Ammo weight

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by Diamondhitch, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan
    Just a quick Q to those who may have had this same issue.

I placed all my ammo for this may in my lockable case and it weighed 13 lb - including the 3.5 lb case. Has anyone had an issue with this? The weight restriction is on ammo but of course you just never know what someone behind the counter may say about this type of thing. Anyone ever have any problems with this.
  2. James.Grage

James.Grage GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Diamond Hitch

TSA ... will check your ammo case sometimes. I did have this happen to me. They will weight the case then take the ammo out and reweigh the case and contents to see what weight you have.

I have found that using the grocery store scales to weight a box of ammo a very good fit. I double check this against the manufacture weight for the box of ammo.

The case is locked and placed in my luggage and that is locked also. South Africa airlines likes it this way. I have found that 5 boxes of ammo will bring you close to the 11 pounds your are allowed. (depending on the rifle caliber) . Close will get you by, i also put my shell holder, knife and ear plugs in the shell case, never had an issue.
  3. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan
    Thanks James, this is the first time I have had more than a total of 11lb (ammo + box) so I wanted to find out now rather than argueing at check in time.
  4. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Get the wrong guy and you may still have an argument.
    If all else fails take a few bullets out and give them to them as a gift. Preferably in original condition. :)
  5. Scott CWO

Scott CWO AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe and Mozambique
    Case and TSA locks?

What do you guys recommend for an ammo case and are TSA locks the best to use so they can open it if needed? Thanks!

6. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Pelican makes a nice ammo box. I use Cabelas. I try to use non TSA locks.
  7. Scott CWO

Scott CWO AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe and Mozambique
    Ok so I am still confused so please help me out. If the TSA looks in my luggage and find the lockable box, won't they want to open it like the hunter above described? Wouldn't a TSA lock be the only option then?
  8. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    That's a interesting question Scott....I'm not sure what the right answer is.
    You could put a TSA lock while it's in your luggage bag and then change over to a non-TSA lock. Usually if you are traveling with guns the TSA people put 2 and 2 together...especially when they know how touchy hunters are about someone messing with their ammo or gun.
  9. MT Griz

MT Griz AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Namibia, USA- Montana, Alaska
    A non-TSA lock on your gun case.........a TSA lock on your ammo box....you should have no problems. The 11 pounds is for ammo and should not include the weight of your lock box.
    Good hunting!
  10. sestoppelman

sestoppelman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa (2)
    One question, 100 different answers! I just throw my ammo in my luggage and forget it, unlocked in factory or similar boxes. Thats all thats usually called for.
  11. Code4

Code4 AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA, NZ, UK.
    Slightly off topic. Why so much ammo ?

I budget 6 rounds per animal (covers sight in, hunting and emergencies). This was recommended to me and has worked so far. I round the total up to the nearest box of 20.
  12. Hank2211

Hank2211 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province), Cameroon, Argentina
    I've always brought the maximum I'm allowed, and have never used most of what I bring. But ammo is very expensive in Africa, and good ammo is generally hard to find (I tend to use Barnes X bullets). So I end up leaving a bunch of decent ammo behind, and every PH I've had has been grateful.
  13. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    I brought enough to complete the safari with either of my 2 guns, you can never be too careful plus one was a .338 Lapua which is what upped the total weight so much. Still by your calculation I would have needed 78 rounds on that safari anyway (even more if I had filled my list) LOL