s been tough for us re-loaders,,a used single stage press that sold for 50.00 now sells for a 100.00,,hard to justify the extra expense,,,I,m ok with primers, cases,and bullets for the stuff I allready re-load but have acquired three new calibers,,,22-250,,,7MM Rem Mag,,and 30-06 and and have been met with the usual shortages,,,also the ever so popular 9MM pistol and 223 is hard to find either as re-loading components and store bought stuff,,,most of the local re-loading store have either jacked up their price ( won,t be dealing with them) or putting limits on the amount of Powder ,Primers etc to stop hoarders ,,even Cabelas is back ordered 2 months on some supplies
  8. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Veteran

Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    The panic buying has not been a problem for me. I stocked up on mil surplus ammo and some commercial ammo 5-15 years ago. I also shoot only my handloads for hunting and did the same on supplies. I did buy swift and some barnes bullets lately due to the fact that African game will not die using Nosler PAR bullets:) So it is swift and Barnes for my Africa hunt in April/May 2013.
    I have supplies for about 35 different cartridges that I now load for.

I do not feel sorry for those who are just now jumping into the reloading and not being able to get supplies or equipment. They are the ones who are the major reason for the problems. Same goes for firearms and commercial/mil surplus ammo.
  9. Cliffy

Cliffy AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
    Front Sight now suggests trainees bring their own ammo when previously they just about required the use of their own stuff. They can't get enough. I need 800 rds more of 9MM for my course.
  10. colorado

colorado AH Veteran

My Photos:
    It's absolutely terrible. Good thing I have several years supply of reloading components for my 45 ACP, 270s, 375s and 500 Jeffery. Not so fortunate with the 22s and 9mms.