Amazing trip so far.... Waterbuck

Congrats on the all the animals! That is a dandy waterbuck. (y)

R.

Number 5, from our hunt in The Karoo
DSC00388.JPG

Congrats on the all the animals! That is a dandy waterbuck. (y)

R.
Thanks, he won't make book like some of the others but he'll definitely do for a first timer.

nice animals WR , congratulations on geeat trip ,mate ..............

Good looking trophies sir! I like that Waterbuck

KIMG0033.jpg
52+" Eastern Cape kudu will certainly stand on his own ... looking forward to the whole story with photos!
Mm The first photo of him doesnt seem to be working so here's to another try.

At the time these next two guys were taken they were the ultimate on my wish list so obviously I was really humbled to have a shot at two such fine specimens.

The Sable
Charles SA Hunt 7787.jpg

Just because he's such a special animal here's another look at the black wildebeest. This guy wasn't likely to see many more winters and his horns and face show the signs of many well fought battles so it was a real privilege spending a couple of hours stalking, working in for a nice sub hundred yard shot and sending the old man of the herd on courtesy of my favorite rifle, the old trusty model 70 stainless/laminate in 300WM.

He measures just over 30" on both sides and his bases both well beaten and weathered.

What an animal and what a privilege to be part of his story.
DSC00391.JPG

That it is a very beautiful sable and kudu, very exceptional trophies for sure.

Very good trophies, excellent hunt so far, congrats !

Thanks guys, this trip has definitely proven to be amazing angle exceptional in numerous ways. It will no doubt take years to fully appreciate it all.

The big boar warthog and bush pig still elude me but we took a very nice duiker, bushbuck, and springbok today.

Wow, what a ride it continues to be!

IMG-20150809-WA0004.jpg

I hadn't even really considered shooting a Zebra on this trip but the opportunity presented itself and it was hard to say no.

We spotted this pair, a very old Stud and his one mare and a very brief discussion ensured between the property owner and my friend/PH. Apparently the old stud had been causing some problems for them in that he was a cranky old grouch and his one mare appeared to be well past her prime and no longer producing.

The stud hid out in the brush but I was able to set up an ambush for the mare. Once she was down the stud began circling and eventually presented himself in the middle of a herd of giraffes. I sure didn't want to take a chance on accidentally hitting one of the giraffes but after a few minutes he came clear with one just to either side.

I was surprised and impressed at how he soaked up the first round from the .375 Ruger which proved to have been placed just where it needed to be even though the shot was fired at nearly 300yds. Fortunately after a brief time disappearing in the brush he came clear again trying to cross a road at about 250yds and I was able to put another one quickly in him right on the triangle on his shoulder which brought on his end.

Again as was often the case on this trip I was quite impressed with the size of these animals. I had in my mind pictured them to be maybe a little bit bigger than our wild donkeys here in the US but indeed, he was twice that size or more. I'm glad I was shooting the .375R that day instead of the .300wm.

Last edited by a moderator:
For you other rookies preparing for your first hunt, this picture gives you a good idea as to the size of the stud.

I'm not a small guy, I wear a 44 coat. Francois is just a big guy period.

For scale The rifle pictured is the Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan with a 20" Barrel and the suppressor adds about a foot to it.
Stud WR Francois.jpg

The nyala is a stud as well!

Thanks Scott. The whole trip was amazing and from a pure trophy standpoint the Nyala and the Sable were probably my two best animals.

The old Black Wildebeest and Kudu are probably the two I'm most proud of. Both were the result of lots of glassing and long stalks.

The man who owns that ranch was my personal guide and both were somewhat difficult shots that fortunately were well placed. There just wasn't any margin for error with either of them since it was getting very late. Had they run it could have been disastrous since there are lots of Jackal and Leopard in the area.

Packing out the Kudu was the most difficult recovery of the entire trip because of the steep/rocky terrain and the fact it was nearly a mile to the road. We had to bring the entire animal out in one trip due to the predators as well. We really worked out butts off that night. From the time he hit the ground until we had him loaded it was about four hours!

Found this one today. Not the biggest Impala in Africa but he's all mine!

Found a better picture

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross