Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
life member NAHC NRA
Hunted
US, RSA, ZIM
I realized after reading a post that we had done our CBP form# 4457 wrong last year (sometimes ignorance is bliss). Luckily it went fine with SAPS.

As it is quite a distance to the nearest border or international airport, I was wondering if there is a alternative to the 4457 form. Someone that went several years ago said that they had gone to the police station and had some papers filled out but didn't remember what it was for.

Is there something that can be used as proof of ownership for the guns rather than the CBP form# 4457?

Proof of firearm ownership which is used also as a proof of export and sometime can replace the gun license as some countries, including the United States, do not issue gun licenses. Some countries do not require it; though we recommend while traveling to always carry it with you along with a copy, in case of flight delays, change of route... It is mandatory to have for some countries that usually want the proof in the form of a custom declaration letter from the country of origin for each firearm. You can register your firearms with the Department of Homeland Security U. S. Customs and Border Protection, you can download the form of the Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad (CBP form# 4457) along with its’ instructions directly at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/forms/. Bring along the original as well as a copy that can be handed out to custom officials.

Should the link to the Department of Homeland Security U. S. Customs and Border Protection no longer exist please visit the home page of CBP at www.cbp.gov/ and just simply browse through their web site to find the link to “forms” and look for “CBP form# 4457”.

I would suggest filling out two separate forms, one for your firearm(s) and possibly one for your personal item(s) like binoculars, camera(s) and other valuables as it will prove that you brought those along on your trip and that you did not purchase of these items overseas.

JamieD, I have heard also of hunters traveling with their original invoices, however I don't know that it replaces the CBP form# 4457 if required as proof by a certain country... One time it will go through and another it won't!

Thanks for the time Jerome.

I don't think I stated my question very well. Our tripe will leave the States from Atlanta to Joberg, then drive to Zim via. Botswana.

Checking the CBP sight they will except proof of insurance as a replacement for the 4457 to show proof of ownership before we left.

My question is for SAPS in RSA. As you mentioned the US doesn't license guns so I need a proof of ownership that SAPS will except in replacement of the 4457. Getting the form isn't the issue. We would have to drive 200 miles to get it signed by a CBP officer, unless there is another way to validate it.

Jerome

USA passport holders are able to use invoices for cameras, binoculars and cameras...or other expensive items you are traveling with...it was suggested to me to have a 4457 form and get a separate one for each item.

If you have a firearm they are waiting for you with your rifle, you gather your bags and they go through all of them...when they get to an item and they are questioning you, then produce your 4457 form for that item...if you give all your 4457 forms to the agent they will make you locate every item that you have a 4457 form for as they will want to see them. (i have a notebook with envelopes indicating what item i have a individual 4457 form for)

When USA citizens are returning to USA Customs they wants to see the 4457 for your rifle(s)...

JamieD, I have heard also of hunters traveling with their original invoices, however I don't know that it replaces the CBP form# 4457 if required as proof by a certain country... One time it will go through and another it won't!

JamieD

i do believe that you are from Canada? What form does Canada use to determine gun ownership? That is the form you will need...

Now coming from Canada to the States you need to have a gun registration form, i know that i need one to travel to Canada. to show ownership...with rounds of ammunition...

Being an Canadian citizen this is the form you will need to get you rifle and ammunition through customs while driving or flying to the United States.

I have many Canadian friends who do this yearly...you need to start early on this as they do a very detailed back ground check on you to obtain the first one...renewals are a lot quicker...If you have a ny driving record or police record this will cause this process to grind to a stop and could take you years to get straightened out...

If you do not have this Canadian form currently in hand and if you are flying in the next 4 to 6 months you need to fly out of Canada...in talking to my friends you did not give your self the time required to have the form issued to you by the Canadian government.

Thanks for the time Jerome.

I don't think I stated my question very well. Our tripe will leave the States from Atlanta to Joberg, then drive to Zim via. Botswana.

Checking the CBP sight they will except proof of insurance as a replacement for the 4457 to show proof of ownership before we left.

My question is for SAPS in RSA. As you mentioned the US doesn't license guns so I need a proof of ownership that SAPS will except in replacement of the 4457. Getting the form isn't the issue. We would have to drive 200 miles to get it signed by a CBP officer, unless there is another way to validate it.

I have never been asked by any agent anywhere to produce my 4457 of which I have 3 owing to filling them up with many items. You dont need a form for each item, just one for as many items as space allows. The closest I ever came to having to show one was years ago upon return from Botswana, an agent in NY asked if all the serial numbers of my stuff would match the 4457 numbers, and when I said yes and offered to show him he said thats OK, move on. Like most of this bureaucratic nonsense, experiences differ.

James

I am from the States.

My question was; is there another way to show proof of ownership of my guns to SAPS other than the 4457 form, as I live quit a distance from a customs office to get it signed by a customs officer.

Or can another official (sheriff, police chief) sign the 4457.

Jamie,

I have been to Africa 4 times in the last 32 months.

Upon every return I am asked to produce the 4457.

On arrival in Zimbabwe I was asked for my "Gun Registration" I do not try to explain we do not have registration in the US I just hand them the 4457. This has happened in Bulawayo, Harare, and Vic Falls.

To receive my SAPs paperwork to transit through SA I sent in a notorized copy of my 4457, did not ask why, but it was required.

My advise is to take any rifle you may bring to Africa, download the 4457 form, type in all the information nice and neat, print it on 8.5 by 11 paper, put one gun on each form, drive the 200 miles and have it signed. Laminate the forms and you are good to go.

It is a pain in the butt, but much better than trying to explain to a Zim official why you do not have your "registration".

JamieD, I think the best would be for you to call the U.S. Customs and Border Protection to find out.

I imagine that you could have the form signed by a CBP Officer at the airport the day of your departure. Since they will need to inspect the goods, the process would have to take place prior to checking in your luggage. Contact your airport of departure to find out if this can be done and allow time to handle this prior to checking in...

Here are the Instructions that come with the CBP Form 445

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Complete the Original only.
2. Prior to Departure, present the described articles and the completed form to a CBP Officer for comparison and signing of the form.
3. The signed form is to be returned to the applicant and must be shown to CBP each time the registered article(s) are returned.
4. This certificate is not transferable.
5. Note: Foreign repairs or alterations to articles (whether or not the articles are registered with CBP) are dutiable. Such repairs or alterations must be declared to Customs when the articles reenter the United States, whether or not they were done free of charge.

Jerome beat me to this but as the form states it must be signed by CPB and it does not list alternates. The best thing to do is get everything registered by CBP before going to the airport to save time and anxiety about it, even if it is a ways from home. Its all under Homeland Security now. But unlike Mike above I have never been asked to show one, however per what Mike says here, I fully expect to have to show it this upcoming trip to Zim.

It's a pain in the ass, but you will have to drive 200 miles and get it signed and the little red seal or stamp put on the 4457 form. It's not convenient at all where I live too. That's why if I do drive there....I get a few guns registered. The forms are good forever....and I laminate mine and keep them in my gun safe.

When i went to customs to have the 4457 filled out they would not take the ones that i had filled out and down loaded from the web...we went through the process one item at a time...back and forth to and from the truck...it was only 20 feet away...

The form is worthless with out the Seal or Stamp that validates the 4457 form.

While i had copies they were not what customs wanted to see...they did not have a seal or stamp on it...a copy does not cut it they told me...they wanted the original...

You men are missing the important validations seal-stamp...that need to be on the original...and that what they want to see...

In Seattle last November i was asked to produce the 4457 for rifle, Leica ranger finder and Zeiss & Leica binoculars.

The form is filled out and in a rush and will sometimes you will want to pick it up right away and put it away with out the Seal on it... take time to review your 4457 for with the agent to make sure it is a good one that will let you back in the country with your equipment.

James,

Out of curiosity why would they not accept the forms you filled out prior to arrival the CBP office?

They were always very happy my forms were completed before I arrived.

Usually the 4457 is stamped AFTER putting all the info down and signed by CBP. In Seattle where I was born and raised they think they have a different set of rules. Its why I left in the '80's. They were just "excercising" their authority. Really though all of these stories seem kinda weird to me as like I said above, never been an issue and never been asked to produce one. No doubt that will change.

I've been asked for one for my firearms every time I returned to the US. Instead of driving all over creation to get a CBP signature & stamp, I take the form to my local post office and ask the agent there to stamp it with a dated postmark. This has only been questioned once, at LAX. As soon as the supervisor saw the form, he apologized and said, "have a nice day". When I asked him to go ahead and do the official CBP signature & stamp, he politely informed me that it was someone else's job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg